618 Nylon Warping

Talk about anything.
Bindw

618 Nylon Warping

Post by Bindw » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am

I'm having trouble with my nylon prints warping off the printed. I have the table heated 100% before I start the print and I have my printer neatly enclosed in a 3DPrintergear enclosure. I have the fan vent half open. As a new UpPlus user I have managed to get warpless prints in ABS. Anyone got a suggestion for getting my nylon to lay down flat, please?
Bin
http://www.bindixon-ward.com

JuliaDee

Re: 618 Nylon Warping

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:54 am

I often have a problem with the first nylon print of the day adhering to Garolite. After one or two fails, they stick really well (and don't warp). My hypothesis is that there's some residual film of nylon left there after the first print that helps subsequent ones stick better. That said, I've never printed any nylon parts with large flat bottom surfaces, most of mine are cylindrical with bases no more than 30-40mm in diameter.

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:49 am

Hi bin,

Adhesion definitely improves with more printing, as Julia said. The other thing to try is move the nozzle really close to the bed, almost touching. I've had success printing like this, although printing large flat pieces is darn near impossible unfortunately. On the few occasions I did get large pieces to stick without warping I damaged them during removal!

Regards
Jamie
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

Bindw

Post by Bindw » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:27 am

Thanks for your advice JuliaDee and wilsonj. This 3D printing caper seems have compressed time! I have been trying all day to get my nylon to stick, trying different models, callibrating and recalibrating the platform hight, different settings raft/no raft, slow/fast speed etc, and even using tape to stick the raft down! Ive filled my rubbish bin with 1/4 roll of extruded nylon! No Luck. Now I have just ditched the Phenolic/Garolite sheet and gone back to the trusty perf board and my standard ABS settings. Now at least the raft is staying put, for the moment.

Bindw

Post by Bindw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:26 am

IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 8420 times
IMG_0063.jpg
Nylon 618 Print
IMG_0063.jpg (9.77 KiB) Viewed 8420 times
So, Now I have managed 2 successful prints with the 618. Perf board works for me. Yay. Here are a couple of picks of the bracelet in nylon 618.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm

I stopped using the "Garolite" plate entirely, I have found the solution to all my Adhesion problems.
I have printed successfully ABS, PLA, Nylon and Polycarbonate parts that are wide (135mm) and thin (6mm) with no lift or warp.
How the heck is he doing this you ask?
I use a "Glass" build plate that is closely trammed (level) to the nozzle, set to a close 0.2mm gap.

Here is the secret, Elmer's Water Soluble, Non-Toxic Glue Stick applied lightly (thin) to build plate (hot or cold).

This has been extremely successful at home and at work were we have 3 up plus machines operated by over 40 engineers.
I cannot stress strongly enough how great this has been.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:07 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:...we have 3 up plus machines operated by over 40 engineers.
There must be a heck of a queue waiting for printer time! Take a number!

I am definitely going to pick up a glue stick or two for the rare occasion when I need nylon and/or raftless, thanks :)

roller

Post by roller » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:05 am

Elmer's Water Soluble, Non-Toxic Glue Stick
For once a US product of use that I've seen locally ... I'm off to buy some. Thanks!

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 am

JuliaDee wrote:
DrewPetitclerc wrote:...we have 3 up plus machines operated by over 40 engineers.
There must be a heck of a queue waiting for printer time! Take a number!

I am definitely going to pick up a glue stick or two for the rare occasion when I need nylon and/or raftless, thanks :)
Tip: Most office supply stores are having sales on back-to-school supplies. Office Depot was selling Scholastic brand sticks for $1.49 for a 4-pk. For work, I opted to buy the 30-pk so it will last a while.

It helps to wash off the glue after each build, but it's not absolutely required.