Other ABS type materials

Talk about anything.
mnuser

Other ABS type materials

Post by mnuser » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:54 am

Has anybody tried using this to make more pliable objects?

http://www.fennerdrives.com/ninjaflex3dprinting/_/3d/

Thanks!

roller

Re: Other ABS type materials

Post by roller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Julia has used it ... a forum search for ninja will show you the posts.

mnuser

Post by mnuser » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I did do a search and she is doing some cool stuff! I have a ton to learn!

What is the best option in your eyes for replacement ABS filament. I searched amazon and I see some that is for sale but don't want to save a few bucks to just have issues with the product. I want to order some blue and red and if I have to spend 140 for the UP brand I guess I'm OK with that.

Anybody want to offer some insight?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:37 pm

I've used five types of "flexible" materials:

Colorfabb PLA - not rubbery, but much more flexible than pure PLA, and slightly more flexible than ABS. Good for phone covers. Doesn't warp, works well on the Up, no feed problems but it can be stringy. Lots of great colors. Available in the USA from http://www.printedsolid.com/product-cat ... 5-pla-pha/

Bend-Lay - not rubbery, similar in flexibility to Colorfabb. Comes in clear only I think. Prints with incredible precision, awesome stuff. I buy it from orbi-tech in Germany.

Form Futura Flex Eco PLA - Rubbery but fairly hard, around Shore A 60-90 depending on thickness, infill, etc. Very strong, feeds well on the Up if you use "Fine" speed. Large flat parts do warp as they cool. I print it at 220C.

NinjaFlex - Rubbery and much softer than Flex Eco; more like Shore A 30-40. Tricky to use: you have to use Fine speed and you have to babysit the spool (or use a powered auxiliary feeder) so that there is no tension on the filament whatsoever. It may be necessary to use a spring-loaded extruder feeder like Drew's; I'm using it but I don't remember if I tried this material on my other machine with the stock feeder. Nozzle must be clean. I've been printing some fairly complex parts with it quite successfully over the past few weeks, in the red color. I bought a spool of black last week and was completely unable to print with it - the extrusion was extremely thin and feed was unreliable. Same machine, same model, same settings, nothing changed. Put the red back on and it prints fine. Put the black on and it fails. Fenner has taken the black spool back and is studying the problem. When it works it produces nice parts - good detail, good strength, zero warp, and surprisingly easy support removal if you don't let it sit too long.

"Rubber-Like #1" from 3dprintingsystems.com - similar hardness to NinjaFlex, which is to say quite soft. I had a very early spool of this and was only successful with it on one or two prints. Tried again a month or two ago and couldn't get it to work. Bruce reports that he and others have success with it, so maybe it was the early batch or just me.

julia

EDIT: Layer thickness is pretty critical on the rubbery materials, too. 0.25mm seems to work best for me.
Last edited by JuliaDee on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 am

Nice summary Julia, thanks.

mnuser

Post by mnuser » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks Julia. Ordered some of the colorfabb. You are the reason forum boards are so helpful.