Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mod.

Anything you like to buy, sell, offer, or hire from the fellow Uppers?
stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mod.

Post by stormychel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:05 pm

- Temperature mod switch for the PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2.
- Small clickwheel with indication of dropped temperature, for example 2 = -20° celsius.
- Can drop the extruder temperature by 90° celsius in 10° steps.
- Contains connectors, so no cable cutting, just unplug the extruder from the PCB, and plug it into the mod. Then plug the mod into the PCB.
- Enable your printer to print all brands of filament, not just the PP3DP ones which extrude at 260° (typical ABS bought on eBay extrudes @ 220-230°).
- Does not invalidate warranty.
- Better, cheaper and more compact than the Octave version.

eBay price : 49,99 euros / forum price : 29,99 euros
20141016_140249747_iOS.jpg
20141016_140249747_iOS.jpg (49.89 KiB) Viewed 20164 times
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/PP3DP-UP-Mi ... 1470093813?
@stormychel

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by roller » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:27 am

*Designed by Simon/roller :). I also sell them to anyone who is closer to me ($30USD or $35AUD whichever is the lesser at the time) but only useful for countries close to Australia as postage is generally extortionate for us to send to you overseas. People in the USA will probably find we are about the same.

I include a case so you can clip it on rather than glue it on but will happily send the STL to anyone so you can mount it up yourself (until I get around to putting it on Thingiverse). I will include the Sketchup files there too.

Stormy I wish you had discussed ebaying them with me first.

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by stormychel » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:33 am

Roller you got a point there about eBay, just wanted to make them available because when I started with this printer I almost bought the horrible octave version. Pm me your paypal and you get 50% of what I make for each one sold (if any) above that 29.99 minus shipping.
@stormychel

mr6k
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by mr6k » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:33 am

Roller,
The principle and practice of using a resistor/ series of resistors as a means to mod the extruder temperature was, I believe instigated by wilsonj sometime before you joined this forum, Roller. Wilsonj also came up with the plug and play version that negated cutting anycables and threads from those early days also reffered to variable/ multiple resistors to set any temperature. I therefore do not see why anyone cannot promote or sell this mod in any adaption and do not see why Stormy needs to volenteer to offer you any redress. Now if you had patented the principle before wilsonj described and built a version that would be different matter.

cheers

Peter

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by stormychel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:04 am

mr6k wrote:Roller,
The principle and practice of using a resistor/ series of resistors as a means to mod the extruder temperature was, I believe instigated by wilsonj sometime before you joined this forum, Roller. Wilsonj also came up with the plug and play version that negated cutting anycables and threads from those early days also reffered to variable/ multiple resistors to set any temperature. I therefore do not see why anyone cannot promote or sell this mod in any adaption and do not see why Stormy needs to volenteer to offer you any redress. Now if you had patented the principle before wilsonj described and built a version that would be different matter.

cheers

Peter
You're probably right. But if wilsonj or roller want a cut of the extra I make off them on eBay I don't mind, I don't really make them to make money out of them, and if anyone could ship me the parts and include an envelope with postage to send the assembled mod back to them, I'd even do it for free :) The 39,99 eBay price includes free shipping, because I'm not interested in trying to find out how much shipping costs to every specific country. I'm just trying to help people out so they can get more out of their printer, and don't get tricked into buying the bulky Octave version. When I first planned to buy that version, I was forced to buy it from Amazon, who charged 50 DOLLARS for shipping to Belgium. Really? I bought a license for Netfabb Personal instead and started digging the forums for a better solution. Which I found here.
@stormychel

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by roller » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 am

mr6k wrote:Roller,
The principle and practice of using a resistor/ series of resistors as a means to mod the extruder temperature was, I believe instigated by wilsonj sometime before you joined this forum, Roller. Wilsonj also came up with the plug and play version that negated cutting anycables and threads from those early days also reffered to variable/ multiple resistors to set any temperature. I therefore do not see why anyone cannot promote or sell this mod in any adaption and do not see why Stormy needs to volenteer to offer you any redress. Now if you had patented the principle before wilsonj described and built a version that would be different matter.

cheers

Peter
Yes I know, wilsonj supplies all my filament these days ... and I do not presume to take credit for the resistance mod but I do beleive I was the first to bother to map out (from the RTD table someone else posted) and publish the average resistance steps for the temp jumps ie 0.37ohm/degree to make life easy for everyone else. I was only asking for acknowledgement for the thumbwheel arrangement which I was the first to do ... and as I like that it combines lightness, compactness and simplicity I just wanted a little appreciation for that spark.

