3D Printer Enclosure from Octave

Talk about anything.
jmorro

3D Printer Enclosure from Octave

Post by jmorro » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:49 pm

I see Octave has a new 3D printer enclosure for the UP! Plus and the Afinia printers. I have both printers and was thinking of purchasing the enclosure, but was hoping for some feedback from someone who may be using one.

mb20music

Re: 3D Printer Enclosure from Octave

Post by mb20music » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Looks very nice, and I like that it has lighting, and fan with charcoal filter.
The price seems reasonable to me.

http://www.octave.com/p1173433209/Octav ... _info.html

wilsonj

Post by wilsonj » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 pm

I don't see any active cooling for the electronics down the bottom though, so they will heat up with everything else.

I've see this enclosure somewhere before, but can't place it. Was it one of the Chinese "knock offs" ??
Regards
Jamie
3DPrinterGear.com.au

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:08 pm

wilsonj wrote:I don't see any active cooling for the electronics down the bottom though, so they will heat up with everything else.

I've see this enclosure somewhere before, but can't place it. Was it one of the Chinese "knock offs" ??
It does have a few kind of large openings near the bottom on the back (for the power cord and usb cable) so that should help with
circulation for the electronics...

http://www.octave.com/images/products/3D-OS-ENC-2.jpg

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:24 am

I'm pretty sure the final product is going to have ventilation slots on the sides, matching up with those of the printer. Personally I like being able to get at my printers from all sides and prefer an "open" setup, but I don't print much tall stuff and haven't found myself needing an enclosure. A lot of people will perceive this as being a more "finished" product though, probably.
Last edited by JuliaDee on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:45 am

At work, we rigged up some homebrew enclosures. The corners were printed and the walls are clear acrylic, with acrylic doors in front for easy access. A cutdown furnace filter and activated charcoal from the pet store serve as the fume filter. A fan draws air through the filter. The gaps between the corners and walls serve as vents. Works pretty well.

The only reason we bothered enclosing the printers is a combination of odor control and keeping curious fingers away from the hot/moving parts on the printer.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:40 pm

I just got my enclosure from Octave. So far I'm cant say its a good buy. They say it is setup for OEM and Octave reel holders, but does not actually come with one, and there are no screw holes on the side to re-use the spool holder that you already had attached to your Affinia/Up. There is no link in the product description on their site to the spool holder that you need to print either, nor was there a pamphlet inside the box (or any instructions for that matter) Also there is no on/off switch for the enclosure, its just plug it in and its always on, to turn it off you have to unplug it from the wall, or the power connector on the back of the enclusore (and hope the cable doesnt fall behind your table when its disconnected) Lastly the feet of my Afinia just barely do not line up with the precut holes in the bottom of the enclosure. I'm guessing that might be a case of loosening the screws on the feet and getting them to seat right then re-tightening them again. But instructions would have been nice. The plastic on the enclosure feels chintzy and the magnet on the door barely holds it closed. I've not had time to actually print with it yet, I have to leave for work in a few minutes. Just wanted to leave my thoughts with you guys. Also it looks like the cable connected to the extruder will be rubbing against the top of the chassis the whole time it prints, which is not good. When I look at their product pics, they have theirs folded down somehow in the pic.

edit, I wanted to mention I'm usually very "pro-octave" I have really liked their filaments, and temp-switch. And their customer service is good also
Last edited by teamcarlisle on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:44 pm

I found their link to their spool holder files: http://www.octave.com/3D-Printer-STL-Fi ... pages.html

would have been nice if it was linked on the product page for the enclosure.

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I have some similar observations, although I'm really liking the results (more on this later). I emailed them the night I assembled it, and around midnight, I got a response with a zip of the new STLs. He apologized and it sounded like they were improving this process. I knew they had STLs for this kind of thing, I just didn't realize they had been completely redesigned to work on either the printer or the enclosure. So while I was annoyed that they didn't include documentation, their customer service is really great.

I like my solution better though. :D I have a modified version of their old "universal mount" that fits in the hole (tightly, but that's how I preferred it). If you want to preserve your old spool holders.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:141916

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm

Octave just emailed me and let me know they had planned to have an inline powerswitch but they were shipped the wrong power supplies (that work, just don't have the switch) and rather than make their customers wait they shipped the enclosure with the current powersupply and plan to send out the correct powersupply when they recieve them :) Makes me feel a lot better, lol

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:33 am

Unfortunately my experience with this enclosure just keeps getting more agitating. I left my review at amazon if anyone cares: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EK4 ... UTF8&psc=1

Dont know if many other people will have the problem of the feet not fitting in the cutouts. Octave swears they had the cutouts measured to fit, but I can claim otherwise. I tried loosening all the feet to see if a small wiggle room would help but it wouldn't, no matter what I did, the holes were too spread out for all 4 feet to fit, one side would always catch on the edge of the cutout.To get my printer to fit into the cutouts in the enclosure, I had to remove the feet, bore out the side of the hole in the feet, then reattach them with the feet offset farther out.

I was surprised at how much I could still smell the plastic while it was printing (which I'm used to at this point) since it has a carbon filter. Then I noticed I could see light through the exhaust where the filter was. I had to laugh at this point at how horribly the enclosure is designed/assembled at this point. Sure they have a carbon filter infront of the exhaust, but its not big enough to cover it, so the fan is pulling air "around" the filter instead of through it.

To me the most unforgivable problem though, is that there is nothing underneath the enclosure beneath the printer to support it. The plastic floor of the enclosure sags just a little and the printer shakes while it prints because of the lack of a stable surface.

If Octave fixes these problems with newer versions then I would reccomend it, otherwise I say buy with caution. Everything I've had problems with is fixable, but is it worth it to you?

To be honest, with these problems I feel like I just bought something from makerbot again, lol ;) (except it didnt cost nearly as much as anything they would make)
DSC_0255.JPG
example of how much I bored out the side of the hole in the Afinia foot, to make it fit the enclosure
DSC_0255.JPG (152.2 KiB) Viewed 17882 times
IMAG0583.jpg
the gaps on the side of the filter make it pointless
IMAG0583.jpg (168.66 KiB) Viewed 17882 times
IMAG0582.jpg
IMAG0582.jpg (149.18 KiB) Viewed 17882 times

Winstonc

Post by Winstonc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:50 pm

I also have one and think that it is excellent and good value for money.

Yes the on of switch would be nice, but it definitely cuts the fumes way down and the quality of the build seem much better.

David

Gold World Order

Post by Gold World Order » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:22 am

I just purchased mine and can't wait for it to arrive. Obvious question, why can't you just put the entire Afinia printer including the plastic roll inside the Enclosure? Visually, it seems to have enough room or am I wrong?

hajime

Post by hajime » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:00 am

I have two questions. 1. Is it compatible with the UP Plus 2? 2. With the enclosure, does it smell during printing? Thanks.

cordawg92

Post by cordawg92 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:11 pm

hajime wrote:I have two questions. 1. Is it compatible with the UP Plus 2? 2. With the enclosure, does it smell during printing? Thanks.
I'm wondering this as well. I just laser cut an enclosure for my printer yesterday, but I don't think it contains the fumes very well. I'll probably make a new post detailing my experiences with it anyhow.

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 am

Hello, could any user please give us user experience on how well the enclosure works with the Up Plus 2? Is this enclosure the best available in the market? Can it solve the issue I have mentioned int he thread: "Best way to print a slide (triangle wedge like object)"?

((a.v.))mk-1

Post by ((a.v.))mk-1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:48 am

Does this product dampen sound? Doing my very first print tonight, So far that seems to be my only concern.