Improvements I've made in the last year

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
firefly

Re: Improvements I've made in the last year

Post by firefly » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm

I am very interested in getting the upgraded extruder mount. I would expect it to be a very good upgrade. I was wandering if you had gotten feedback from Edward or any one else from PP3DP? I would expect they would be able to leverage their manufacturing capabilities to offer these parts as an option if they wanted to. I would also be interested to find out if they thought these would be a good idea or if there was a specific reason they made the design decisions they did with the current parts.

Firefly

FallGuy

Post by FallGuy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Drew,

I would be interested in a set of all of the machined metal parts. Looking at them they don't look particularly hard to machine( haven't seen the prints for them, though) so I think I could machine them myself. But no reason to invent the wheel all over again if someone else is able to do it for me!

Please keep us posted on what you find.
Thanks,

FallGuy

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:45 pm

I'd be interested in an extruder mount.

Well Drew this is a extraordinary part , what I need to find one.
Jejejejeje.......

Jose

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:42 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry I don't get much free time nowadays due to work but I have kept you all in mind.
My friend the tool maker is going to be making a set of these parts for our printer at work and when he does he will have a good idea how much time each part will take and then he can give me a quote and I will pass it along to you all.
I'm sure some of you may have tried to go to a machine shop and get quotes and for a one off part it will be expensive, our toolmaker believes he will be able cut that cost down we just don't know yet by how much.
For those of you that have the ability to machine these yourselves try to help if you can.

I've been printing now a couple of weeks with the new extruder mount and WOW is there a difference, to me it is one of the single most significant upgrades I've done.
Quieter printing
Smoother outside surface
Less burnt ABS smell

Also I've been fortunate to connect with another UPper (Madox) that had a new cooling fan mount that partially directs a flat stream of air across build plate, I redesigned it to better use the fan airstream and WOW did it make removal of support easier.
The cool air allows the newly extruded support layers to develop a skin so that the part layers do not stick as much and yes I can remove most support with just my tender fingers :o .
So far it does not appear to lessen to any degree the strength of the part and I have printed with lots of different ABS mixtures from different suppliers, I almost always print "Normal" and "Solid" but even "Normal" and "Big Hole" seem fine.
At work running "Makerbot" "Natural" ABS (cream colored) I printed a 120mm diameter x 20mm thick disk that has a 100mm diameter by 1mm deep depression on the bottom surface as it is printed with no raft, I was able to run the chisel along and the support zipped right off in one large piece, it was amazing, before the mod I would have struggled to gouge out the support and would leave behind many cuts and gouges from my part.

Tired, long day, not enough sleep, going to bed now, before I pass out on my keyboard.
Talk later
Drew
Attachments
01-DP1007-00 1.JPG
Render of the new fan mount.
01-DP1007-00 1.JPG (23.96 KiB) Viewed 17792 times
Extruder New Assembly 6.JPG
Render of my current extruder assembly.
Extruder New Assembly 6.JPG (103.49 KiB) Viewed 17792 times
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

firefly

Post by firefly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for all your hard work! I have been working on a couple of different designs to build a similar part. Are you going to upload the new cooling shroud to thingiverse? After your positive results I am really eager to try this.

Firefly

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:14 pm

firefly wrote:Thanks for all your hard work! I have been working on a couple of different designs to build a similar part. Are you going to upload the new cooling shroud to thingiverse? After your positive results I am really eager to try this.

Firefly
Thank you, I'm going to wait for Madox to give it his stamp of approval since he really should get the credit and I gave him my modded files, so give him a kind shout out and if he needs me to put them out there I will but I wanted to give him the firsties :geek: on posting them if he wants because he was kind enough to give them to me in to try.

And I want to say a personal thank you to Madox, I really appreciate your kindness to me. :D

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Wow. If this helps improve smaller prints as well (support removal and overall surface rigid-ity is allways an issue) this would rock... I usualy reach the UP's limits when doing so small stuff, and often it's just those things that turn a perfect print into a broken part.