I asked if stormychel would like to make them up to sell to Europe as I only do these mods to support the community and plug a weakenss in the usefulness of our printers for makers. If I send to Europe it costs the end user more in postage than the mod itself and I feel that is a little unfair and I would rather see people grab my simple mod that Octaves harder to use dipswithc mod (one that appeared soon after I posted details of this mod on the web). I sell the mod for a price I think they are worth ... if I made them at my normal hourly rate they would cost $65USD+ (I'm expensive with my work hat on) but I do it for love of giving to the making community not money because I have too much in the backlog of work and projects to do.

My concern over the ebay price was that it was a)expensive b)high profile as I try to keep the mods as low profile as possible so PP3DP does not feel the need to design them out of future models. I think the Octave mod is tolerable because it's clunky and I should know since I designed it (ie prior art) and it was annoying. I hope that straightens the fact out for you Peter.

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by stormychel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:23 am

roller wrote:
mr6k wrote:Roller,
The principle and practice of using a resistor/ series of resistors as a means to mod the extruder temperature was, I believe instigated by wilsonj sometime before you joined this forum, Roller. Wilsonj also came up with the plug and play version that negated cutting anycables and threads from those early days also reffered to variable/ multiple resistors to set any temperature. I therefore do not see why anyone cannot promote or sell this mod in any adaption and do not see why Stormy needs to volenteer to offer you any redress. Now if you had patented the principle before wilsonj described and built a version that would be different matter.

cheers

Peter
...
My concern over the ebay price was that it was a)expensive b)high profile as I try to keep the mods as low profile as possible so PP3DP does not feel the need to design them out of future models. I think the Octave mod is tolerable because it's clunky and I should know since I designed it (ie prior art) and it was annoying. I hope that straightens the fact out for you Peter.
a) They eBay price includes shipping, the base price with bidding is 39,99 ->29,99 I ask here + around 10 for shipping . The 49,99 ebay price is for people who want it NOW, and as I buy a lot on eBay I know that NOW means a lttle more expensive and fast delivery. So it is my priority to do so if someone wants it NOW, by packing it, going to the post office, and have it sent at a more expensive tariff which ensures faster and with tracking number. That's all :)

b) the mod is aleady made high-profile by Octave, and you can bet on it that the new printer is already designed to circumvent this mod.

Not my concern, my next printer will not be an UP!, as I'm in the progress of making a customized reprap (taller Z-axis), and if the UP! dies one day I will replace it with the cheapest possible out-of-box-and-ready-to-go-but-only-works-with-our-consumables printer, which I would have even bought at first if I knew before that the UP! could physically take any filament but is very picky and has to be fiddled with to get it working. I wanted a small, careless printer, and got tricked into buying the UP! because I thought it could take any fiament. My first choice was XYZprinting's Da Vinci Duo, and I still regret that I didn't make that choice instead of the UP!. Lesson learned, do more in-depth research before buying...
@stormychel

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by roller » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Just stating my concerns ... no need to justify. Just wish we discussed first. Just making things clear to the busy body who came in suggesting I had no right to comment. As for profile, Octave is a funny special case as is Afinia so in a way a different set of rules is seen to apply there. Anyways, to the more important stuff...

I think you will be shocked by the pain of using a reprap project powered printer. Having built oh so many and tuned tweaked oh so many more ... I am horribly over the whole project. I lived on Prusa style printers for a year and my own design for another 6 months before finding an Up and it was an enormous leap forward depsite the reduction in print area. But my prints are complex, almost always involve overhangs and need to have a base with consistent appearance ... so removable support is essential for me. Before that I lived with simple shapes or hours with a dremel type tool shaving off support material.

