PLA on the UP

Talk about anything.
wilsonj

PLA on the UP

Post by wilsonj » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:44 pm

I thought I would share a recent print I did on my UP Plus in PLA. The picture on the left was printed with the stock PLA setting (200C) The one on the right was printed using the ABS setting but with a resistor dropping the temp down to around 230C. Could probably do with a little more air flow to help cool the point of the pyramid.

Material is ColorFabb intense green, .2mm layers.

Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Re: PLA on the UP

Post by roller » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:01 am

Which PLA?

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:37 am

ColorFabb of course! :D
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Interesting. My impression has been that Colorfabb prints better on the PLA setting than the ABS, but that's obviously not the case with your model. The US distributor recommends even lower temps, like setting the Up to PLA and then dropping it another 10 degrees. I'm still experimenting...

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Julia, have you tried it at 190C ? That seems rather low IMO. Would be great if it worked though, as the ABS setting really welds the raft on, where the PLA setting doesn't.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I've printed it on the PLA setting with no resistor, I've printed it on the ABS setting at a variety of temps, including "190C", i.e. 26 Ohms in series with the thermocouple. I also printed something yesterday on PLA setting with 3.6 ohms in series with the thermocouple, but it was a simple, flat part and not a good test. For simple, solid parts with a continuous toolpath it seems pretty non-critical to me; 210-220C on the ABS setting works fine, and I haven't had any raft removal issues. For multiple parts, stringing between them is really bad at this temp; that's when much lower temp was recommended to me but I haven't explored further.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I print the Colorfabb at 200 on ABS setting - I go lower for better support removable. I found I get some stringing on the PLA setting no doubt due to different retraction settings.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:02 pm

I'll try 200 on ABS settings and compare again. Should be interesting as that will show the possible retract difference between the two. But I was pretty happy with 230, except for the raft removal, or lack there of.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 am

wilsonj wrote:I'll try 200 on ABS settings and compare again. Should be interesting as that will show the possible retract difference between the two. But I was pretty happy with 230, except for the raft removal, or lack there of.
It might be 210C ... one of those two! Pretty sure I print at -60C setting on my temp mod.

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:30 pm

I love ColorFabb, but I still don't have a lot of success with it on my Afinia. I usually get one good print out of it, and then the next print the filament has stopped feeding.

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Oh, I thought thats just what you did, as I have been using the ABS setting and just winding down the temp...started doing it with the ecoFlex, to help retraction...after that I tried it with the rest of the rolls I got from you...I did it with the same green ColourFab you have, and its works great so smooth and clean...no warp I love it, but the support is kinda...stuck...stuck well, so I lowered the temp a bit more and it helped...but its still harder to remove, I guess thats PLA??

is there a difference, other than temp, between the way it lays support for ABS or PLA mode...maybe the head moves differently to get a different effect?? or is it ONLY temp difference that is at play? Making the difference only retraction and temp, between the two modes??

cheers

K

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 am

I've printed PLA on the PLA setting and at the same temps on ABS setting. ABS results were better. I think there are different retract settings. I am not sure if the Up software also compensates with feedrates (because PLA bites differently into the extruder gear it will actually feed at a slightly different rate) but it does seem to fill a little more on the ABS setting but this is very hard to tell for sure with the PLA colours/prints I have used for comparison so far.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:56 pm

I have mentioned this many times before but to my knowledge nobody ever tried my advice for PLA on the Up. There are probably differences in the software --> retraction rate and temperature.

-------->Please try the old Windows version 1.15 for PLA, for me that always works and the raft and support removal IS EVEN BETTER than with ABS

So: install version 1.15 next to 2.0, it takes only 2 minutes and call it Up PLA or Up 1.15, I have both icons on my desktop, choose PLA settings and don't forget a small fan blowing on the model.

For me this works for most PLA materials so I don't know why it shouldn't for others. And you can also select the support layers (thickness) in 1.15 which is also nice, why doesn't that work anymore in all later versions?

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:19 am

But not an option for me ----> I print from Mac. I also I find I much prefer a lot of the other new features in software now and having to ditch them to print PLA is not that useful anymore.

dkaygee

Post by dkaygee » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Mac user here (v1.4(2)). My experience with PLA was awful until I got the Octave temp switch. It's the basic one (on or off) and is supposed to drop the temp by 30 degrees. I am using Matterhacker and SainSmart PLA on PLA settings in the UP! software with the Octave switch turned on. My prints are magically easier to remove from the raft and the print quality is better than ever before. There is no need for heating of the platform at all. In fact I leave the door open and the top off to keep it cool as it seems to help.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:50 am

dkaygee wrote:Mac user here (v1.4(2)). My experience with PLA was awful until I got the Octave temp switch. It's the basic one (on or off) and is supposed to drop the temp by 30 degrees. I am using Matterhacker and SainSmart PLA on PLA settings in the UP! software with the Octave switch turned on. My prints are magically easier to remove from the raft and the print quality is better than ever before. There is no need for heating of the platform at all. In fact I leave the door open and the top off to keep it cool as it seems to help.
You must have a very low temp PLA - mine wouldn't extrude at such a low temp (about 170C I think). The big issues with low temp filaments is usually with long prints. The extruder gets hot on long prints and the PLA jams. Have you found that to be the case? I found the problem was even worse on the Mini - even with the front and top open. Have you tried a long/large print yet? I'd love to know how you go.