Madox

Post by Madox » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 pm

Actually I mentioned previously that the part is a pp3dp part that I was trialing. I played no role in its design so can not take any credit there. I will be designing my own printable extruder housing/wind barrier etc later though..

Cut and paste from another thread, the new part is available for download :-
The Oceania Distributor now has it on their website

www.3dprintingsystems.com/support

Under Updates

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 am

I still say Madox is the greatest and thank him profusely for this tip :D , I've posted the modified part I made and love on Thingiverse here,
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17478
Try the original and then give my mod a try, I'm sure both will make a difference. :)
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:51 am

I am running the new wind barrier when I first saw the post on 3D printing systems - and I can verify that the supports just snap off! It is unbelievable how much one small change can make.

Good work guys!

I am trialing right now a custom extruder gear cooler design running off a fish tank air pump. I don't have access to a machine shop so I needed to design something that will work in the interim until these parts come on the market *nudge nudge*.

Once I can confirm this works (being based in Sydney there is a supplier of ABS/PLA here that has a melting point of 230deg and I have had little success printing this without slippage) I will post the design for all to use.

Love the community guys, keep it all coming!

Cheers,
Eddie

Madox

Post by Madox » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:26 am

At risk of derailing the thread...

Eddie & others, keep in mind that when you're using coloured plastic or non-OEM plastic you usually have to regularly clean your nozzle.

I was trialling coloured plastics and found that I had to clean out the nozzle every week or so.

Also be wary of PLA, as acetone does NOT clean PLA.
PLA is relatively easy to clean from a 'clean' nozzle by simply heating, but mixed in with the coloured ABS gunk it is quite annoying to clean out.

I have two extruders to avoid mixing plastics into the same nozzle.

PLA = Heat clean, usually flows out on a few extrude cycles.
OEM ABS = Acetone clean, usually dissolves away.
Other ABS = Acetone melt, plus using tweezers to remove some 'gunk' and a 0.25/0.3mm drill bit to clean the nozzle hole.
PLA + Other ABS = Eeek

Also remember to warm up the extruder before trying to pull off the nozzle, and thus taking care from the heat...

Yup definitely derailed the thread/went off topic :P

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:31 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:I still say Madox is the greatest and thank him profusely for this tip :D , I've posted the modified part I made and love on Thingiverse here,
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17478
Try the original and then give my mod a try, I'm sure both will make a difference. :)
Regards
Drew
I printed and installed the modified wind barrier this afternoon, and let me second (sixth?) what everyone else has reported--this makes a big difference. In terms of support and raft removal, the el-cheapo colored plastic is performing like OEM material. That's really saying something.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 pm

If anyone needs the STL files for other parts they are available here
http://pp3dp.com/images/download/UP%20PART%20STL.zip

The original mod can be found here http://3dprintingsystems.com/support/
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:14 am

Hey Drew,

Any chance you would be able to post the Solidworks (sldprt/sldasm) parts or assemblies of the components you have made?

I work with solidworks and have a few ideas I would like to try out - would be a real kickstart if you had them (particularly of the cable tray) and wouldn't mind posting them up for us to mod.

Otherwise if the solidworks files exist of the original components it would be great too (Featureworks is twitchy at best).

Plus it would save us from having to re-invent the wheel!

Cheers,
Eddie

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:39 am

Eurisko84 wrote:Hey Drew,

Any chance you would be able to post the Solidworks (sldprt/sldasm) parts or assemblies of the components you have made?

I work with solidworks and have a few ideas I would like to try out - would be a real kickstart if you had them (particularly of the cable tray) and wouldn't mind posting them up for us to mod.

Otherwise if the solidworks files exist of the original components it would be great too (Featureworks is twitchy at best).

Plus it would save us from having to re-invent the wheel!

