Prints still skewing to the right.

talk about anything
Steelyd

Prints still skewing to the right.

Post by Steelyd » Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Yes, I'm still having skewing problems. It's strange, very small models print fine, complex models skew to the left, badly. When I print the calibration model, everything is skewed, right up to when the 4 tall posts are the only thing left to print. From there on, everything is straight and smooth, perfect! This is driving me nuts. I love this printer and it's sad to see it just sit there as I'm tired of wasting plastic on botched prints.

Steelyd

Re: Prints still skewing to the right.

Post by Steelyd » Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Correction, skew to the right, not the left.

Steelyd

Post by Steelyd » Fri May 11, 2012 12:00 am

I am in contact with UP! so hopefully will have a solution soon, just thought I'd post this in case someone else had run into this problem.
Attachments
5.jpg
You can see how the cube starts printing perfectly perpendicular and smooth (sorry for the bad photo but it is smooth) right after the skull has finished printing.
5.jpg (105.13 KiB) Viewed 8885 times
3.jpg
The calibration model print after resetting the calibration.
3.jpg (128.61 KiB) Viewed 8885 times
4.jpg
Calibration model print after entering x1: x2: measurements from the reset calibration print. (3.jpg)
4.jpg (147.54 KiB) Viewed 8885 times

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Couple of questions.
1. Did you press the "Reset" before entering your new values in the "Calibration" menu, if you don't do this every time you enter new numbers it just adds the value to what is already in, this can cause a lot of offset.
2. Is your build plate being nudged, are the three screws used for leveling loose, since in one of your pictures this appears to straighten up in one axis after a couple of levels could be the screws contacted the sides of the holes and had no where else to go.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

TTT험ทดสอบ

Post by TTT험ทดสอบ » Sat May 12, 2012 4:21 am

Steelyd wrote:Yes, I'm still having skewing problems. It's strange, very small models print fine, complex models skew to the left, badly. When I print the calibration model, everything is skewed, right up to when the 4 tall posts are the only thing left to print. From there on, everything is straight and smooth, perfect! This is driving me nuts. I love this printer and it's sad to see it just sit there as I'm tired of wasting plastic on botched prints.
It maybe caused by electrostatic interference from USB cable.

Unplug the usb cable from computer after the print start.

Darkhouse.

Steelyd

Post by Steelyd » Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. I always hit the reset so that's not an issue. The leveling screws are all tight. I usually unplug the usb as soon as the print starts so that isn't the problem. The strange thing is, low polygon models always print perfectly. It's like it starts screwing up when it reaches a certain polygon count, like when the 4 corners have completed on the calibration model and all that's left are the 4 tall posts. UP! wants me to send the unit back, but of course I'd would rather find the problem. Probably try trouble shooting by using a different computer, and maybe installing an older version of the software.

whryly

Post by whryly » Fri May 18, 2012 4:19 pm

DrewPetitclerc wrote:1. Did you press the "Reset" before entering your new values in the "Calibration" menu, if you don't do this every time you enter new numbers it just adds the value to what is already in, this can cause a lot of offset.
SOOO, does that mean if we use the button on the front to "shutdown" we are clearing the entered calibration values???

W

Steelyd

Post by Steelyd » Fri May 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Pretty sure that just initializes, like the command in the 3dprint menu, which is different than resetting the calibration.

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 pm

whryly wrote:
DrewPetitclerc wrote:1. Did you press the "Reset" before entering your new values in the "Calibration" menu, if you don't do this every time you enter new numbers it just adds the value to what is already in, this can cause a lot of offset.
SOOO, does that mean if we use the button on the front to "shutdown" we are clearing the entered calibration values???

W
Drew was referring to the "Reset" in the calibration window in the software.

The calibration is stored in your PC software, not in the printer. That also means that if you use the same printer with more than one computer you need to set the calibration in each computer.