Prototype Supply / ToyBuilder Labs ABS Filament

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

Prototype Supply / ToyBuilder Labs ABS Filament

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:54 am

I bought a couple of spools of this from Amazon and have been running it for a few days now. They make big claims for it: "for demanding FDM applications", "3D Printer operators looking for high-quality printed objects with better dimensional control", "made especially for the needs of professional-quality 3D printing".

So far I'm inclined to agree with them. Overall I'd say it's about 95% as good as pp3dp OEM filament, but less costly at $39/kg and available in a much wider range of colors. I've been printing some large-ish parts that require good dimensional stability, and my usual brand of 3rd party filament just isn't up to scratch - the parts don't mate. The parts made with Prototype Supply filament fit just as well as those made with the OEM material, and I printed them in black, which in my experience is the most demanding color. Vertical columns are absolutely straight and even. It's glossy rather than the matte finish of the OEM material so doesn't look quite as nice, but it doesn't look bad at all. Support removal is perhaps a touch more difficult but not terribly so, and I think that may be indicative of excellent layer bonding. The spool says "210 - 230C" and I'm getting good results at 220 on my switch - better than my first prints at 230.

I also like that their yellow is a nice, rich, buttery color, like the one my "usual" vendor offered a year ago, but which has since gotten paler and is now greenish fluorescent. I've got lavender, "cool gray", and a nice forest green on the way :)

http://toybuilderlabs.com/

I am not affiliated with any vendor of 3D materials or printers.

LonV

Re: Prototype Supply / ToyBuilder Labs ABS Filament

Post by LonV » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:20 am

I bought some of this awhile ago and just got around to printing with it. I got Yellow too, although until I looked at the label I would have sworn it was orange. Buttery is a good description.

At 220 the raft/support peels away like OEM.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Nice info ... thanks to both of you.

Christina

Post by Christina » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Nice! I'm always on the lookout for other suppliers that have reliable quality.

LonV

Post by LonV » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Christina, here's your dog in that yellow. The pic doesn't do it justice, because he's really pretty smooth.
Attachments
2013-12-19 00.57.07.jpg
2013-12-19 00.57.07.jpg (209 KiB) Viewed 5624 times

Christina

Post by Christina » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Wow Lon! He is a pretty buttery color :) I printed him in Inventables Orange. I absolutely love that filament. Too bad it's expensive (shipping).