1.19 Software

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

1.19 Software

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Is this available, and if so, where? Any reviews or comments?

Thanks!

m_bergman

Re: 1.19 Software

Post by m_bergman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:41 pm

I have been doing quite a few prints with 1.19 at work.

The raft is unusual, two spread-out layers then the lattice bed, then a crisscross bed. It holds well to the part, is actually a little harder than 1.17 to remove.
The biggest thing to watch though is that with such a shallow base, a dead level table is a must.

The infill is slightly superior to 1.17, in that there are less gaps where the diagonals touch the borders. (I'll upload a comparison photo of a part done with 1.17 & 1.19 on the same printer tonight.)

Have had no issues to report after 20-odd prints.

Haven't had a chance to try the shell option, or pause at height.

One thing to consider is that I found at home that after installing 1.19, 1.17 wouldn't work any more. I presume due to the changes in the configuration files with the new options.

The software is available from http://3dprintingsystems.com/support/software/

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Thanks! I think I went straight from 1.16 to 1.18 without trying 1.17. 1.18 has a pretty shallow raft compared with 1.16 and earlier, but I haven't had a problem with bed levelness. Hopefully 1.19 will be no worse in that regard - one of the things I value about raft printing is the tolerance it gives for bed levelness and flatness.

If I remember correctly, 1.16's support was at times too easy to remove, and 1.18 struck a nice balance.

I haven't tried shell either. Not sure if 1.18 has pause-at-height or not, but I'd like to try the feature; I've done it manually a few times but that can get tedious pretty quickly :)

julia

Lann

Post by Lann » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:29 am

JuliaDee wrote:Is this available, and if so, where? Any reviews or comments?

Thanks!
You can directly download it at my local distributor website, no need to register. Go to http://www.3dprinter.com.my/3dprinter_resources.asp

doraemon

Post by doraemon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:54 am

I think Pause at Height was added in 1.19. Note that the number(s) you enter are in millimeters, not layers, so plan accordingly.

realrouge

Post by realrouge » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am

I have tried shell printing with 1.18 (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3731) and 1.19 (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6828). Both seem to be good.
The bunny had a bit of "drip" at the ears but not very much.
Best part about shell printing is the time. The penguin wold have taken almost 2 hours with full fill and now took 40 minutes. Even sized it 1.5
And offcourse it uses less material and is very light weighted.

I was wondering if somebody has tried the surface print option. Is it the same as shell or completely different?
Maybe I just try the bunny with surface option...

And I hoped 1.19 would bring us 0.1 layer thickness or is that just wishfull thinking? :)
Anybody knows if it is even possible?

Gilbert

ps. I have the up! mini

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:48 am

I have been using 1.19 for a few weeks and the new Mac 1.5.2 and been having issues. There is a suspicion it is related to my (printer) mainboard but now I am suspicious that its a Mac issue. Both my main systems are Macs and uploading a print from either 1.19 (using a native Windows install not a VM) or 1.5.2 (native Mac OS X install) stalls at the first line with the printer light flashing madly (much faster than a normal send process). I'd appreciate if any Mac hardware users can report if they get a similar issue.

m_bergman

Post by m_bergman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 am

Same printer, same orientation, same half-hour. Printed in 1.17, installed 1.19, printed in 1.19.
0.15mm layers, normal, loose.

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 am

You can also download it from afinia.com. I've noticed that rafts are a little harder to remove now, with octave filament at least

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:25 am

New to mechanical eng but not so new to SPAM!!!

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 pm

I don't know, Roller, he may be sincere - there's no link or anything.

Bergman, I hope those tanks are not going to be attacking Reims cathedral :o

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 pm

JuliaDee wrote:I don't know, Roller, he may be sincere - there's no link or anything.

Bergman, I hope those tanks are not going to be attacking Reims cathedral :o
Just checked his second post which is linked and is spam. I can smell it I tell you ... it's familiar but it ain't ham ;)

nickw

Post by nickw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 am

I have been using 1.19 for a few weeks now and I feel like support material is actually
easier to remove with genuine filament.
I did have a problem where I started a print and the nozzle seemed to not stop preheating. It started
to bubble and smoke for a second before I shut it down. After I reinitialized it was fine. Thankfully
this has only happened one time. Not sure if it was a software error though.

johnwulp

Post by johnwulp » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Why isn't this software on the main download page?

GritCorp

Post by GritCorp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 am

Hi,

I am on a Mac software version 1.5.2 with a Up! Plus 2 and both work like a charm.
Rafts are indeed very hard to peel off,..any tips or tricks from the more experienced users greatly appreciated ;)

My 2 first prints ^^ Regarding the Dunny figure, the brown spots, can they be due to too much humidity in the room i have the printer in ? Grateful for any pointers as to why, thanks.

OP-1 mini synth stands with screws. (fits perfectly)

Dunny

Best,
sergio

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 am

The brown bits are due to roasted bits that get stuck to the tip - on a new machine it seems you get a lot of these (I did and I've noticed more questions about them from new users) so I think there is also a lot of roasted ABS from the testing extrusions they do during manufacturing. It will subside and I presume the synth stands were the more recent print?

GritCorp

Post by GritCorp » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks roller for the info, really appreciated ;)
I did print the synth stand first,. but the pieces are very small, took around an hour,. then i printed the Dunny which took around 10 hours,..wanted to test the solid printing.
When one hears little popping sounds during the extrusion, is that related to the brown spots ?

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:55 pm

When one hears little popping sounds during the extrusion, is that related to the brown spots ?
Possibly but more often associated with water. All the plastic filaments absorb water and if they absorb a lot you get popping. If you live somewhere humid (like I do) store your filament somewhere dry with moisture absorber. I use an air tight drum in which the bottom is full of kitty litter. I have a black one too which I can leave out in the sun with the litter in the bottom to dry out filaments that sat out too long. A little bit of water wont affect quality too much though.

You can also get popping from using an aftermarket filament at genuine filament temp as most filaments are formulated to be printed about 30-40C degrees cooler than Up! filament. Many folks here have made a temperature mod to make it print at a lower temp when desired.

GritCorp

Post by GritCorp » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks Roller for all the info, for now i am using genuine Up! ABS filament, but i do plan on using Nylon and Laywoo soon.
Shame the temp control has to be done through a mod, and not just a software setting.
Are they retaining that option, just to make sure people use Up! filament ?

Best,
sergio

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:48 pm

Are they retaining that option, just to make sure people use Up! filament ?
It seems the most obvious reason but I can think of others. A closed system is an obvious way reduce the support load on the business. It may also be a restriction of the licenses from the parent company (I am inclined to think this is why the print areas are so small) or it may just be they can't be bothered. But sell the printers cheap and make money on the filament seems the most likely. Of course, since it is so trivially circumvented by a resistor and people get excellent print quality and support removal once they mod the temperature, the restriction now seems pointless enforcing.... especially when companies like Octave are selling them as a quick and easy mod.