I have an old Prusa that never gets used and my design which occasionally gets used for parts that must be one large piece. But it has to be a very special case. A Zortrax or Up Box may be in my future to remedy that and I might ditch all my printers and those RAMPS boards can go into some small CNC designs :)

I think you actually dodged a bullet by getting an Up first .. .so you have a good based printer to help ou build mods for your other printers.

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by stormychel » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Would you buy the Box if there is a 100% chance it will not print with non-oem filament?

My 2 concerns about this are being limited to the colors that PP3DP wants to make, and we know that is very limited, AND what if they suddenly stop making the stuff for one or another reason?

Another concern could be price, but I know how much third-party stuff I need to throw away because of failed prints, and that I never had a failed print so far with the oem stuff, so the 1:2 difference is actually more like 4:6 or so...
@stormychel

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by roller » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 pm

stormychel wrote:Would you buy the Box if there is a 100% chance it will not print with non-oem filament?
I bought the Up Plus aware that I may not be able to print with non OEM ... but would I buy the box if I cannot hack it to print at a lower temp ... No I will not. I am also confident that I we will be abel to mod it in some fashion though. Personally, I expect it has pretty much the same design (control/extruder) as the other Upsand all that has been changed is the mechnical design of the axes. This would make it the cheap to prototype and bring to market, require minimal further development for the software and give more economy in parts manufacturing. It would also mean modding will be just as easy as the Mini and Plus.

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by stormychel » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Yep, I didn't want the Davinci either... had a dual extruder at the same price though.
@stormychel

mr6k
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by mr6k » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am

hi Roller,
I apologize if I have upset your feelings regarding the origination of the temp mod.
As you say you were only looking for acknowledgement for the thumbwheel design,
I only posted because the whole subject was under the Marketplace heading and looked like commercial discussions.
I have come from an electronic and precision engineering background, where IPR was strategic , so probably overstated the case.

However I do object to being referred to as a busybody!

cheers

Peter

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by stormychel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:34 am

It's a funny saying though, didn't know that one yet... :D (my native language is Dutch).
@stormychel

u4846489
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:16 am

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by u4846489 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:05 am

roller wrote:*Designed by Simon/roller :). I also sell them to anyone who is closer to me ($30USD or $35AUD whichever is the lesser at the time) but only useful for countries close to Australia as postage is generally extortionate for us to send to you overseas. People in the USA will probably find we are about the same.

I include a case so you can clip it on rather than glue it on but will happily send the STL to anyone so you can mount it up yourself (until I get around to putting it on Thingiverse). I will include the Sketchup files there too.
Hi Roller, I'd be interested in getting a temp mod for my Mini in Canberra. How should I go about it?

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by roller » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:45 pm

I'll PM you my email ... keep an eye out for a new message on the top menu of the forum.

Tobias79
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by Tobias79 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Hello stormychel,

i'm from Germany and interested to buy your Temp Mod.
But actually, i can not write an PM.

Greetings,
Tobias

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by roller » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:02 pm

Tobias, after you make a few posts you can PM.

Tobias79
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by Tobias79 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Hello roller,

thank you to know this. I contacted stormychel with other ways, but i will keep posting here. ;-)

Thanks,
Tobias

stormychel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 am
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by stormychel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Tobias79 wrote:Hello roller,

thank you to know this. I contacted stormychel with other ways, but i will keep posting here. ;-)

Thanks,
Tobias
Will be sent to you tomorrow morning! :)
@stormychel

Selelvian
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 4:56 am

Re: Details over PP3DP UP! Mini Plus Plus 2 10-step temp mo

Post by Selelvian » Sun May 10, 2015 11:36 pm

Hey roller,

I signed up just so I could ask you for one of these :D
(That's also why I can't PM you.)

Please tell me you're still making them.

Post Reply