Hyrel Printers

Talk about anything.
JuliaDee

Hyrel Printers

Post by JuliaDee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 pm

I don't know how I missed these guys before. Really, really professional-looking. Not cheap but not outrageously expensive, either. And not just one, but a line of 5 models at different price points.

http://www.hyrel3d.com/
E3-Main-1_zps7bc93dd9.jpg
E3-Main-1_zps7bc93dd9.jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 20315 times

roller

Re: Hyrel Printers

Post by roller » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 am

I don't know how I missed these guys before. Really, really professional-looking. Not cheap but not outrageously expensive, either. And not just one, but a line of 5 models at different price points.
I saw the write up on them yesterday too and thought exactly the same thing. Love the extrusion options and 4 extruders - thought the print size looks like it would be quite small if you used all for on one object. Nice looking build quality too - very Up!ish. I wonder what software they use though as the ARM based controller is not typical reprap so might not be open source friendly.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:33 am

roller wrote:
I saw the write up on them yesterday too and thought exactly the same thing. Love the extrusion options and 4 extruders - thought the print size looks like it would be quite small if you used all for on one object. Nice looking build quality too - very Up!ish. I wonder what software they use though as the ARM based controller is not typical reprap so might not be open source friendly.
If the code is in C or another higher-level language I'd think it'd be quite portable from one microcontroller to another.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:48 am

Well it is mostly arduinos driving the reprap community so it C/C++ based and not overly complex but being so IO dependent it is a pain to port yourself if you want to keep up with changes - they occasionally go through rapid development spurts. I was thinking more that if they weren't supplied with an open source friendly firmware then the the gcode from the typical toolchains wouldn't work and that would be a pain.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:55 am

Hi, very nice looking printer but I can't find the pitch/resolution or is it me?
Does anybody know?

Cheers
Always breath out on the way UP

m_bergman

Post by m_bergman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:00 am

If you wade your way through all the kickstarter info you eventually find out that the minimum layer thickness is 0.1mm

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 am

If it is reprap/open source based there is no real limit on the minimum layer height except for what the minimum step size is on your Z axis. Usually the limit is how accurately you need to calibrate with such small layers.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:17 am

roller wrote:If it is reprap/open source based there is no real limit on the minimum layer height except for what the minimum step size is on your Z axis. Usually the limit is how accurately you need to calibrate with such small layers.
Calibrate in what way?

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Calibrate in what way?
The reason 0.2-0.25mm layer heights are so popular are these are so forgiving, low enough to be fairly clean and stable but not so low that it gets tempermental.

The biggest issue is you need to get your flow rate just right because with such small layers and so little space around the nozzle the if you get too much or too little flow you will get all sorts of print issues. Of course this includes getting consistent bite on the filament and compensating for every different filament that bites differently. Anyway, with the miniscule layer height your filament feedrate needs to be just so as the small tolerances are less forgiving. Googling around the trials and tribulations of many an Ultimaker using often gives a good list as these guys are the kings of playing with (5) micron layer heights.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm

roller wrote:
Calibrate in what way?
The reason 0.2-0.25mm layer heights are so popular are these are so forgiving, low enough to be fairly clean and stable but not so low that it gets tempermental.

The biggest issue is you need to get your flow rate just right because with such small layers and so little space around the nozzle the if you get too much or too little flow you will get all sorts of print issues. Of course this includes getting consistent bite on the filament and compensating for every different filament that bites differently. Anyway, with the miniscule layer height your filament feedrate needs to be just so as the small tolerances are less forgiving. Googling around the trials and tribulations of many an Ultimaker using often gives a good list as these guys are the kings of playing with (5) micron layer heights.
Thanks for the clarification. We Uppers tend to take flow rate control for granted since the Up does such a good job handling it, but obviously it's a critical parameter. 200 microns is good enough for most of what I do, and 150 is handy for critical tiny parts. I'd love to be able to do 80-100 reliably but below that I think I don't have much need.

Winstonc

Post by Winstonc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up Julia, I also missed this one.

Couldn't help my self, just ordered the two headed version!

I think I am getting a bit long in 3d printers as I now have an UP plus (Afinia) a MendelMax I built, currently building a SeeMeCNC Rostock Max and have on order a QU-BD Revolution XL, Form 1 and now the Hyrel :oops:

David

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:11 am

Winstonc wrote:Thanks for the heads up Julia, I also missed this one.

I think I am getting a bit long in 3d printers as I now have an UP plus (Afinia) a MendelMax I built, currently building a SeeMeCNC Rostock Max and have on order a QU-BD Revolution XL, Form 1 and now the Hyrel :oops:

David
Nice collection, David! I've got an Up and an Afinia, and a QU-BD RXL on order (going on 8 weeks now...). Had I known about the Hyrels I might have ordered one of them instead of the RXL, but the RXL is 1/3 the price and I think it's going to be very nice.

How do you like the Form 1? The small build size and limited colors/materials are big drawbacks for me, but I suppose for tiny high-precision parts it's good.

Julia

Winstonc

Post by Winstonc » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:14 am

Like the RXL, the Form1 is on order for delivery August or whenever ;)

I like the idea of the Form 1 for the resolution and detail.

David

outsider

Post by outsider » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:18 am

I too have my eye on the RXL, though the print platform of the RPM is also attractive...

Anyone know if the QU-BD printers use a custom software package(like the Up) or if they use open source software?
adrian.
My Blog

Winstonc

Post by Winstonc » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:20 am

It's open source.

David

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:21 am

Anyone know if the QU-BD printers use a custom software package(like the Up) or if they use open source software?
Yup, definitely open source/reprap based project.
200 microns is good enough for most of what I do, and 150 is handy for critical tiny parts. I'd love to be able to do 80-100 reliably but below that I think I don't have much need.
I suspect the only reason the Up! doesn't do 50micron is it gets a little unreliable especially with filament jams especially the amount of skipping we already get if you go a fraction too low - I think the back pressure will result in filament jams too often from grinding out one side of filament of filling up the extruder teeth with plastic shavings. That said the consistency of genuine filament is a key factor in thin layer reliable printing.

rsilvers

Post by rsilvers » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:11 am

Dual-extruder version is twice the price of a dual-extruder RXL, no enclosure to keep in ABS heat (RXL has polycarbonate sides), has a smaller build volume, and is probably slower.

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 am

rsilvers wrote:Dual-extruder version is twice the price of a dual-extruder RXL, no enclosure to keep in ABS heat (RXL has polycarbonate sides), has a smaller build volume, and is probably slower.
But has clip-on paste extruder so I can print in play-doh ... though clay or icing sugar is probably a little more useful.

ffc

Post by ffc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Winstonc wrote:Thanks for the heads up Julia, I also missed this one.

David
Have you gotten your hyrel printer?