Printing Nylon-- too hot?

Talk about anything.
chippwalters

Printing Nylon-- too hot?

Post by chippwalters » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:57 am

Hey folks,

Decided to try and print the Taulman 3D 618 Natural Nylon Filament from Octave. I used the Octave 2-position switch on the Octave setting (as they advise). And I got the print pictured below. Very stringy and tons of cleanup. And, the filament keeps 'popping' in the print head making me think it could be too hot. Can someone take a look at this print and tell me if they think I'm printing this part too hot? (Fan is closed). Thanks!

wilsonj

Re: Printing Nylon-- too hot?

Post by wilsonj » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:11 am

Looks and sounds like the filament was printed too hot, as well as maybe some moisture in the nylon. Have you left the nylon out of the bag for a while ? It will absorb moisture in a couple days if left out.

I have found that I can print nylon at 270 if it is really dry, otherwise any moisture and becomes a problem.

Even when completely dry you will see a bit of stringing and have more clean up to do than with ABS.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 am

I shoot the Taulman nylon from Octave on my "Up Plus Pro" using ABS setting with a "Art Taylor" temp controller:
http://www2.artaylor.co.uk/pp3dp.html
It is set to "215c" displayed, which is about 197.4c estimated, I have active air injection cooling at the feeder gear to prevent strip-out/non feed and the build plate is glass coated with "non-toxic, washable, purple, Elmer's glue stick.
The build plate is heating to 100c.
I don't get the popping or jetting of water and very little stringing at this temp and the parts stick to the build plate even at 140 x 140, edge to edge, support removal is almost as easy as ABS too.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

chippwalters

Post by chippwalters » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:24 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:I shoot the Taulman nylon from Octave on my "Up Plus Pro" using ABS setting with a "Art Taylor" temp controller:
http://www2.artaylor.co.uk/pp3dp.html
It is set to "215c" displayed, which is about 197.4c estimated, I have active air injection cooling at the feeder gear to prevent strip-out/non feed and the build plate is glass coated with "non-toxic, washable, purple, Elmer's glue stick.
The build plate is heating to 100c.
I don't get the popping or jetting of water and very little stringing at this temp and the parts stick to the build plate even at 140 x 140, edge to edge, support removal is almost as easy as ABS too.

Regards
Drew
Thanks Drew. Currently don't seem to be having problems with strip-out but I'm sure I'm printing quite a bit hotter than you are. I think I'll spring for one of the new Octave dip-switch multi-temp controllers-- not as sexy as Arts, but a heck of lot cheaper. I'm thinking (hoping) the nylon is heating too high, too quickly, and thus the popping. I *JUST* opened the nylon filament, so I can't imagine it's had a chance to absorb any moisture yet.

The garolite board seemed to work well, but I have been having success lately using the purple elmers on glass for ABS. Didn't know it could work with nylon too. Thanks for the tip!

chippwalters

Post by chippwalters » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:12 am

wilsonj wrote:Looks and sounds like the filament was printed too hot, as well as maybe some moisture in the nylon. Have you left the nylon out of the bag for a while ? It will absorb moisture in a couple days if left out.

I have found that I can print nylon at 270 if it is really dry, otherwise any moisture and becomes a problem.

Even when completely dry you will see a bit of stringing and have more clean up to do than with ABS.
Nope, like I said, I *JUST* opened it. I'll purchase the new Octave temp controller and report back.