amd-tec

Octave's new temperature switches

Post by amd-tec » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 pm

"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

LonV

Re: Octave's new temperature switches

Post by LonV » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 pm

I've already built a 8 position rotary version, but this would save me from having to design a case for it. :P

cordawg92

Post by cordawg92 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:37 pm

Wow. I'm so happy that they are releasing this. Do you guys think it's worth it to get the 64 position switch? or would it be recommended to stick with the standard 8 position one?

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:32 am

Wow, a copy of my switch from months ago. I wonder if they will copy my pushwheel or one of the rotary variants - some of those were very nice looking. Bets anyone?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:18 pm

I greatly prefer my rotary switch - which I told Octave they are welcome to copy :) This stuff isn't really rocket science.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:14 am

JuliaDee wrote:I greatly prefer my rotary switch - which I told Octave they are welcome to copy :) This stuff isn't really rocket science.
Yet despite it being easy Octave has messed up the design twice: first with a switch that would momentarily open and now with the least elegant design I can think of ... and I made one so I know how tragically inelegant it is. It is a great test switch though for working out what temp moves upset the Up firmware. I get the impression the just copy what they see and their lead time is long. Maybe I should start selling some pushwheel ones.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:04 am

roller wrote:
JuliaDee wrote:I greatly prefer my rotary switch - which I told Octave they are welcome to copy :) This stuff isn't really rocket science.
Yet despite it being easy Octave has messed up the design twice: first with a switch that would momentarily open and now with the least elegant design I can think of ... and I made one so I know how tragically inelegant it is. It is a great test switch though for working out what temp moves upset the Up firmware. I get the impression the just copy what they see and their lead time is long. Maybe I should start selling some pushwheel ones.
Well, they're trying. A small company, and not really an engineering firm - more a reseller, but good folks. Their two-position temp switch brought temperature control to a heck of a lot of Up users that otherwise would not have had it. They sell spare parts at reasonable prices (2 nozzles for $36). Nice to have choices and multiple sources. It can't be easy trying to make a living from 3D printing, the volumes are really quite low. I read recently that there is a grand total of only about 23,000 MakerBots in the world, and they're supposed to be "the Apple of 3D printing".

julia

LonV

Post by LonV » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:46 am

I like that they're putting out solutions in the US market. I agree, for 8 positions they should have done rotary...leave the more complex one as dip (or go more expensive and go digital).

roller

Post by roller » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:52 am

Well, they're trying. A small company, and not really an engineering firm - more a reseller, but good folks. Their two-position temp switch brought temperature control to a heck of a lot of Up users that otherwise would not have had it. They sell spare parts at reasonable prices (2 nozzles for $36). Nice to have choices and multiple sources. It can't be easy trying to make a living from 3D printing, the volumes are really quite low. I read recently that there is a grand total of only about 23,000 MakerBots in the world, and they're supposed to be "the Apple of 3D printing".
True true. Though I really hate that, "Apple of 3D printing" for Makerbot, more like the, "Pystar of 3D printing".

I don't think it's that Octave is really that revolutionary either - just that for some reason they are in a unique position of being able to sell these mods. They are certainly not the first yet other suppliers have suspiciously discontinued the mods they sell.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd be curious to find out if anyone uses one of these switches with PLA, if there would be any benefit. I've always printed ABS on the Up! And PLA on my makerbot. I think I'm becoming more of a fan of pla everyday, but less of a fan of makerbot. I just haven't taken the leap to pla on my Up!s yet because I've read it needs mods for pla to work well. (im more of a "buy a prebuilt mod" kind of guy than the type to figure it out on my own) I have the original temp switch from octave and loved it.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:07 pm

These temp switches all lower the extrusion temp via a series resistance. So if you want to extrude at a lower temp than the Up's pre-programmed setting they'd work. If you want to raise the temp they will not work; that would require a parallel resistance.

I got totally discouraged trying to print PLA on my Up a year ago, but I haven't tried in a long time with the new software or the newer extruder on my Afinia. I really love the transparent "candy apple" colors and metallics that people get with PLA. One of the reasons I've ordered additional printers is to have something to (hopefully) print PLA with.

