123D Make for making models print friendly

Talk about anything.
roller

123D Make for making models print friendly

Post by roller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:26 am

I haven't tested this myself but based on the report below the new 3D Print options in 123D Make offer some interesting features for modifying STLs.

http://fabbaloo.com/blog/2013/7/3/autod ... abbaloo%29

Some features such as repairing, hollowing models and thickening areas that are too thin to print (hopefully we can specify the min thickness that is desirable) should be particularly useful. Although it's design to output direct to a Makerbot printer it does let you save out the modified STL for use in UP software (apparently). I'll give it a go in a couple of weeks time but perhaps if someone else finds it useful they can report their experiences.

roller

Re: 123D Make for making models print friendly

Post by roller » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:14 am

Just using this for the first time - took me a while to find it - you may not be as stupid but if you can't find it you must:

Choose 3D print from the drop down on "123D Make" logo in the top left of the screen and choose 3D print. It will then let you download the 3D print utility.

I'll report back once I have used it if I find any useful results.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:29 am

Some results ... Firstly a little about what I needed - for me the usefullness and ease of this tool cannot be understated. I print a lot of architectural models. Usually when scaled down from full size to a reasonable scale (1:100 or smaller), usually many of the features become too narrow to print. Here is a recent example. The example here is a massing (low detail) model of a local church. Although the model looks nice with the open windows and base this should not be the case - it's just these details were removed due to being too thin. Similarly the floor is missing completely and roof over the outer aisles (wings) is actually mostly remnant support material and not properly formed.

The fixes took less than a minute - I used the "Thicken thin regions" - also by ticking the "Minimise Support" option you can see the best way to print to minimise support. This is by far the quickest and easiest tool for fixing these issues and overall I am very happy with the results. It even too less material and time to print!

Here's the pics:

Unfixed left and fixed on the right. The difference is night and day!

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:07 am

!