What version of UP software do I use?

Talk about anything.
chippwalters

What version of UP software do I use?

Post by chippwalters » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 am

I'm on a Mac and want to be able to print supportless. What's the best version of the UP software to use? I'm also using an Afinia printer. Thanks! :)

roller

Re: What version of UP software do I use?

Post by roller » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 am

Unfortunately, you need to use a Windows version. The Mac version lags about 2-3 versions behind in terms of features so we don't have this yet. I've also found the builds since 1.18 to be less happy to run on Mac hardware under a VM - it has a much higher tendency to get stuck on sending layer 1 to the printer. There is some issue that all the latest version present in this regard including the Mac version. They certainly are more temperamental when running on Mac hardware.

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:11 am

Hmm, I run in VMWare (off of a Bootcamp partition) version 2.0 and don't have any issues.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 am

It's not universal but there are quite a few Mac users reporting issues with latest editions including 1.5.2. I think it might partially be a hardware design issue because for me it happened a lot less once I took the UPS off my printer ... but it does still happen occasionally. I get it with two Macbooks both running Lion. One runs Parallels (better for my CAD) and the other VMWare (better for my work as Enterprise VMWare is part of my consulting work). I still haven't managed to get to the bottom of exactly what it is and I'm just happier it happens less often now except for version 1.19 where it still happens a lot.