Know when a larger version of UP Plus 2 will be available?

Talk about anything.
hajime

Know when a larger version of UP Plus 2 will be available?

Post by hajime » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 am

The build are is ok for my current use but not for future use. Heard anything about when a larger version of the printer be available?

LonV

Re: Know when a larger version of UP Plus 2 will be availabl

Post by LonV » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 am

I would LOVE an Up! with a bigger build platform.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:19 am

Nothing but silence on the issue and anyone who might know probably can't tell us. People have been asking for a while, I think it's clear the demand is there and there hasn't been a bigger one ... just a Mini one.

woofy

Post by woofy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:25 am

Just to add my voice to this, I would jump at the chance of a larger UP.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:40 pm

I'm highly suspicious its a licensing issue - the parent company, Tiertime, doesn't want a cheaper printer cannibalising their sales.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:34 pm

They can have Tiertime's sales bitten into by their own printer, or by someone else's printer. I think they're smart enough to know this and are working on a bigger Up. The low-end Tiertime models are doomed in any case: the Inspire 200 has a build volume slightly under 6x8x8, dual extruders, 150 micron min layer thickness, and of course, Delta Micro's software. OK, nice, but $10,000 worth of nice for a hobbyist/consumer? If it has features/durability that make it well-suited for industry, then great, industry might buy it, but in that case it's not threatened by a consumer-grade machine anyway. Ultimaker 2 will be unveiled tomorrow, and many, many other printers with this build volume or better are appearing in the $1,800 - $2,800 range.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes but they are well aware no printer under $5000 produces is capable of removable support. Unfortunately while they have this slim advantage I think they will stay steadfast. I desperately hope that I'm wrong but I really don't get the impression the are aggressive movers in the market. Even the original Up started with very little commitment (risk averse strategy) from the company.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 pm

If we want a larger UP we are going to need a heated chamber, otherwise expect to see warping on an unacceptable level. Larger might be fine with PLA, but we would expect an UP machine to be designed around their ABS+ material. The problem that then creates is that our wonderful support and raft removal that we love so much will become fused to the model. So now we need dual extruders...

I can't see it happening, at least not at the price point we want. Obviously this machine already exists anyway, so really what we want is a professional machine at a hobby price.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:43 pm

wilsonj wrote:If we want a larger UP we are going to need a heated chamber, otherwise expect to see warping on an unacceptable level. Larger might be fine with PLA, but we would expect an UP machine to be designed around their ABS+ material. The problem that then creates is that our wonderful support and raft removal that we love so much will become fused to the model. So now we need dual extruders...

I can't see it happening, at least not at the price point we want. Obviously this machine already exists anyway, so really what we want is a professional machine at a hobby price.
If it needs to be enclosed, so be it. An enclosure doesn't suddenly change a (made-in-China) machine from $2,200 to $10,000. Oddly enough, qu-bd states that their 9x9x9" Revolution XL produces better prints when not enclosed, and they specifically recommend against enclosing it.

Qu-bd, Leapfrog, Zortrax, Ultimaker, Cubex, and others... all hitting the price point, features, and build volume I'm looking for. Maybe not quite the performance, software, or customer support I'm looking for, but that's where pp3dp excels and would get my money if they had an offering in the category. I don't see how that's asking for "a professional machine at a hobby price".

roller

Post by roller » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:35 am

If we want a larger UP we are going to need a heated chamber, otherwise expect to see warping on an unacceptable level. Larger might be fine with PLA, but we would expect an UP machine to be designed around their ABS+ material. The problem that then creates is that our wonderful support and raft removal that we love so much will become fused to the model. So now we need dual extruders...
Not really. Only one of my repraps was made with a sealed chamber allowing surrounding air to get to 50C+. Print quality was raterly improved and print area is 200x200x200mm. Warping ABS is a problem no matter what - the stresses come to play at some point so the model might print a little more reliably with the chamber but would crack as it cooled after.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:49 am

Support removal from a Zortrax-printed part. You'd almost think it was printed on an Up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeSHJC-K4JM#t=106

roller

Post by roller » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 am

JuliaDee wrote:Support removal from a Zortrax-printed part. You'd almost think it was printed on an Up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeSHJC-K4JM#t=106
Oh, I missed that one. Very interesting in that they use perfboard bed, very similar extruder head, 4 familiar options for infill. I wonder if they reverse engineered the solution from a commercial printer/Up software or if they licensed it. They may have managed to work it out themselves but since it still eludes so many great minds in the reprap community it seems that it isn't the easiest thing to get right.

I'm going to watch for reviews on those because that might be my next printer right there.

LonV

Post by LonV » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:11 am

It's crazy no one in the reprap space has figured this out...most don't event care. When they do decide to figure it out its gonna get crazy. :D

I never print stuff on my reprap that requires a lot of underside, flat support...if I can get it to detach at all, the part just never looks as clean as on my Afinia.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Saw the Inspire s200 machine looks great though no re-seller for the states available. Does anyone know how much this one goes for? I love my Up Mini but this one looks like it'll do the job :D

woofy

Post by woofy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 pm

About $10000 as Julia noted a few posts up.
Here in the UK its available from Denford for around £7100 plus delivery and VAT.

Ultimaker 2 is on show at the TCT show at the NEC next week.

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Woofy thanks I figured it was that much shame would've have probably purchased it if it was around 2-3 Thousand.

roller

Post by roller » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:12 am

Numonic wrote:Woofy thanks I figured it was that much shame would've have probably purchased it if it was around 2-3 Thousand.
I think you'd have to get in line with almost all of us here :D

Numonic

Post by Numonic » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Lol nice machine wish it was cheaper love the gray brittle abs raft. Still love my up though having a blast having my dreams come to pass. :D

woofy

Post by woofy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:13 pm

woofy wrote:Ultimaker 2 is on show at the TCT show at the NEC next week.
Well I went to the show and saw lots of printers including the Ultimaker 2. Now after a week of weighty deliberations I have committed treason and ordered one.
With a 255x255x205 volume it should keep me going for a while.

The UP will stay though.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:22 pm

woofy wrote:
woofy wrote:Ultimaker 2 is on show at the TCT show at the NEC next week.
Well I went to the show and saw lots of printers including the Ultimaker 2. Now after a week of weighty deliberations I have committed treason and ordered one.
Congrats! Not treason at all, since pp3dp do not have a comparable offering.