Support Material Removal

Talk about anything.
Theodorehip

Support Material Removal

Post by Theodorehip » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm not that new to the 3D printer world, and I've had my UP Plus for over a year now.
This wasn't a problem in the beginning but in the last few months it seems almost impossible to remove the base support raft from any print.
It sticks to the model and refuses to come off despite my best efforts with several different tools. Sometimes I can take slivers and, even rarer, chunks off of it.
I've tried different settings and nothing seems to help.
Any suggestions?

caesar

Re: Support Material Removal

Post by caesar » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:37 am

Dry filament solved this problem for me.
Keep the unused filament spools in a closed box and add a room dehumidifier.

Theodorehip

Post by Theodorehip » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:54 pm

Thanks, I will try that.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:07 am

caesar wrote:Dry filament solved this problem for me.
Keep the unused filament spools in a closed box and add a room dehumidifier.
Or kitty litter - I keep mine in a sealed drum with litter in the bottom to wick away the moisture.

Another reason for your problem might be you are using a lower temp ABS now instead of the genuine stuff. A temp mod is the easiest solution to this. Of course if you were using the same ABS before you had issues this wouldnt be the problem.

Theodorehip

Post by Theodorehip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:57 am

Actually, this did start happening after i started using a different ABS. How can i know if it is low temp, and then what temperature would it have to be?

roller

Post by roller » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Essentially only the genuine ABS and a few rare exotic other ABS are designed to operate at the default high temp of the Up/Afinia. Just about everything else is designed to be used at about a 40C degrees (on average) lower temp. If you are in the US, Octave sells some temp mods to get your aftermarket ABS to the same support removal (and quality) as the genuine ABS. If you're in the Australia or do mind being ripped off for shipping and waiting a while I can do you one as well. It's a simple plug in mod - easily removed if you need to send back your printer and does no harm - it just lies to the printer about how hot the extruder is getting.

Theodorehip

Post by Theodorehip » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Before i go off and buy some mods for my printer, i just ordered a new batch of plastics from the UP manufacturers, and there are still issues with the support material. Is there any reason for this?

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:36 am

Having the fan door fully open will allow for faster cooling which will make the raft easier to remove, but unfortunately sometimes can cause the print to warp.

Also I have found that having the nozzle set too close to the perfboard can make the raft more difficult to remove. You have to find that sweet spot. Too far away and the raft won't stick properly to the perfboard and will come loose, too close and the raft is hard to remove from the print. Have to find that "sweet spot", which I found to be about 2 sheets of copy/printer paper thickness with just slight resistance.