3D Printed Mold

Talk about anything.
Numonic

3D Printed Mold

Post by Numonic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Has anyone had any success making a 3d printed mold? Would be interested to see anyones take on it and tips and experience on this. My issue would be the lines you would have to Acetone vapor treat it in order to get a nice smooth surface for copying a part.

twocycler

Re: 3D Printed Mold

Post by twocycler » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:44 pm

I use 3D printed molds for casting silicone. I print in .15-.2MM in fine detail. The parts have tiny ridges, but it doesn't really detract from our application.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Can you show some images? You don't have to reveal your work just a close up section of a area with the ridges already made for silicone.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:38 pm

I have designed a mold out of one of my designs already on thingiverse. I found out that it my mold is to small to be usefull but the whole design was for me to gain experience with mold design in Solidwoks. I have printed it already and it came out good and with some minor cleaning it would fit. It was designed to be filled with soap. As I say, it is to small and one would have to upscale it. Yes, you could use the Acetone treatment, or use sprayputty and a paint finish. The next thing for me to try is my rocktumbler and see if it will sand the mold inside surface smooth. Any treatment of the inside of the mold would result in alteration of coresize, something to think of when designing core/part/product that needs to be to size.

When it is a mold only used for soap the core could be water brushed or something like that. Also after the first use the surface of the soapcore would turn smooth by itself :)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:154308
Always breath out on the way UP

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Really informative! thanks especially with the core size changes. Will most likely pursue the epoxy mold route instead of cnc aluminum as I would have to learn the machine and if it's even at all possible to make a mold small in scale and with intricate details.