Octave Enclosure

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

Octave Enclosure

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 am

Since the cold weather set in I've been having much more frequent warpage problems, while coincidentally at this time I need to print a large project enclosure which has been proving pretty much impossible. So I decided to give the Octave enclosure a try and ordered the fully-enclosed one that has a door.

First off, the delivery time was amazing - I ordered it Monday and received it Tuesday, without paying any premium shipping charges. I think it ships from Long Island and I'm in CT.

I was prepared for mediocre quality - the photos on Octave's website make it look like it's made of thin sheet metal, and there have been some negative reviews of it in other posts here. I was very pleasantly surprised - the quality and attention to detail is excellent throughout. It's made of thick plastic that has an attractive "hammered" texture that makes it look professional and industrial. All of the joinery is clean, precise, and solid. The printer feet fit perfectly into the recesses provided in the base to lock it in position. There's plenty of clearance to make connections, etc, and a nice door on top for access to the extruder inlet. The charcoal filter for the fan is on the inside, and there's a shroud that seals it to the fan so no air bypasses the filter. The fan is quiet, the built-in lighting is excellent, and the door has a nice magnetic catch. There were early complaints about the lack of a power switch, but Octave has added an inline rocker switch to the power cord. Overall the product is well-thought-out and well-made.

When the enclosure arrived I was in the middle of printing some parts with Taulman 645 nylon. I didn't feel like breaking the setup down to switch to ABS, so I tried the nylon part in the enclosure. I hadn't had time to dry the nylon and I was getting a lot of steam and popping, but it was OK for these parts. I didn't expect to see much difference in nylon with the enclosure, but I was surprised to see that the part that came out of the enclosure was much smoother, support came off more easily, and it was more dimensionally accurate than the parts just printed with exactly the same settings and same filament without the enclosure.

Once I'd finished the nylon stuff I tried my "impossible" project enclosure. It's pretty flat and too big to print on the Up laying down so I'm printing it "standing up" and angled at 45 degrees Z on the platform - it just barely fits. Prior to the enclosure I'd tried it with 3rd party ABS (splitting/delamination) and with OEM ABS (no delamination, but it ripped itself off the raft). With the enclosure there was no delamination and the raft stayed intact - the only warpage was due to the perfboard bending up off the aluminum bed a little bit. Big difference!

I've printed a few other parts since and in general the enclosure just seems to make all ABS prints straighter and smoother. I just printed some parts raftless on glass with glue stick that used to pop off frequently mid-print. With the enclosure they stayed put. I'd previously been skeptical about enclosures but I am now a believer.

I suspended a remote thermometer probe in the vicinity of the build area and it gets up to around 40 degrees C during printing. There is no forced-air cooling of the electronics compartment, so I put the probe right up against one of the cooling slots in the Afinia's base and measured a max temp of about 27 C. I really should put it inside the housing where the electronics are, but seeing only 27 down there makes me feel pretty confident that I'm not cooking them - electronics can generally run fine in 50-60C ambient. It would be quite easy to add some forced-air cooling down there if you really wanted to.

One annoying thing that's not really a design flaw is that the bottom of the door is only about 10mm above the tabletop, which means that anything in front of the door - glasses, parts, tools, whatever - gets knocked off when you open the door. I'm going to add some feet to raise the enclosure a couple of inches off my bench when I get a chance.

Julia
IMG_6423.JPG
IMG_6423.JPG (92.07 KiB) Viewed 18321 times
IMG_6422.JPG
IMG_6422.JPG (102.28 KiB) Viewed 18321 times
IMG_6421.JPG
IMG_6421.JPG (79.86 KiB) Viewed 18321 times

LonV

Re: Octave Enclosure

Post by LonV » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:02 am

Yeah, I like mine too. I too am knocking parts all the time off when I open it. :D

Octave went back and shipped on/off switch power supplies to everyone (that was nice and unexpected), although I do wish the switch were on the device itself. Something that'd be pretty easy to add, but I'm lazy. ;)

My biggest complaint is that the bottom is the same plastic as the sides so the printer bounces on it (since the outer corners are on feet). I want something more solid here. I wish they had also put the same feet at the corners under the printer's feet.

