Glue two abs shells together

Talk about anything.
Carnivore

Glue two abs shells together

Post by Carnivore » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:45 pm

I designed a controller shell that I had to split in half due to it being larger than my print area. I'd like to glue it together. Can someone provide an alternative method other than superglue/epoxy?

I heard applying pure acetone to the edge and sticking them together works.

roller

Re: Glue two abs shells together

Post by roller » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:50 am

It does work but I prefer to make some ABS glue. Put some of your waste into acetone and leave it overnight to dissolve. This provides a firmer join, can be a little neater to use and allows you to fill gaps created by minor warping within the printer (almost certain to occur on a large print).

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 pm

For the abs glue, do I need to put it in a glass container with a top?

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Also how long does it take for abs glue to set? I find super glue sets in about an hour when I glue abs pieces together.

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:24 am

Acetone will work, as will MEK if you can access it (the latter is faster). I find it should set within minutes, provided you didn't drench it in the solvent. :)

The local beauty salon supply shop likely sells miniature bottles for storing nail polish, plus large bottles of acetone for use as nail polish remover. It evaporates quickly so don't leave it open for extended periods of time and of course, make sure to have adequate ventilation.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 am

If I use the acetone technique, should I treat the acetone like superglue and glue it accordingly?

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:59 am

Pretty much for any type of solvent weld (e.g. acetone, MEK, toluene?) you put the parts together and put a drop or two of the solvent at the joint so capillary action "sucks" it into the seam. With superglues, you usually put it on both sides of the seam and then butt the parts together. Epoxy is used similarly.

Depending on how quickly the acetone melts the ABS, you could brush it on, but I prefer wicking it in so I don't have a seam that's too wide.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:51 am

You might find this useful: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35834

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:00 am

JuliaDee wrote:You might find this useful: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35834
Great find, I was trying to combine these two threads together:
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23497

I'm having issues with my shell where the seam will not become flat when I print with the shell facing upwards. If I combine my shell into one file and cut it with openscad, will this fix my non-flat seam issue?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Carnivore wrote:If I combine my shell into one file and cut it with openscad, will this fix my non-flat seam issue?
My experience is you never know how something will print until you try it :)

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Has anyone used this software before? And if so do you get good prints that fit well or do you need to sand?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Carnivore wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:You might find this useful: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35834

I'm having issues with my shell where the seam will not become flat when I print with the shell facing upwards. If I combine my shell into one file and cut it with openscad, will this fix my non-flat seam issue?
It's almost impossible to get a perfectly flat bottom surface when printing with ABS if the surface is larger than a few centimeters.

Even if your plate is perfectly flat and the model adheres everywhere, the shrinkage of the ABS creates interior stresses which will make the bottom surface ever so slightly convex when removed from the platform. The convexity might not be visible, but trying to glue two halves of a sliced object together is likely to leave a very visible gap on the seam of maybe as much as a millimeter.

You may have better luck printing the sliced surface facing upwards, or just plan on sanding the sliced surface flat post-printing.

Carnivore

Re: Re: Glue two abs shells together

Post by Carnivore » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:24 pm

pleppik wrote:
Carnivore wrote:

It's almost impossible to get a perfectly flat bottom surface when printing with ABS if the surface is larger than a few centimeters.

Even if your plate is perfectly flat and the model adheres everywhere, the shrinkage of the ABS creates interior stresses which will make the bottom surface ever so slightly convex when removed from the platform. The convexity might not be visible, but trying to glue two halves of a sliced object together is likely to leave a very visible gap on the seam of maybe as much as a millimeter.

You may have better luck printing the sliced surface facing upwards, or just plan on sanding the sliced surface flat post-printing.
Thanks for clarification, that's what I was thinking too. Would printing it using another type of plastic fix it?

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Carnivore wrote:Would printing it using another type of plastic fix it?
PLA warps a lot less than ABS, so if you print in PLA you can probably get very close to flat bottom surfaces. PLA isn't the Up's strong suit, though. Some people have more luck than others, and most of the people who get good results have also modded their printers.

Carnivore

Re: Re: Re: Glue two abs shells together

Post by Carnivore » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 pm

pleppik wrote:
PLA warps a lot less than ABS, so if you print in PLA you can probably get very close to flat bottom surfaces. PLA isn't the Up's strong suit, though. Some people have more luck than others, and most of the people who get good results have also modded their printers.
I was really hoping to only use abs. Is there a way to change the design to make it smooth on the outside and a flat seam? Or is cutting it into smaller pieces the only way to make it work?

roller

Post by roller » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:07 pm

pleppik wrote:
I'm finding Colorfabb works well for the Up. It's seems to have a higher softening point. I do recommend a temp mod though and use it with the ABS settings. This way you get minimal stringing and decent raft/support removal.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 pm

+1 on Colorfabb for critical warpage problems. Bend-Lay is also a good option, if clear is OK. Neither can be glued with acetone or MEK, though, but superglue works great on Bend-Lay. I haven't tried gluing Colorfabb yet.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Would I need to modify the extruder for this pla?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Carnivore wrote:Would I need to modify the extruder for this pla?
All you need for Colorfabb is a temperature-lowering mod to get extrusion temp down to 200-220C.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Is it worth it to do this mod and go with pla? I'm quite happy with the smoothness of my abs prints but I always print large prints.