MadeSolid PET+ filament

Talk about anything.
walter

MadeSolid PET+ filament

Post by walter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 pm

MadeSolid recently sent me a free sample of PET filament and asked me what I thought of it. I figured I'd share my initial impressions here since others may find it useful. I've only used it for a few days, but it has already become my favorite filament. It prints really well on Up printers and fixes the biggest problems I have with ABS, warping and flexibility. I haven't tried any really large prints, but I haven't noticed any signs of warping, even printing with the fan vent fully open and printing at max density. The PET is slightly more flexible than ABS, and springs back after being flexed. It doesn't turn white and deform like ABS. It's not as flexible as Nylon, but it's much more elastic. You can buy the PET+ at http://shop.madesolid.com/collections/plastics.

Printer Setup
I'm using an Up Plus, and printing with the same setup I use for Octave ABS. Raftless on polycarbonate sheets smeared with a glue stick. I mostly printed at 230 degrees, but I'll probably move to around 240-250 degrees for stronger parts. For very small prints, using the fan helps since PET solidifies more slowly than ABS.

Pros
Very easy to use, prints well in the 230 to 270 degree range.
Print quality is excellent, as good as the better ABS filaments.
Feeds perfectly, unlike PLA (my printer is modified to work with PLA so I don't know how it behaves with the stock setup).
Zero warping problems so far (definitely less warping than ABS, not sure how it compares to PLA).
No stringing issues, you get some occasional hairline strings that are easily removed.
Slightly more flexible than ABS or PLA, flexes without deforming.
Seems stronger than ABS, but not as strong as Nylon.
No smell when heated, at least as far as I can tell.
Adheres to ABS so you can mix the two in the same print.
It can be sanded
PET is foodsafe, though I don't know about this particular formulation.

Cons
It's more expensive $70/kg, but you can order as little as 100g for $7,
The color selection is limited (red, green, black, white, clear)
Worse heat resistance than ABS, better than PLA (it gets slightly soft and can deform at boiling temperatures)
The samples I tried had a glossy finish (I prefer matte)

Unknown
I'm not sure about ease of support removal, I've had some mixed results. I still need to do more experimentation with temperature and air cooling.

Pictures
fishing lure tray inserts printed in clear PET+, orange and green accents in ABS (the exterior case is not printed)
IMGP1965.jpg
clear PET+ used for fishing tray inserts
IMGP1965.jpg (222.23 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
carabiner with flexible hinge
IMGP1974.jpg
carabiner
IMGP1974.jpg (176.88 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
detail of the hook inside the carabiner
IMGP1948.jpg
carabiner detail
IMGP1948.jpg (127.89 KiB) Viewed 5448 times

JuliaDee

Re: MadeSolid PET+ filament

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:17 am

Great post, thanks, Walter!

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:44 am

I like it. I'v been keen to get on and build a filament extruder so I can try some stuff like crushing drink bottles into filament. Looks like an interesting material.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:32 am

Out of stock of all 500g spools, and only a few colors of 1kg and 100g. No way to contact them to find out when they might have more :(