-Lon

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:12 am

I use an IP-controlled power strip so the power switch is a non-issue for me.

I haven't noticed the bouncy floor - maybe that's a shock-absorbing feature? :) I'd think it'd be easily remedied by some stick-on rubber bumpers or such-like if it's truly a problem.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:52 am

Nice review - thanks!

Your results with Nylon are very interesting and it's making me push my enclosure build up the schedule. Sounds like tendency for the warm air to stay at the top of the cabinet is maintaining a safe temp for the electronics below and would make me inclined to not install a fan which might result in more "mixing" of the air. It would be interesting to see how warm it get's near the bottom on a very long print.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 am

LonV wrote:Yeah, I like mine too. I too am knocking parts all the time off when I open it. :D

Octave went back and shipped on/off switch power supplies to everyone (that was nice and unexpected), although I do wish the switch were on the device itself. Something that'd be pretty easy to add, but I'm lazy. ;)

My biggest complaint is that the bottom is the same plastic as the sides so the printer bounces on it (since the outer corners are on feet). I want something more solid here. I wish they had also put the same feet at the corners under the printer's feet.

-Lon
I had the same problem. My fix was to dig through all my old books and magazines until I found one that fit snugly underneath the chassis of the enclosure between the feet. Now its rock solid :)

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:32 am

Thank you for the review of the Octave Enclosure!

I have a different kind of enclosure
Attachments
enclosure.jpg
inexpensive enclosure
enclosure.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 18242 times

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:44 am

Whatever works!

Christina

Post by Christina » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Nice review! I think I'd eventually like to upgrade to something like this in the future. The guys at Octave ship fast and I've always had excellent customer service from them. In the mean time, my warpy enclosure w/free plexi will have to do! ;D

Image Image

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:39019

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Nice! Takes up a lot less bench space than the Octave one, and the door won't knock everything off the table :)

Christina

Post by Christina » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:51 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Nice! Takes up a lot less bench space than the Octave one, and the door won't knock everything off the table :)
True! But yours is so new...and shiny..and new....! :D

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:47 pm

WARNING! Gratuitous self promotion ahead.

This also doesn't take up much bench space, knock things off your table or potentially over heat your electronics. It does however cost more.

Image[/URL]

These are now black though, not the red pictured and suit the Plus v2.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

LonV

Post by LonV » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I like gratuitous self promotion. :D How much is shipping to the US?

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:59 am

LonV wrote:I like gratuitous self promotion. :D How much is shipping to the US?
PM sent!
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Ok, well here are my "homemade" enclosures. Just having the sides and top enclosed helps prevent warping, but the doors can be attached if needed...
Attachments
printer_enlosures_without_doors.JPG
printer_enlosures_without_doors.JPG (68.19 KiB) Viewed 18140 times
printer_enclosures_with_doors.JPG
printer_enclosures_with_doors.JPG (65.51 KiB) Viewed 18140 times

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:11 am

That's awesome! Mine wasn't as nice looking, but before I bought the octave enclosures I also made a few enclosures out of foam board :) cheap and easy.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:31 pm

teamcarlisle wrote:That's awesome! Mine wasn't as nice looking, but before I bought the octave enclosures I also made a few enclosures out of foam board :) cheap and easy.

I used a product called Coroplast which is basically corrugated plastic. Fairly rigid and fairly easy to cut and very inexpensive =)

Neal

Post by Neal » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:35 am

For the low tech solution I just taped together some cardboard boxes. This was going to be temporary but after over a year it is looking permanent. The downside is that Socks has taken to sleeping on top of it in the winter months. It seems to be just the right temperature for a long winter's nap. Hopefully the ABS fumes aren't doing any long term harm to him.
Attachments
006.JPG
006.JPG (71.99 KiB) Viewed 18045 times
011.JPG
011.JPG (83.26 KiB) Viewed 18045 times

hajime

Post by hajime » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:16 am

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:23 am

hajime wrote:Hi Julia,

Is this the one you own?

http://www.octave.com/p1173433209/Octav ... _info.html
Yes.

hajime

Post by hajime » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Julie,

After using it for awhile, do you still think it is good to have the Octave Enclosure?