Classes for beginners

Talk about anything.
kungfuguy

Classes for beginners

Post by kungfuguy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi all

I my previous post I expressed interest getting in on 3d printing. I'm not an engineer. And returning to school for 4 years was not my intent. Well I found local business that sells printers and is offering classes for beginners. Sounds cool?

A2A Printer's website is only an online store. They sell Mendels and it's mostly build it yourself. Their office is a bit sketchy. There's no signage. They share the office with their sister company. The owner is an engineer. Claims to have taught college classes. Has sold 500 units to mostly students and universities. The class will be $600 for 40 hours. Cad and building a printer will be involved. The printer will cost extra. The models I saw were awful. Resolution is too low. If I complete this class I will be stuck with a useless printer. They hope to start classes at the end of this month or early Feb once enough students sign up.

I hoping this class will lead to a new career opportunities. Does this sound good?

a2aprinter.com

Numonic

Re: Classes for beginners

Post by Numonic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

I would just get the Up Plus or the Up Mini, learn a bit of Autodesk inventor on your own or Solidworks, or even Rhino.
The Up Mini is setup so all you gotta do is software calibrate and you can do the printing straight away. That is if you are interested in tinkering with the machine settings. I don't really care or even want to deal with tinkering I needed this machine to print my parts and ideas and trouble shoot those problems.

I was reading and I was thinking of the price at first I as hesitant but I did read that you go over Cad and building a printer. I personally wouldn't do it cause of the results of those machines you mentioned. Keep the search going but this is just my opinion.

eyUP

Re: Classes for beginners

Post by eyUP » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 am

The course sounds good if you are actually interested in the mechanics, electronics and firmware side of those kinds of 3D printer.
Otherwise I'd be tempted to go for a purely 3D CAD course, buy an UP! Printer and read the manual...anything you need help with on the printing side, ask here.
I think the best skill you can have is being able to design good 3D models and a good understanding of manufacturing limitations..ie, will I actually be able to print or machine this thing ?
The DIY 3D printer market will probably die out as they become more like desktop printers - how many people know or even care what firmware is in their inkjet printer ? Or make modifications to improve it's performance ?
That's my 2c's anyway!