Cheers,
Eddie
How to answer this question?
1. I have posted all the modded parts I've made for my UP! on Thingiverse.
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc/things

2. I have been "blueprinting" my machine as an attempt to understand the engineering and looking for ways to improve what is already a great design. :D
I am a Designer at a high tech company (can not call myself an engineer :ugeek: ) and what I'm doing is very similar to my day job so one thing I know about is "proprietary information" and I would not feel good about publishing these models as that could put me and PP3DP in trouble, this does not really apply to the printed parts as they are published for everyone already. :)
3. This represent a significant amount of my personal time and I don't think there is anyone that wants to pay for this and as I stated before it would not be right for me to put it out there. :oops:

I hope no one gets offended by my not sharing these particular items, I had a similar situation when I first joined Thingiverse where I posted images of my "Jupiter 2" design and did not post the files that make it. I got a lot of bad posts about it until I removed the images and I thought I learned my lesson, I guess I should not have posted the images of my "virtual" UP! I hope this does not become an issue.
I really enjoy this machine and I want to share all I think I can and I like everyone so far here too. I'm not used to some of the rough treatment I've received on the other forum so I am a bit "gun shy" :(
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs

Eurisko84

Post by Eurisko84 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:12 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote: How to answer this question?
1. I have posted all the modded parts I've made for my UP! on Thingiverse.
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc/things
2. I have been "blueprinting" my machine as an attempt to understand the engineering and looking for ways to improve what is already a great design. :D
I am a Designer at a high tech company (can not call myself an engineer :ugeek: ) and what I'm doing is very similar to my day job so one thing I know about is "proprietary information" and I would not feel good about publishing these models as that could put me and PP3DP in trouble, this does not really apply to the printed parts as they are published for everyone already. :)
3. This represent a significant amount of my personal time and I don't think there is anyone that wants to pay for this and as I stated before it would not be right for me to put it out there. :oops:

I hope no one gets offended by my not sharing these particular items, I had a similar situation when I first joined Thingiverse where I posted images of my "Jupiter 2" design and did not post the files that make it. I got a lot of bad posts about it until I removed the images and I thought I learned my lesson, I guess I should not have posted the images of my "virtual" UP! I hope this does not become an issue.
I really enjoy this machine and I want to share all I think I can and I like everyone so far here too. I'm not used to some of the rough treatment I've received on the other forum so I am a bit "gun shy" :(
All very valid points Drew, and as an Engineer working for a company that supplies proprietary equipment, it does make sense not to publish them.
In saying that, your time invested into it shows the dedication, and I wouldn't want to get you into trouble by publishing this type of data.

It would be a real shame not to continue seeing your progress - I have used your models and images as inspiration (and in anticipation to this response, have already modeled a custom cable tray of my own :P) as I am just getting into the field of 3D printing. As you know, its not hard to reverse engineer a product you have in your hand... just if you have the time/dedication to do so.
In the end, I hope you don't get lynched in this forum for posting them up, Im sure the guys here are all looking towards the same goal of getting the best printer in the market. :D

Hell, some of the best ideas come from the users :)

Keep up the good work mate!

Eddie

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks Eddie,

I too hope no one gets angry because I won't post files that PP3DP would consider sensitive to their business, but the STL files they already put out for everyone to use and mod are fair game, as to the improvements I make to parts like the extruder mount to the slide saddle I will post improvements like that as you cannot build an entire machine from just that.
I would be proud if PP3DP uses these improved parts in the future for a better product, I think some of the outside vendors have already adopted some of my tips and tricks as items to purchase and added them to their inventory, even my change of the leveling of the build plate was in a limited sense used by the UP! team (but they missed the mark).

I feel a great pride each time I glance through the expanded UP! manual and see my name on some of the tips and improvements.

I'm glad there are others out there that understand, Thank you :D

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello friends.
The truth the work of Drewes always exemplary quality of their presentations and their technical capacity, is time to do a tribute to his work and generosity. Thank you Drew.

Jose

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Am I doing something wrong, even with the newly cut slot for the fan cable, it doesn't reach?
- Andy

Madox

Post by Madox » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:47 pm

ata0921 wrote:Am I doing something wrong, even with the newly cut slot for the fan cable, it doesn't reach?
Deeper slot?