New Ninjaflex Colors Announced

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:54 pm

http://www.fennerdrives.com/ninjaflex3dprinting/_/3d/
feb2014-colors-b.jpg
feb2014-colors-b.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 6879 times

Rhenium

Re: New Ninjaflex Colors Announced

Post by Rhenium » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Has anyone used this flexible filament? Particularly in an Up?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Rhenium wrote:Has anyone used this flexible filament? Particularly in an Up?
Yes, I use it frequently with my (modified) Up. It's not easy-peasy, but it can be gotten to work. I think if you search the forum for "Ninjaflex" you'll find my accumulated knowledgebase on the stuff.

julia

Astro

Post by Astro » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:44 pm

Julia,
Do you think that Ninjaflex would be good for gaskets/ seals?

Trent

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Astro wrote:Julia,
Do you think that Ninjaflex would be good for gaskets/ seals?

Trent
It would depend on the fluid you're trying to contain and its pressure, how you print the gasket, how tightly the gasket is squeezed, etc. With my usual print settings - 0.25mm layers, 4-6 layer thicknesses, and Fine speed, I can actually see tiny pinholes of daylight through the "weave" of the part. Maybe if you squeezed it tightly enough between two parts of your fitting it would make a good gasket, or maybe not - hard to tell without trying it.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Julia,
I notice that in another thread regarding Ninjaflex you reckoned you had problems with the black material. Did you ever get good results?
I ask as I just got 10 metres of black Ninjaflex filament and having taken note of all the thread comments, tried it.

I found that all the suggested temperatures were too low causing the prints to have some stringy laydown that left voids in the print. However I have , by experimentation, come to the following settings that give good gaskets with no pinholes. I have yet to try one in vengeance though !

Extrude temperature 260 degrees.
Z Axis 0.20mm
Part Layers 5
Fill Fine
Unsolid on
Raft None.

Printing 2mm thick gaskets produce good results, with one caveat; you need to manually help the filament into the extruder. Just a gentle force downwards by gripping the thread between two fingers. (Tedious, but does the trick, so long as you are not going for gaskets that would take hours to print). I guess if you were to need lengthy print times then some form of additional DC motor pinch drive mounted above the extruder inlet may work, just a dc motor set to a low stall current would do it.

In terms of platform, all my test pieces adhered nicely to both a bare platform and Kapton, and released easily. All with platform at 100 degrees. I have the feeling that it would adhere in a similar fashion to a cold platform but have not tried it.

Anyway thought this may help anyone looking to print gaskets with black ninjaflex.

cheers

Peter

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks, Peter! Funny thing about the black: when I first got it I could not print with it at all, it just wouldn't feed. But a month or two later I tried it again and it worked fine! I don't know if maybe I changed the nozzle or something in the meantime, but I think it could be possible that the filament improved with exposure to air. On the FennerDrives site I think it mentions something about it being treated or coated with a friction-reducing agent to minimize downtube friction, and this might worsen slippage in the Up feed mechanism. Maybe it dries out over time?

I print it at 220 or 230 with 0.25mm layers and Fine speed on glass with no raft.

Julia