"printer is disconnected" USB connection problem. Please hlp

Support for UP Plus and UP Plus 2. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
vad_ns

"printer is disconnected" USB connection problem. Please hlp

Post by vad_ns » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:58 am

hi everyone.
first i want to say thanks for all great posts on this forum, i have been following it for a couple month and found a lot of very helpful info!
i have afinia 3d printer, i think it is the same as up plus, so i might ask for help here.
overall i am happy with this printer, easy to use, great prints. i had no single problem with it till today. after turning on my printer, i can't get it connected to pc. i tried different cables, different laptops, pc just doesn't see any usb device connected. i can do initialize on printer, it's goes to home position, everything works the same, but no recognition by pc.
did anyone had the same problem? if so, what was your solution for it? i read about failure of motherboard, i really hope it's not this case :oops:
anyway, i sent mail to tech support, i will post any news from them here.
if you have any advise, please reply. all input is greatly appreciated!!!
thanks,
Vadym

josejuako

Re: "printer is disconnected" USB connection problem. Please

Post by josejuako » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:58 am

Hi
Tell us what system use , windows or mac and the version ?.

vad_ns

Post by vad_ns » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 am

I am using windows vista. Thanks!

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 am

Yes you might need to replace both tug the motherboard and CPU. Try it on another PC. Do you here the USB notification sound when connecting to PC?
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

DytHlt

Post by DytHlt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Dumb question, but have you restarted your PC? Mine did the same thing once, restarted PC and it was fixed.

vad_ns

Post by vad_ns » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Yes, i did restart pc, tried another one, not working.
Received reply from support, they told me to reset cpu in printer, i did that, no effect, the same "no usb connection"...
Now have to wait till monday for respond from them, looks like i need to replace motherboard or cpu.
Just wandering how often something like this happening?
Thanks for comments.

ftdesigns

Post by ftdesigns » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 pm

same exact thing just happened to my Affinia. I had just printed something, changed over the plastic color, and the platform was still heating. I plugged in the cable to run a print and there was 'no connection'. The 'initialize' button on the front of the Affinia works, but thats it. And I can't initialize from my laptop (windows 7).

my other affinia printers still connect to this laptop, so its not the laptop. and i switched usb cables... to no avail.

vad_ns

Post by vad_ns » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Sent my printer to afinia for repair. Will post updates on how it goes, and what was the problem. I just really hope that it not gonna happen again after about next 2kg of prints...will see

Robin

Post by Robin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:32 am

I got that fault last night, no dee-dum noises when I plugged/umplugged, luckily just before my bed time.

I unplugged everything and said, "I'll look at it in the morning". Come the morning everything seems fine and dandy.

I can see two possibilities...

1: A thermal fault.

2: Overnight without the PSU the capacitors discharged and something got reset.

It could be that if you lose the connection the best thing is to do nothing more than isolate it while it cools down.

It could be that my Afinia is on it's last knockings and I am witnessing it's dying gasp :mrgreen:

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 pm

It seems from reports on this forum that this fault occurs after a USB unplug and replug has occurred. I know many here recommend unplugging the USB to avoid corrupt data causing print problems. However I believe these corrupt data issues, with USB plugged in signify large "earth loops" in the inter connection between equipment. Yes unplugging the USB will prevent them but is it the same large"earth Loops " or static that could be damaging the printer when plugging the USB back in. Much better to eliminate the "earth Loops" or potential differences between the equipment than constantly unplugging and plugging back in. At least make sure the printer is turned off and the AC unplugged before plugging in your USB cable.

cheers

Peter

Robin

Post by Robin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm

mr6k wrote: I believe these corrupt data issues, with USB plugged in signify large "earth loops" in the inter connection between equipment.

Yes, there is a connection between the PSU earth and the USB shell, I just buzzed it out. There is an earth loop.

I know USB is supposed to be hot pluggable, the grounding shell must connect before D+ and D-, but it still seems all wrong whenever I do it :mrgreen:

Vadym was told to reset the CPU in the printer which sounds credible. These modern CPU's usually have a zillion built in gizmo's, which means a zillion plus registers that can be written to control them. Nobody bothers to write them all when they initialise, the CPU reset line does that for you. However if you get a glitch you might get an accidental write causing a fault. If the register that got glitched doesn't get overwritten when you click "Initialise" then that isn't going to fix anything.

Turning the printer off at the plug doesn't necessarily force a Reset for some considerable time.

Is there a reset button hidden inside the case ?

vad_ns

Post by vad_ns » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Received my printer back in about one week, really fast.
problem was fixed. receipt showing that cpu was replaced.

"Is there a reset button hidden inside the case ?"
there is button Image
CPU Reset Switch by vad_ns, on Flickr

than, after a few prints i have problem with my heating platform cable.
temp readings start to jump, i opened cover, and my cable is damaged.......
just sent another email to tech support, hopefully i will get new cable

2 by vad_ns, on Flickr

:cry: :cry: :cry:

JMS3D

Post by JMS3D » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 am

I have the same problem with my Afinia printer but I do not unplug the laptop and USB cable. Usually have to reboot printer and or software to re-establish connection which allows the bed to cool and I have to wait until it is reheated to begin again. Recently, nothing worked to establish a connection until the unit cooled down. Called tech support and they think I Need to send it back for repair under warranty. Printer is all packed up and ready to ship. Will let you know final outcome. Tried another USb cable and the problem repeated. Just hope they can get it warmed up enough to repeat the problem.

vad_ns

Post by vad_ns » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:52 am

got my cable in few days. looks bit different, support guy told me it's improved design, will see for how long it will last....
i really like support that afinia provides with, super fast and hassle free!!!! :D

Blown454

Post by Blown454 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Would you mind sharing the Afinia vendor? I think it is good to name those that are doing a great job, I have never had to send mine in but am hopeful I will have same experience if I do :).

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:00 am

Blown454 wrote:Would you mind sharing the Afinia vendor? I think it is good to name those that are doing a great job, I have never had to send mine in but am hopeful I will have same experience if I do :).
www.octave.com

vad_ns

Post by vad_ns » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:57 pm

I got my printer from octave, but all services and repairs provided by afinia.com

STI

Post by STI » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 am

Hi to all!

We had the same problem with "printer is disconnected". We sent motherboard and CPU to our dealer and they gave me new parts.
On the old motherboard we found coil (101), look like broken, and jumpers, look like being overheated.

This is new motherboard:
Attachments
DSC_3013.JPG
DSC_3013.JPG (149.51 KiB) Viewed 29519 times

tkerth

Post by tkerth » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Any update on whether or not hard resetting the CPU by pressing that button fixed anyone's problem? We just got our UP plus 2 about 3 weeks ago and it already will no longer by recognized by any computer. I can't imagine the motherboard or CPU are seriously damaged already so I assume a reset would fix the problem. Thanks

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:40 am

If it's not showing in device manager and you have tried a couple of PCs then the reset won't help
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists