What is the chance of getting a larger UP2 this year?

Talk about anything.
hajime

What is the chance of getting a larger UP2 this year?

Post by hajime » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:05 am

What is the chance of getting a larger version of UP Plus 2 this year? Even double the build vol would be good.

Lawrence

Re: What is the chance of getting a larger UP2 this year?

Post by Lawrence » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:27 am

Good luck with this one!

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:25 am

Doesn't sound very positive... Is it that difficult to just double the dimension of each side?

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Not difficult. It has been canvassed before. Got nowhere.

woofy

Post by woofy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Well hopefully UP will get their act together and produce a larger machine. We have been calling for it long enough.

If they don't then they are lost. Look how quiet this group has become lately. There is a reason for that and its the people who have bought larger machines have moved to the likes of Ultimaker (as I have) and Zortrax. You'll find quite a few members of this forum over on the Zortrax forum. People want larger machines and are buying them now. I still have my UP plus but it gets a lot less use now.

So to answer, hopefully yes, realistically - I doubt it.

Maybe Edward or one of the UP team could chime in here and give us a hint as to whats to come?
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:30 am

I agree that 8 x 8 x 8" or slightly larger is becoming the new standard. That said, my two Ups still get plenty of use even though I own a Zortrax - they are great little workhorses for smaller jobs and still the best entry-level printer on the market imo.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi
I agree with Julia.
There are other 3D printers that do a great job printing larger models, and it is good to now have a huge range of brands to choose from.
BUT, when it comes to printing smaller models that require very good accuracy the UP!Plus is hard to beat.
I never cease to be amazed when I M2.5 print nuts and bolts that screw together smoothly. My larger printers could not achieve that sort of accuracy - even with 0.1mm layers and using very fine settings.
So, I am now content to use other brand printers for the big stuff and my mighty little Up! for the smaller but more accurate models.
Just my own opinion
Regards
Lawrence

dsk0l

Post by dsk0l » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:27 pm

I spoke with an Afinia representative at the 3D Printer World Expo in Burbank, CA a couple weeks ago. Even though I am an Up! Plus 2 owner, I asked them if they knew of any bigger printer in the works (I figured if Afinia releases one so will the Up people). He didn't tell me any specifics, except that they are researching bigger build volumes. It seemed like (from what I could gather) a printer with a bigger build volume is in the works, but I could be wrong.

For what it's worth, he also said they plan on releasing Nylon as a material for the Afinia H-series/Up!.

-David

Rhenium

Post by Rhenium » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:40 pm

I'll admit I am very much on the fence. The Up! series is mature and importantly (to me) has integrated support material. But now new printers like the Zortrax are coming out with support material and a bigger build volume.
I loved my UP! right up until ESD killed the motherboard, and so I'm quite uncertain if I will buy another...