Printing stacked parts possible?

Talk about anything.
polar8

Printing stacked parts possible?

Post by polar8 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:19 am

Is it possible to print parts stacked on top of each other? I just tried this and my printer seemed very confused. It looks like it tried printing all of the rafts at once, on the same layer. The extruder head started bumping into stuff.

So, has anyone had any success with this?

JuliaDee

Re: Printing stacked parts possible?

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:56 am

Yes, I've done it. I created an STL with the parts already stacked, with 0.5mm between "layers" (see attached). The Up slicer put support in there which came off easily.

julia
F-G 16-up.JPG
F-G 16-up.JPG (35.96 KiB) Viewed 5046 times
Attachments
Linkage shortskinny be-16x 4-up.stl.zip
(70.68 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

roller

Post by roller » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:35 am

If you are adding stuff in the Up software rather than as one prestacked STL I think you might need to "merge" the prints before you start printing (but after you have everything in the right place. I think that will make it happy. It's about a year since I didn't stacked parts - I just don't have a lot of call for it.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:00 am

I guess if you try to stack parts by loading them into the software and then vertically offsetting them in the 3d window it will NOT work. the vertical shift function does not seem to work, I tried the opposite, to start a print part way through, vertically by offestting the item down into the platform. The software ignores it. If you load a single object and then vertically shit it upwards so it floats above the platform, again the software ignores it and just prints as though it was at the base.

Julie's suggestion sounds best
cheers

Peter

Christina

Post by Christina » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:09 am

roller wrote:If you are adding stuff in the Up software rather than as one prestacked STL I think you might need to "merge" the prints before you start printing (but after you have everything in the right place. I think that will make it happy. It's about a year since I didn't stacked parts - I just don't have a lot of call for it.
Yes, merge (wish there was an un-merge button too!) should do the trick so the software compiles the print as one (I'm guessing).

For simple stuff like in Julia's example, I like to stack inside the UP! Software. For more complicated or parts that need a little more finesse, pre-arranging in whatever modeling program you use works just as well.