A few more questions...

Talk about anything.
roller

Re: A few more questions...

Post by roller » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:13 am

I think there should be a way to do it with a new subnets and changing routing tables as that doesn't require admin rights. I'll have to see how the USB/IP driver responds to this though... might do something nasty like cause break the driver.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:12 am

doraemon wrote:Physically plugging/unplugging USB cables is clunky, but it's all I have at the moment. :(
This works fine, is only $30, and is a lot better than plugging/unplugging cables:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KZL7U2/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

But it doesn't let me do it remotely.
doraemon wrote:What we need is the 3D printer equivalent of a print server: users send "prints" to the server and the printer(s) do the rest.
A print server would still have to get around the fundamental problem of the Up software not tolerating multiple printers being present.

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 am

I've seen something similar to that at the local Fry's, but didn't buy one because I was going down the path of completely separate PCs for each printer. Now that we have 3 and I've only been able to scavenge one working PC (and 2 that need repair ... when I have some spare time :x ), I'll have to reconsider.

Have you had any issues when using multiple logins? We've found that we have to make sure to physically disconnect the cable and exit the UP! software when switching between users in Windows 7. Swapping cables after swapping logins doesn't work; the first one has to be disconnected prior to changing logins, then you can connect the second printer.

Really, this would be so much nicer if PP3DP would do this via software. I'm going to assume it's not high on the priority list because the expected use model is one printer on one PC; it's a "personal" 3D printer, right?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 am

doraemon wrote:Have you had any issues when using multiple logins? We've found that we have to make sure to physically disconnect the cable and exit the UP! software when switching between users in Windows 7. Swapping cables after swapping logins doesn't work; the first one has to be disconnected prior to changing logins, then you can connect the second printer.

Really, this would be so much nicer if PP3DP would do this via software. I'm going to assume it's not high on the priority list because the expected use model is one printer on one PC; it's a "personal" 3D printer, right?
I never log in or out, since I'm the admin and only user. I just freely switch back and forth between my two printers "on the fly" (except when I'm uploading G-code, of course). Never a problem as long as only one is connected at a time. The Up software is aware of connections and disconnections, so if you've got the maintenance window open, for example, it will automatically update to whichever printer has just been connected.

Yes, I'd imagine multiple printer support is even lower down pp3dp's to-do list than temperature control. "Power Users" are always seen as a low priority in companies who have their eye on "the mass market" :( On the other hand, since they're participating in the Windows 8 "native 3D printing" thing, there may be some impetus there...

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:33 am

Yeah, if I were the only user, it'd be much simpler to deal with. Drew and I are the most frequent users, but I'd say there are half a dozen folks who use it maybe once every couple weeks and the rest even less frequently than that. I'm trying to balance ease of use with keeping things up and running smoothly. Long term, I'd like to get a webcam set up for the printer(s), as management would like a live stream on our intranet showing what's printing, but that probably would require a IP camera to do properly since we have multiple logins happening concurrently.

Well, guess we'll have to figure out various workarounds ourselves. ;)

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:38 am

Oh, yeah, I couldn't live without my IP cams! I start print jobs before leaving and then keep an eye on them from home. There's always remote access and my IP-controlled power switch in case of disaster :)