What do I need to print pla successfully?

Talk about anything.
roller

Re: What do I need to print pla successfully?

Post by roller » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Carnivore wrote:I'm interested in perfecting pla as I print large prints. Can you give more information please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The easy way at the moment is to have a temp mod and print with Colorfabb on the ABS setting at about 210-220C - wind barrier open full and a fan. This gets good results, removable support and it doesn't seem to jam on a long print like other PLA because it seems to have a higher softening temperature.

pp3dp.nl's stated in the paste their solution is to print using software version 1.15 on PLA mode. This doesn't work for me with regular PLA as it still softens and jams after about an hour of printing. The issue of lesser PLAs jamming can be fixed with DrewPetitclerc's air injection cooling solution using a little air pump(apologies if this is not initially Drew's idea). I have one waiting to be fitted so I can use the rest of my PLAs happily.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:46 am

Yes, I only use version 1.15 for PLA and an extra fan blowing on the platform. The Up does not like higher temp PLA and those will cause jams. Most translucent colored PLA's will print very good like this and raft removal will be far better than with ABS. The PLA's with more colorant (this is a guess) or higher temps create more back pressure and I have found the PLA's with lower temp settings to print well in my setup. For instance I use an opaque white PLA with temp 175-200 degrees and that works awesome. It is called NATUREWORKS® 4032.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:13 am

pp3dp.nl wrote:Yes, I only use version 1.15 for PLA and an extra fan blowing on the platform. The Up does not like higher temp PLA and those will cause jams. Most translucent colored PLA's will print very good like this and raft removal will be far better than with ABS. The PLA's with more colorant (this is a guess) or higher temps create more back pressure and I have found the PLA's with lower temp settings to print well in my setup. For instance I use an opaque white PLA with temp 175-200 degrees and that works awesome. It is called NATUREWORKS® 4032.
Just to be clear here between what I have said and what pp3dp.nl is saying ... You want a PLA with a higher softening point and (if you are using PLA mode) a low melting (become liquid) point. A lot of low melting point PLAs have low softening points and jam. Similarly if you are using PLA mode as pp3dp.nl suggest you need to avoid a high melting point PLA as it wont melt enough to work and .. you guessed it .. jam. So PLA choice is key.

To throw a another variable into the equation, many Up's have extruders that get warm quite quick. Some are better than others adn of course your local room temp will have an effect of how fast it heats and how much trouble you have with jams due to softening. My room temp is never ever below 25C. My extruder gets over 50C over an hours print even with a fan so pp3dp.nl's method is not an option for the PLAs I have used to date. For this reason I use the colourfab (high melt point and high soften point) on ABS setting with a mod to bring it down to a reasonable range.

As you can see, some experimentation is necessary to find what suits your materials, your printer and your needs (if you need features not found in 1.15 or run a Mac you cannot use the superior retract settings for PLa in this earlier version) so it's all about experimentation but I think pp3dp.nl and I have given you a good starting point for two alternative approaches... and if your machine is a hot runnner do check out the air pump mods... I am and it may open up using 1.15 to me (though still a pain cos I live in OS X not Windows).

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Yes and yes yes :D

I hope PP3DP will fix the PLA settings like they were in older software because people just need PLA sometimes. Every once in a while people ask how to print PLA as you can see on the forum.
-------> I hope Edward is reading this and can he can help us, please change the PLA settings back to like they were in 1.15 ;)