ColorFabb "Soft-Touch" PLA

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

ColorFabb "Soft-Touch" PLA

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:56 am

I tried this stuff today - it's PLA with PHA added to make it less brittle. I tried it with the temp lowered to 210C (per their recommendation) and the Up set for ABS. It may be better not to have the platform heated, but to get the Up to 210 on the PLA setting would require a parallel resistor mod, which I don't have in place.

It basically worked perfectly and as advertised. No feed or adhesion issues, and it does indeed have a lot of flex - more than ABS, and of course way more than pure PLA. Layers a little bit sloppy here and there, maybe needs a slightly lower temp. I tried pausing and switching to ABS, but adhesion was not good :( Support removal was similar to ABS, and even easier in some places due to the flexibility - you can twist it out of tight spots.

Since the colors are opaque like ABS, the main reason to use this stuff I think would be for the flex. Nice if you need a part that has to spread slightly when being engaged, where ABS might crack or separate.

In the last photo I'm squeezing the part; the walls of the channel are normally parallel.
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (55.35 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (93.26 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
photo 2[1].JPG
photo 2[1].JPG (40.15 KiB) Viewed 4281 times

roller

Re: ColorFabb "Soft-Touch" PLA

Post by roller » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:38 am

The ABS setting actually seems to work better for this stuff - presumably the retract settings are different but PLA settings produced stringing in a few examples. It seems to have a high softening point so bed temp at ABS doesn't seem to produce any issues either.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:43 pm

The misalignment of some layers is probably due to the material having a longer molten state time; it might do better on normal or fine mode; this part was printed in fast mode.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Nice work Julia. Glad your findings mirror mine.

This will sound like sales talk, but the other thing I like about colorfabb material is the colour! They have some really interesting ones, and all are easy on the eye IMO. I've seen some rather ho-hum colours out of China...

The material makes awesome phone cases too, as it allows a little bit of flex to get the phone in and out without splitting.
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 pm

A phone case was the next thing I printed after the test in the photos :)

And yes, I love the muted pastels, especially this lavender. Had enough of "hot" this and "neon" that for the moment.