Filament coil tangling issue

Talk about anything.
XRay

Filament coil tangling issue

Post by XRay » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 pm

I've tried different ways but still can't find a final solution for this: when you use 1kg spool, sometimes the filament get tangled so the extruder wont' be able to pull the material thus stop your printing. Babysitting is not a good solution for 2hr printing obviously. This actually also happened on UP oem spool where a small portion of the coil was flattened out and totally stick to another one. Anybody has found a good solution for this and is willing to share? Thanks.

ktronik

Re: Filament coil tangling issue

Post by ktronik » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:01 pm

sometimes the UP can shake so much it can unwind the spool and tangle...try removing the spool from the machine, and running it on the table, via the new spool holder UP has out, please re-test and to see if issue is gone...

filament sticking together is rare...K

woofy

Post by woofy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 am

I've only had this once, and it was caused be me. When changing spools the filament can unwind and its easy to get a "loose knot" in it. When next used, it looks like the filament is being pulled from underneath a knot.
So when unloading/loading part used spools, make sure the filament doesn't tangle.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44 pm

woofy wrote:I've only had this once, and it was caused be me. When changing spools the filament can unwind and its easy to get a "loose knot" in it. When next used, it looks like the filament is being pulled from underneath a knot.
So when unloading/loading part used spools, make sure the filament doesn't tangle.
Indeed, essentially don't let the filament go slack - it will spring loose around the spool and tend to twist. I keep it tensioned and feed the end through a couple of the hole on the spool so it stays in place. Some spools don't have the holes in which case tape it down to the spool. Don't tape it on to the rest of the filament as tape often leaves residue which will form crud in your extruder later.