Distorted print

Talk about anything.
lukeott

Distorted print

Post by lukeott » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:05 am

Hi

I've had my Up Plus 2 for a week now and am pleased that it's been as simple to use as I had hoped.

However I've printed an item a couple of times now and it's coming out really distorted.

Here is what the part looks like:
up screen dump.jpg
up screen dump.jpg (208.76 KiB) Viewed 12428 times
and here are a couple of photos I've taken of one of the corners:
IMG_1183 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1183 (Medium).JPG (19.53 KiB) Viewed 12428 times
IMG_1185 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1185 (Medium).JPG (26.07 KiB) Viewed 12428 times
I realise there's a few issues going on here including the edges warping upwards and lifting away from the support, but I'm more concerned that the full radius of the model is coming out squashed on the top.

I'm using Up ABS, version 2.0 software. 0.2 resolution, normal quality and I've tried "Solid" and "Big Hole" Fill both with the fan closed and open. Preheated for one hour (with a glove on it to even it out). No draughts in a warm room (about 23C I'd say)
Results are very similar each time.

Any pointers on where I may be going wrong?

Luke

lukeott

Re: Distorted print

Post by lukeott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 am

I should probably also mention that I printed with a raft (default settings) and before printing calibrated the nozzle height and platform level using the built-in tools on the Up Plus 2.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Did you verify that the platform is perfectly level ?

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Yes. I used the Auto Level feature which takes 9 platform readings and offsets them, then checked it afterwards using a slip of paper as a feeler gauge.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:37 pm

The flattened top radius is due to the print lifting off the platform. The Up thinks the print is lower than it is - the radius is being printed, but the print is higher than it should be so the radius is getting mushed into it. The Up doesn't know the print is floating up there.

Preheat the bed completely, swab the perfboard with acetone, and make sure the initial platform height is high enough that the first layer gets well-pushed into the perfboard holes.

julia

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:51 pm

That bit about the squashed radius makes perfect sense, as it's most pronounced on the corners of the print.
JuliaDee wrote:make sure the initial platform height is high enough that the first layer gets well-pushed into the perfboard holes.
I'm not too sure what you mean. Are you saying the nozzle height should be LESS than 0.1mm from the perfboard during print? So far I've been relying on the "Nozzle Height Detect" routine.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:19 pm

I've never used the auto-detect as I don't have an Up 2. I set my initial platform height to about 0.2mm by eye and experience, then verify it by watching the first layer as it's deposited. If the filament bead is mostly just sitting on top of the perfboard, the platform height is too low and lifting is likely to occur. If it's super-flat and more "in than out" it could be too high and feeder jams or filament slippage may occur due to excess back pressure. If it's sort of halfway - well-pushed into the perfboard holes but with 1/3 - 1/2 of the bead still on top, then it's optimal. Hard to describe but easy to see once you learn to recognize the right signs.

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi Julia

Understood. From memory it seemed about right, but I might run the first layer again tonight just to be sure.

Regards

Luke

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:29 pm

That looks like a very challenging shape in terms of adhesion/lifting, since the radius at the bottom results in such a small surface area in contact with the raft/platform. Maximizing support could help in that it would provide more "anchors". Or maybe add some external "anchor-like structures" at the corners that you can cut away later. Good luck!

julia

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Also, do that acetone swab just before printing starts - that way it will soften any plastic already in the perfboard holes, and also soften the first layer, improving adhesion.

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks Julia

I'll try all those suggestions and let you know how I get on.

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Result!

I did as you suggested and changed the Support Angle to 80 degrees and ticked Stable Support, then wiped the warmed perfboard with acetone just before printing and it's come out nearly perfect.
Thanks again.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:10 pm

lukeott wrote:Result!

I did as you suggested and changed the Support Angle to 80 degrees and ticked Stable Support, then wiped the warmed perfboard with acetone just before printing and it's come out nearly perfect.
Thanks again.
:D

user76

Post by user76 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:07 pm

One thing to also watch out for is the belt belt for the platform front to back axis. I had parts that had circles and they would come out oval shaped. Calibration wouldn't fix it. I discovered the block that grips on to belt for the Front to Back axis of the platform was loose. It introduced slop into that axis. You could move the platform front to back with ease by hand.

I had to take the thing apart and tighten the block on to the belt better. After that I had to recalibrate all over again. I went through so many calibration prints before finding the issue with the belt.

I have an Afinia/Up and their phone support was useless for this issue, they had no idea. (In fact everything I have called them for has been a waste of time)

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 am

Fortunately I don't have any ovality problems at the moment, but I'll remember this if it does happen.

pilotltd

Post by pilotltd » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 am

user76 wrote:One thing to also watch out for is the belt belt for the platform front to back axis. I had parts that had circles and they would come out oval shaped. Calibration wouldn't fix it. I discovered the block that grips on to belt for the Front to Back axis of the platform was loose. It introduced slop into that axis. You could move the platform front to back with ease by hand.

I had to take the thing apart and tighten the block on to the belt better. After that I had to recalibrate all over again. I went through so many calibration prints before finding the issue with the belt.

I have an Afinia/Up and their phone support was useless for this issue, they had no idea. (In fact everything I have called them for has been a waste of time)
Same problem with my new Plus 2 - somebody hadn't adjusted the clamp correctly or tightened the screws!

Steve