Whats your answer to the Printed Gun Question?

Talk about anything.
Bindw

Whats your answer to the Printed Gun Question?

Post by Bindw » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:58 am

Every time I mention 3D printing at social events the inevitable 3D printed gun question gets asked. I usually say something like " its not as easy as just pressing a button" and try to change the subject . Its a lame response, I know!
What do you say when the gun question rears its ugly muzzle?

roller

Re: Whats your answer to the Printed Gun Question?

Post by roller » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:10 pm

I can also make a gun with much great reliability on my CNC and it's been around for 10 years. In fact there are a number of home made weapons that show similar or greater levels of sophistication with less effort than 3D printing.... why don't these make the news ... maybe cos they are not new but they are also less likely to blow your thumb off than a 3D printed plastic gun.

Perhaps the legislation needs to focus on possessing weapons such as these and make them even more stringent than conventional ones. The reality is that it is fundamentally as simple as pressing print and maybe penalties so be so strict it should even deter ones curiosity. Keep in mind I come form a country which has a culture of deterring gun ownership and assault weapons are automatically and universally banned ... we have no right to bear arms.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 pm

I tell them that right now it's more dangerous for the person who tries to pull the trigger, and that every new technology has been used for criminal purposes. Right now more people where harmed by the invention of the press then by home-made guns.
Everyone capable of operating a 3d printer and able to afford one is probably able to create a gun with a lathe/CNC or other tools.

I do find discussions like this interesting though as long as they are based on facts and not scandalous TV reports.

I think 3d printer will progress. Right now first machines for $200 are announced, $300 buys you a Printrbot.
Right now it involves a lot of tinkering.
In the near future cheaper, reliable machines will be available.
One day it might be as easy as pressing a button. New machines able to print more rigid plastics or even metal (see the metal clay printer, the $1500 SLS...). It is good that there is some kind of discussion about this. I just wish all the TV and written reports would actually be informative and realistic.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:25 pm

I just wish all the TV and written reports would actually be informative and realistic.
Who's not being realistic now ;)

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Here's what I wrote on my blog on the topic a few months ago:
One of the unfortunate side-effects of the massive hype over 3D printing is that you get people trying to ride the wave to promote their own agenda. Recently someone managed to 3D print a gun and fire it without killing himself. This was intended to make some sort of political point about firearm regulation: I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but it was something along the lines of "if anyone can 3D print a gun, then there's no point in trying to regulate them, so just give up."

Others have made the counter-arguments, which boil down to "anyone with access to basic metalworking tools can already make a gun, so what's your point?" and "why would you bother when it's easier and safer to buy a manufactured gun," and "just because something is easy doesn't mean it should be legal." My own opinion is that this is really just a publicity stunt, and only distracts from the more interesting (and separate) issues surrounding 3D printing and firearm regulation. It clearly is not a demonstration of either a particularly useful application for 3D printing, or responsible gun ownership.
http://www.frozennorth.org/content/stat ... ummer-2013

Macman

Post by Macman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:49 pm

A kevlar filament fed into your plastic would allow the printing of a bullet proof vest, and would go some way to countering a printed gun :roll:

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:35 pm

people tell me 3D printed guns only last for a few shots so whats the point, I tell them I print out a 10 pack, so whats the diff!?!?... ;)

nickw

Post by nickw » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:34 pm

I try to just avoid the question all together. If someone really presses the issue i try to make it clear that it is analogous to putting explosives into lego plastic.
Also, here in the states it's practically easier to get a firearm than a healthy snack so im not worried about printed guns.
IMO there should be more conversation about the positive possibilities of 3d printing... which is probably why i couldnt be a journalist :o

brad72

Post by brad72 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 am

I make knives as another hobby and the first thing people say to me is "who are you trying to kill". They never see the practicality of a knife or understand the satisfaction of creating something with your hands.

Why would we be bothered to make a gun unless is were for a prop. A media storm in a teacup I think although it is bound to increase sales of printers. I am sure a far stronger gun could be made from items purchased at your local hardware store.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:59 am

brad72 wrote:I make knives as another hobby and the first thing people say to me is "who are you trying to kill". They never see the practicality of a knife or understand the satisfaction of creating something with your hands.

Why would we be bothered to make a gun unless is were for a prop. A media storm in a teacup I think although it is bound to increase sales of printers. I am sure a far stronger gun could be made from items purchased at your local hardware store.
Yup, much easier to make a useful gun on my hobby CNC than my 3D printer. The result would be more durable, reliable and easier to do. Funny thing about perceptions though ... I had a friend in the UK that made knives and swords. If he told people he made knives people he made knives he had reactions similar to what you report ie "who are you going to stab". If he told them he made swords they would be, "oh that's cool - what kind of swords". It's curious people perceive the multifunction tool (a knife) to be more offensive than a purpose built weapon designed to kill and mame (a sword).