Seam not flat when printing a large shell

Talk about anything.
roller

Re: Seam not flat when printing a large shell

Post by roller » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:57 am

Yup - all the time - I print architecture models that get glued together. I used non genuine filament printed at an appropriate temp and heated enclosure kept at 60C+ with a heater. For parts that prove too problematic I resort to PLA or I soften the final print (with a heat gun) to mate it with the other parts.

Carnivore

Re: Re: Seam not flat when printing a large shell

Post by Carnivore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:02 am

roller wrote:Yup - all the time - I print architecture models that get glued together. I used non genuine filament printed at an appropriate temp and heated enclosure kept at 60C+ with a heater. For parts that prove too problematic I resort to PLA or I soften the final print (with a heat gun) to mate it with the other parts.
Can you provide a picture of your closure? Also could you tell me your technique for the heat gun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

roller

Re: Re: Seam not flat when printing a large shell

Post by roller » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Carnivore wrote:
roller wrote:Yup - all the time - I print architecture models that get glued together. I used non genuine filament printed at an appropriate temp and heated enclosure kept at 60C+ with a heater. For parts that prove too problematic I resort to PLA or I soften the final print (with a heat gun) to mate it with the other parts.
Can you provide a picture of your closure? Also could you tell me your technique for the heat gun?

I can after next week ... sorry some major work and uni projects due.

Carnivore

Re: Re: Re: Seam not flat when printing a large shell

Post by Carnivore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33 pm

roller wrote:
Carnivore wrote:

I can after next week ... sorry some major work and uni projects due.
Explain how you would use the heat gun? I'm assuming you just heat up the entire piece but how do you straighten the seam without damaging the shell?