3D printers Advisors

Talk about anything.
sfinktah

Re: 3D printers Advisors

Post by sfinktah » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:54 am

Your interpretive skills are a wonder to behold.

Here's some slightly useful information about changing the temperature during a print... if you change it up too fast (i think it's more than ~15 degrees), it aborts the print job.

BUT, you can lower the temperature as much as you want, without causing any error. I just dropped mine from 263º to 160º while testing some Laewoo Wood.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Yep, I found I could get away with 20C but there is probably some room for variance in our findings that the truth is somewhere around there depending on firmware/hardware versions.
I did find you can get a fail by going down too much too - interesting that you didn't!

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:48 pm

I've definitely had prints abort when dropping temp - "Nozzle Too Hot" error. It may depend on the time during the print at which the switch is changed

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Yeah that's the error I saw too ... couldn't remember it until you mentioned it.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:11 am

When changing the temp while the printer is running I give a count of 15 before bumping up or down, the system seems to checks the temp about every 5 to 10 seconds if you watch the maintenance screen, it seems to stay happy if you don't make too big a jump in a single cycle.
My "Art Taylor" temp mod is remote mounted so I don't have to chase the switch back and forth while printing.
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

roller

Post by roller » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:05 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:When changing the temp while the printer is running I give a count of 15 before bumping up or down, the system seems to checks the temp about every 5 to 10 seconds if you watch the maintenance screen, it seems to stay happy if you don't make too big a jump in a single cycle.
My "Art Taylor" temp mod is remote mounted so I don't have to chase the switch back and forth while printing.
Regards
Drew
Yes, that was my findings/recommendations too. I had presumed the Art Taylor mod would walk the temp up and down slowly as part of its programming. Personally I chose a moving mod because I prefer not to have to make a reliable wiring loom. In turn I chose a design that was light enough to be on the flying head AND easy to change while in motion. It's a matter of preference.

sfinktah

Post by sfinktah » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 pm

50% says I didn't get an error is that I was changing the target temperature, rather than the temperature reported from the sensor.

Other 50% says the overall temperature wasn't high enough to trip that alarm — e.g. if you are at 270º real temperature and you flick the switch and it reports back 320º ....

BTW, here is a picture of my D.I.Y. housing mod, since I couldn't afford the real deal like Julia.

I'm running the filament in from above to reduce the dimensions, and also because it allows the roll to rotate. I've been having a lot of trouble with this new filament being rolled funny, and get caught when unwinding. glares at certain sydney based filament reseller

sfinktah

Post by sfinktah » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:26 am

Okay, I guess you didn't steal your "Filament Server System" from my lovely picture there, seeing as I was about 6 months late to the party.

P.S. I read somewhere that you "created the first line of low-cost electronic percussion instruments..."

I'm assuming you didn't design the Roland TB-606.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:26 pm

sfinktah wrote:Okay, I guess you didn't steal your "Filament Server System" from my lovely picture there, seeing as I was about 6 months late to the party.

P.S. I read somewhere that you "created the first line of low-cost electronic percussion instruments..."

I'm assuming you didn't design the Roland TB-606.
No, I invented and designed the Electro-Harmonix "Space Drum" line, including the Space Drum, Sequencer Drum, Crashpad, etc., and the Clockworks rhythm synthesizer, which was just reintroduced (with its original circuitry!) after being out of production for 33 years.

The Crashpad was used on Soft Cell's "Tainted Love".

julia

P.S. Feel free to amend your comment on Thingiverse at any time.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:32 pm

JuliaDee wrote:[

No, I invented and designed the Electro-Harmonix "Space Drum" line, including the Space Drum, Sequencer Drum, Crashpad, etc., and the Clockworks rhythm synthesizer, which was just reintroduced (with its original circuitry!) after being out of production for 33 years.

The Crashpad was used on Soft Cell's "Tainted Love".
Just Cool!

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:11 pm

ABS is simple, most stuff works, given that you have a temperature mod and drop about 20-30 degrees.

If it strips after an hour or so, reverse your stock fan so the stepper gets cooled more efficiently. This is normally a PLA problem, but I've had it on some spools as ABS as well.

HIPS is pretty similar, smells less.
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:02 pm

stormychel wrote:ABS is simple, most stuff works, given that you have a temperature mod and drop about 20-30 degrees.

If it strips after an hour or so, reverse your stock fan so the stepper gets cooled more efficiently. This is normally a PLA problem, but I've had it on some spools as ABS as well.

Did you respond in the wrong thread?

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:26 pm

roller wrote:
stormychel wrote:ABS is simple, most stuff works, given that you have a temperature mod and drop about 20-30 degrees.

Did you respond in the wrong thread?
Nope, question was : ' bought almost all manufacturers of ABS wanna know you who have spent some time working with ABS, which is the material that best suits UP ?.'
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Oh you are replying to the OP question ... you may not have noticed that was 14 months ago ... the thread has kinda moved on a bit hence my confusion.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:56 pm

roller wrote:Oh you are replying to the OP question ... you may not have noticed that was 14 months ago ... the thread has kinda moved on a bit hence my confusion.
Lol, did not check the start date :p
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:38 am

I have fallen for that quite a few times myslef.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:35 am

roller wrote:I have fallen for that quite a few times myslef.
:)
@stormychel