Just bought a 'for parts' UP mini printer -need advice

Talk about anything.
Carnivore

Just bought a 'for parts' UP mini printer -need advice

Post by Carnivore » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Just bought a used UP mini 3d printer from ebay with the seller stating the 'red light turns on when plugged in'. From my knowledge of my UP plus 2, I believe he didn't have the driver installed on his windows computer that causes it not to function.

From the looks of the pictures, it doesn't seem used at all - only the tell-tale signs of melted filament from the testers at UP.

Can anyone else comment?
Attachments
delete_me.JPG
delete_me.JPG (224.19 KiB) Viewed 18296 times

mb20music

Re: Just bought a 'for parts' UP mini printer -need advice

Post by mb20music » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:06 pm

I am thinking it is likely the CPU board is fried.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:14 pm

mb20music wrote:I am thinking it is likely the CPU board is fried.
I don't think it is. When I first got my UP Plus 2, when I plugged it in, the light only turned red even after I installed the UP software. The only way to get it working was to source the 'unknown usb device' in the device manager to the driver folder.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:11 pm

I'd try reflashing the firmware if you can.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:12 am

Do you think it's just a corrupt file on the SD card?

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 am

Possibly or even a poorly seated SD card.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:26 pm

Got the printer, turns out the seller didn't know you had to initialize the printer before using. It was in brand new condition...got it for 280 USD with free shipping

ming

Post by ming » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 pm

you stole it :)
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Highway robbery was what that was.

Is there anyway for my PC to recognize both my UP Plus 2 and UP mini or do I do I need to only have 1 plugged in at a time?

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:08 am

That is a great deal, for you anyway. Even with the recent price drop on the Up! Mini - I have seen them for $599 from a few different places.

You can only have one plugged in at a time, you of course can have them both printing at the same time, you just have to unplug the usb cable after sending the file to the printer. Have to do a lot of cable swapping or get a USB switch box.

http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9fb#p30743

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:23 am

Isn't there a way to change the usb name? My computer recognizes it as China printer

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:49 am

mb20music wrote:That is a great deal, for you anyway. Even with the recent price drop on the Up! Mini - I have seen them for $599 from a few different places.

You can only have one plugged in at a time, you of course can have them both printing at the same time, you just have to unplug the usb cable after sending the file to the printer. Have to do a lot of cable swapping or get a USB switch box.

The new UP software supports multiple UPs with a drop down box to choose which one you want to print to.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:38 pm

wackojacko wrote:
mb20music wrote:That is a great deal, for you anyway. Even with the recent price drop on the Up! Mini - I have seen them for $599 from a few different places.

The new UP software supports multiple UPs with a drop down box to choose which one you want to print to.
He is right, I tried it on the new software and it works. Only thing that doesn't work is that I can't tell which one is which.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:13 pm

So the heated bed on the mini only gets half of the plate hot. Do you think it's a loose connector?

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:57 am

Hi there, new owner of the Up Mini here as well. Newbie to the whole 3D printing thing too.

Anyway, I'm also seeing warping on my models which extend to the edge. ie. > 8 CM in diameter.

From what I've managed to read, it's because unlike the Up Plus which you have experience with, the Up Mini has a simpler way of controlling the temperature. I'm gonna try and find this thermostat switch mentioned in this article and then mod my Plus Mini and see.

http://thevariableconstant.blogspot.com ... -hack.html

Another suggested action is to preheat the table for a while.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:56 am

Well I touched the heat bed of the mini and then the heat bed of my plus 2 and the mini is definitely not as hot.

This could be the reason why it's not heating the plastic as efficiently causing your prints to warp. Mine won't stick, even after I applied acetone to the perf board and lowered the height.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:28 am

When you say doesn't stick, it's that the part is peeling off the support base right?

The support base is printed properly right? Because if the support base isn't printed properly then that's another issue altogether.

In my short experience with the printer, if I tried to IMMEDIATELY print after a print, the support base won't stick to the perf board. I need to wait a while for something to cool or what not then only it'll stick properly.

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:43 am

When I say stick, I mean adhere to the perfboard. Usually if I do a larger print, one of the corners will come off.

On my plus 2, I've never had an issue of the plastic not adhering to the perfboard after a print. I can literally print one part after another without any problems.

I think what it comes down to is that the temp chip on the heating board needs to be replaced with a 100 degree chip if you want to print larger pieces.

I've ordered an octave module and was hoping to turn either my plus 2 or mini into a PLA printer but since the heater on the mini is so nerfed, I think I'm going to remove the ribbon cable that leads to the heating bed and attach the octave to the mini.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am

After talking to you, I realized that the source of my warping might be because my nozzle head level for the further corners aren't right, because my issue is that while the support rafts stick, the model ISN'T sticking on the support. I'll relevel the printer tonight and see if it solves my problem.

Temperature wise, the ambient temperature in Malaysia is 30+ degrees celcius, so it's pretty hot and toasty here :P so I was wondering why there'd be temperature issues causing the warping. In any case I guess if levelling the platform still doesn't work, I'll go get the chip.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Yup, Carnivore is right - this is a Mini issue due to the lack of heat. The issue is not present with the Up using exactly the same boards even with an immediate scrape/reprint on the same board with a very challenging print.