Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Talk about anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:13 pm

A lot of people talk about their dual extruder setups being able to do PVA dissolvable support but there aren't a whole lot of videos around of it actually being done AFAIK.

Here's the Zim printing a ball in a cage:

http://vimeo.com/75748504

I don't know why they've printed a big solid box around it and have asked. It's also not clear how much time it takes to dissolve all that support (looks like they used more than was really needed for the ball) and I've asked them that as well.

julia

cordawg92
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by cordawg92 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm assuming that the walls around the model were printed to prevent drafts.

amd-tec
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by amd-tec » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 pm

First good video I have seen.
The box for cleaning the PVA nozzle?
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:37 pm

amd-tec wrote:First good video I have seen.
The box for cleaning the PVA nozzle?
Your guess is correct - the skirt is for wiping the PVA nozzle. They're working on a software solution that won't require a skirt.

It took 5 hours in warm water to dissolve the support in this demo part.

LonV
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by LonV » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:54 am

The print quality of the cube itself doesn't look very good.

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:58 am

LonV wrote:The print quality of the cube itself doesn't look very good.
True, hard to say why or what settings they used for this print. The excellent basic print quality of the printer has been established:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141 ... afdf498885

Lann
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:21 am

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by Lann » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 am

Nice. Makerbot is also promoting its dissolvable filament.

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2013/09/30 ... s-melting/

Price at $65, it 'dissolves in limonene, a common, colorless, citrus-scented solvent available online and in grocery and home stores. Just immerse your print in a limonene bath and, depending on the size and geometry of your object, MakerBot Dissolvable Filament will melt away in just 8-24 hours.'

Now, hoping for a larger up plus with dual extruder and PVA filament from pp3dp.....

LonV
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by LonV » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 am

JuliaDee wrote:
LonV wrote:The print quality of the cube itself doesn't look very good.
True, hard to say why or what settings they used for this print. The excellent basic print quality of the printer has been established:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141 ... afdf498885
Yeah, it makes me wonder if switching the head is causing a problem. But they're priming the crap out of it with that outer wall, so I'm not sure why that would be a problem.

amd-tec
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by amd-tec » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:50 am

JuliaDee wrote:
LonV wrote:The print quality of the cube itself doesn't look very good.
True, hard to say why or what settings they used for this print. The excellent basic print quality of the printer has been established:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/141 ... afdf498885
I`ll bet it`s printed with draft settings..., I might be wrong, but anyway.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

amd-tec
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by amd-tec » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:52 am

Lann wrote:Nice. Makerbot is also promoting its dissolvable filament.

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2013/09/30 ... s-melting/

Price at $65, it 'dissolves in limonene, a common, colorless, citrus-scented solvent available online and in grocery and home stores. Just immerse your print in a limonene bath and, depending on the size and geometry of your object, MakerBot Dissolvable Filament will melt away in just 8-24 hours.'

Now, hoping for a larger up plus with dual extruder and PVA filament from pp3dp.....
And again, where is the video?
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

User avatar
wackojacko
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:46 am
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by wackojacko » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:17 pm

This dissolvable filament is just HIPS, and using limolene to dissolve it, is not very pleasant at all. Your hands and house will smell like oranges for days. I rather use PLA as the support material with a heated ultrasonic tank and caustic soda. Both have safety concerns.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

amd-tec
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by amd-tec » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm

wackojacko wrote:This dissolvable filament is just HIPS, and using limolene to dissolve it, is not very pleasant at all. Your hands and house will smell like oranges for days. I rather use PLA as the support material with a heated ultrasonic tank and caustic soda. Both have safety concerns.
PVA with PLA and HIPS with ABS, right?
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:53 pm

amd-tec wrote:
wackojacko wrote:PVA with PLA and HIPS with ABS, right?
Why couldn't PVA be used with ABS? It dissolves in plain old water and is the most "friendly" soluble support I know of, although maybe it has some drawbacks I'm not aware of (it's extremely hygroscopic, naturally, of course).

As bruce mentioned, HIPS needs limonene and PLA needs lye (caustic) & ultrasonic.

amd-tec
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 am
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by amd-tec » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm

JuliaDee wrote:
amd-tec wrote:
wackojacko wrote:PVA with PLA and HIPS with ABS, right?
Why couldn't PVA be used with ABS? It dissolves in plain old water and is the most "friendly" soluble support I know of, although maybe it has some drawbacks I'm not aware of (it's extremely hygroscopic, naturally, of course).

As bruce mentioned, HIPS needs limonene and PLA needs lye (caustic) & ultrasonic.
Sure if it works?
Would really like to see some studies from different soluble support materials, problem seems to be there are not many.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

User avatar
JuliaDee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:20 pm


User avatar
wilsonj
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Video of PVA Dissolvable Support

Post by wilsonj » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 pm

I find ABS doesn't like to stick to PVA very well. That was the biggest issue I had. At this point PLA and ABS are a better option. IMO
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Post Reply