Colorfabb soft PLA does work fine on the Up using a temp-lowering switch and the ABS setting.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm

With the mods I created for the extruder feeder on my "UP Plus Pro" and using the "UP! PP3DP Temperature Mod" from Art Taylor I have been successfully printing PLA from 5 different suppliers and a wide range of colors.

http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 126c#p5473

http://www2.artaylor.co.uk/pp3dp.html

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:46 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:With the mods I created for the extruder feeder on my "UP Plus Pro" and using the "UP! PP3DP Temperature Mod" from Art Taylor I have been successfully printing PLA from 5 different suppliers and a wide range of colors.

http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 126c#p5473

http://www2.artaylor.co.uk/pp3dp.html

Regards
Drew
Well, seeing as how I have your mods, purchased from your machinist, I guess I should be able to do it, too :) I must revisit PLA when I get a chance.

Thanks,
julia

incipienta

Post by incipienta » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Since I'm utterly incompetent when it comes to soldering (and, indeed, assembling electronics in general) I'm looking at getting one of the Octave multi-temp mods.

...err, any reason why I shouldn't just go for the extra $10 version with 127 temp settings? Thus far I haven't really mucked about with 3rd party filament, so I honestly don't know -- would just 8 temps really suffice for most uses?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 pm

incipienta wrote:Since I'm utterly incompetent when it comes to soldering (and, indeed, assembling electronics in general) I'm looking at getting one of the Octave multi-temp mods.

...err, any reason why I shouldn't just go for the extra $10 version with 127 temp settings? Thus far I haven't really mucked about with 3rd party filament, so I honestly don't know -- would just 8 temps really suffice for most uses?
Absolutely no reason not to go with it. DIP switches are not quite as convenient as a rotary dial, and no, you don't really need 127 temps, but it will work fine and you don't need to use them all.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 am

teamcarlisle wrote:I'd be curious to find out if anyone uses one of these switches with PLA, if there would be any benefit. I've always printed ABS on the Up! And PLA on my makerbot. I think I'm becoming more of a fan of pla everyday, but less of a fan of makerbot. I just haven't taken the leap to pla on my Up!s yet because I've read it needs mods for pla to work well. (im more of a "buy a prebuilt mod" kind of guy than the type to figure it out on my own) I have the original temp switch from octave and loved it.
I am printing PLA using the ABS setting and a temp mod. I find the results are superior to using the PLA settings. I think it must be the retract settings work better than on the PLA setting.
There are a few exotic filaments where fine tuning temps can be helpful but at best only 5C increments are useful and 10degrees C will really suit you fine unless you want to sit down to do many tens of hours of intricate observations to get the "ideal" settings. To be honest, I've done it with repraps and it's not worth the effort. The reality is also that the temp read by the sensor (that we are fooling) is only representative of the real temperature and there is actually a fluctuating few degrees difference between the temp at the sensor and the temp in the heating chamber. As such, getting much more accurate than 10C is pointless and certainly more than 5C is completely so.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:57 pm

roller wrote: I am printing PLA using the ABS setting and a temp mod. I find the results are superior to using the PLA settings. I think it must be the retract settings work better than on the PLA setting.
Good to know, thanks, Roller!

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:23 am

I am pretty sure someone else put that idea in my head so I can't take credit for it but I have certainly found it to be true so far. I need to finished my chilled air blower to test it across all my PLA though.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:27 am

I would recommend if at all possible that you make these temp mods a remote mounting (not directly on extruder), the reason if you think about it is you can more easily make changes on the fly as material is being laid down, I love mine for this reason alone, I only need to observe a 10 to 15 second rule of adjustment changes, this keeps the sensor from seeing too fast of a drop and I can directly observe the results without pausing or "bumping" the extruder.
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:42 am

That's another advantage of a rotary switch vs a DIP switch. The rotary switch I used has a low turning torque so it's quite easy to make on-the-fly changes even when the machine is printing with the switch mounted on the extruder head; I can't see doing that easily with a DIP switch.