how do you water tight a sketch up model?

Talk about anything.
mec949

how do you water tight a sketch up model?

Post by mec949 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:06 am

My sketch up models are letting me down just a little.
Is there a plugin or tool to water tight a sketchup model (with out uploading it to a cloud or service [as I refuse to do this])

Free is good, but inexpensive will be considered

Thank you and merry xmas

roller

Re: how do you water tight a sketch up model?

Post by roller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:29 pm

I am first wondering why you refuse to user a cloud service.

Second, not being watertight with Sketchup is generally the result of not using sketchup properly though as models get extremely complex it's easier to generate errors if you're not careful. I use the solid inspector to check my model for issues before saving out to STL.

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/conte ... -inspector

If you are serious about 3D modelling for 3D printing it's worth looking at other packages. Sketchups orientation and bias to 3D massing models for architecture does mean it's poor at making good skinned models.... but it is easy to use. I'm moving my skills over to Rhino but Sketchup often sucks me back in. You could try the obtuse Autodesk design 123D as an alternative - it's free, oriented toward solid modelling ... but it's never really gelled with me.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Hello Mec,
also consider using the free version nof their Netfabb Software, while not as simple as their cloud service, their repair tools can fix simple errors easily. It also shows where the problem occurs, if you want to fix it manually.
Also Meshlab if you like to tinker.
What problem occurs, did the print fail? The "print unsolid model" of the UP software ignores small errors effectively ;-)

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Marcus wrote:Hello Mec,
also consider using the free version nof their Netfabb Software, while not as simple as their cloud service, their repair tools can fix simple errors easily. It also shows where the problem occurs, if you want to fix it manually.
Also Meshlab if you like to tinker.
What problem occurs, did the print fail? The "print unsolid model" of the UP software ignores small errors effectively ;-)
Since about two years ago, Netfabb greatl reduced the effectiveness of the free version to differentiate it from the paid version. I find it does not do a good job anymore - mostly it does more damage than repair.

mec949

Post by mec949 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:01 am

thanks for the replies.
I dont like sending files away to other services because I dont believe that I have full control the model anymore.
I am very much of the mind that i like to do the work on my own computer. Like making a model from a photo/s, why should I send it away when your home computer should be able to do it, with the right software.

I will look into the software you have mentioned and see if that helps.

Im doing simple low poly models, yet every model? seems to have the occasional face not printed.
The 'fix' in the Up software does not seem to do much.

Still im having alot of fun with my new machine.

merry xmas upers

chippwalters

Post by chippwalters » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:09 am

I used to use SketchUp for all my 3D modeling, but after continual challenges trying to make a surface modeler (SU) create solid models (STL), I have since switched to Autodessys Bonsai3D (or FormZ the higher priced version) which behaves similar to SketchUp but creates solid models-- so no problems with watertight STL files. Worth a look.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:51 am

I have 30 years of experimenting with software, first in 2D and then 3D option I had all the programs mentioned in this forum, my philosophy is ease of work versus work time and a fast render, texture and ease of use Photo and video lights and I can do this only in Rhino is not stubbornness is just the result of 30 years of software.

J

chippwalters

Post by chippwalters » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:46 am

30 years? That would mean you were using CAD software in 1984? I'm curious what versions you may have been using? I believe AutoCad may have just came out around then. Soon thereafter there were a very small smattering of 3D programs. On the PC, the big one was Cubicomp-- and they had their own framebuffer which could render in 256 colors PHONG shaded! Wow (really it was Wow back then!). There might have been another one or two pc programs which could do some wireframing 3D, but not much.

On the Mac the first 3D app I can remember was (believe it or not) a solid modeler called Easy3D which allowed for boolean addition, subtraction and intersections of basic shapes. There were some more serious ones on the Amiga, among them Sculpt3D which was the first ray tracer I remember seeing. Also on the Mac was Super3D which was the first animatable display list 3D processor. I remember writing a simple animation engine for NASA and Super3D in Hypercard where we did 3D egress/ingress simulations showing how space station crew would board a crew emergency return vehicle (CERV-- basically a lifeboat for the space station). This happened somewhere around 87 I think.

Back then, one could really KNOW all the 3D apps available. Now, it's just too much. I've heard good things about Rhino and have friends in Japan who use it exclusively with 3D printing, even though it's a surface modeler. Just not my cup of tea yet..

Here's a guy who is a master using SoftImage. Vitaly Bulgarov. He's modeled and rendered each of these robots in a single day. Sheesh-- good stuff for sure. His main technique is box modeling. One advantage of Sub-D modeling is it's ability to 'design while you go' which is more difficult than more CAD like programs (other than purely parametric). Here's a video of him modeling: http://youtu.be/4ct9voyU3h0

Just goes to show it takes all types...

mec949

Post by mec949 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:38 pm

I found a sketch up plugin called solid solver by a talented individual calling themselves TIG on sketchucation. Does the job.
If you want a link I'll find it.

:mrgreen:

roller

Post by roller » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:47 am

Interesting - that solves the issue for you - it would be interesting to see if it can handle everything. I like solid inspector because usually the only time there is an issue with solid in my model it is because I have made a mistake - but this is much easier for new users. Links for solid solver:

From the official sketchucation release:
http://sketchupplugins.com/plugins/solidsolver/

This will be the most up to date version and also has inline discussion of some of the issues. Presumably you should be able to get it through the plugin manager too.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:51 am

My first CAD was Mac Draft , Canvas , the first 3D software was Architrion , later Infiny D and more more , my first machine was a Mac 512 without HD only a floppy , I laugh today , I have many stories to tell . I was used Easy 3D and time not listening to the Hipercard was the first moving images jejeje a lot of time .

J

mec949

Post by mec949 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:59 am

roller,

i used the solid inspector as well but the latest version of solid solver just seems to go through and fix everything, at least to the extent that i need it at the moment. happy : )

my prints dont have gaping holes or faces missing anymore (fingers crossed) so ill see where it takes me.

also printed the pink panther lady, 1.5 - fine, turned out perfectly

:mrgreen:

njd13

Post by njd13 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:26 pm

the plugins I use are

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/cleanup%C2%B3
and Solid Inspector.

Then I use netfabb just in case.

I have also started using Designspark Mechanical, which is free and is like a more advanced sketchup. Once you get the hang of using Designspark, it is a really powerful, and I picked it up really fast due to the similarities with Sketchup.
http://www.designspark.com/eng/page/mechanical