Floor cleaning robot - printed on Up printer

Share projects and models that you like, and wow the fellow Uppers!
MadeInGermany

Floor cleaning robot - printed on Up printer

Post by MadeInGermany » Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Here is my latest:

I have recognized that I will never learn to wipe my floors properly. Therefore I've build a floor cleaning robot - on my UP Printer.
Actual status: My floor cleaning robot has passed it's first test drive.
Upload 20140424_193711.png
My floor cleaning robot test drive 1
Upload 20140424_193711.png (139.48 KiB) Viewed 10830 times
Of cource not every piece of such a robot can be printed on a 3D printer: For example the electronic circuit with the microprocessor can not be printed. But a standard Arduino microprocessor unit is available on low cost. Building the additional electronics to adjust and measure the power, to drive the motors and to connect the ultrasonic based distance control unit can be build with cheap standard components on low cost. I have used http://www.Fritzing.org to build the cuircuit.
In addition the gear box motors, the wheels and the AKKU's are available in model building shops. And the wiping plate has been bought in a local drug store. But the robot chassis has been printed on the Up Printer (in 4 pieces due to the size limit of the Up- Printer).

I need to add the comment that my robot project is still in an early stage and there is plenty room of improvement.

The result on the first test drive was ...
a) a dirty duster
b) a big simile on my face :D
c) to get the conclusion that I need to adjust my cuircuit (The voltage regulator on my cuircuit did not survived the 20 minutes test drive and needs to get changed) :(
Upload 20140424_193347.png
My floor cleaning robot test drive 2
Upload 20140424_193347.png (171.92 KiB) Viewed 10830 times
I really like this Up printer ...

Chris botha

Re: Floor cleaning robot - printed on Up printer

Post by Chris botha » Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 am

looks great! at a quick glance I thought it might have been an electronic sanitary pad ;)

woofy

Post by woofy » Mon May 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Great project. :)
Your regulator probably only needs a heatsink (or a bigger & better heatsink), do you have a schematic of the robot?
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

MadeInGermany

Post by MadeInGermany » Mon May 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Sure, here is the actual schematic of the robot.
Bauplan mit Details updated.png
Schematic - actual status
Bauplan mit Details updated.png (230.03 KiB) Viewed 10798 times
Note: I have connected the Arduino on the 5V pin.
THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED! - It might lead to unexpected reboots and might damage the Arduino. Use Vin pin instead.

And this is the second version I am actually working on.
Note: UNDER CONSTRUCTION - UNTESTED!!!
Circuit.png
Circuit - second Version under construction
Circuit.png (228.2 KiB) Viewed 10798 times
Some people say that the capacity after the voltage regulator shall not be bigger than before the voltage regulator. Other people don't care and place a big capacitator (C4) after the voltage regulator.

Therefore I try it in the second version up front with a big C5 to stabilize the voltage. Good question if C4/C7/C1 will be sufficient.
The Q1, D2 and R1 act like a diode without the disadvantage to drop voltage. I've never tested such cuircuit, it's a suggested piece of cuicuit which I've found in a german web site which relates to cuircuits.
To drive the motors I am using an Arduino motor shield which is using a L298. The actual prototype is using a Tamiya 70168 double motor gearbox on 5 V (knowing that on 5V these motors will not work forever ... and having 6V replacement motors in the shelf).

To drive the robot forward I have increased the PWM signal step by step wich ended up in a current of 0,67A.
While rotating the robot I've worked with a fixed value for PWM - and ended up with 2,67 A (for a short period of time). The maximum of the 78 S 05 is 2A with heat sink. Looks like I've damaged the 78S05 voltage regulator after 20 minutes ...

Any suggestions, notes and comments are welcome :roll:

woofy

Post by woofy » Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 am

What a superb project.

Only real comment I'd make on the circuit is to dump the 5v motor regulator and connect the motors and the Vs pin of the L298 directly to the battery. You still need to keep the 100n/1uF/100uF on the battery line as an energy dump for the recirculating currents. You also need to reduce the pwm width in proportion to the increased voltage (7-15v - whatever you are using) and keep the pwm frequency at 20KHz or higher. Apart from not roasting your regulator you will also have a longer battery life.
You might also consider putting your robot on thingiverse or youmagine for others to build.

So now we need a youtube video of it in action. :mrgreen:

MadeInGermany

Post by MadeInGermany » Tue May 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Here is the link to a video of the 1st test drive:
http://youtu.be/D_8TZCYzuLs

Before I upload the construction to thingiverse (or something similar) I need to finish the curicuit, compile a part list and where to order the parts which can not be printed on a 3D printer.
But first of all I need to finish the robot itself.
As I said earlier the robot is on a status of an early prototype. I don't want to disappoint other people who expect to get a fully tested robot construction kit.

woofy

Post by woofy » Tue May 13, 2014 7:57 pm

I love it when robotics and 3d printing is combined like this. I did my own 3d printed robot a while back.
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ing#p28379

Keep up the good work. :)

JuanCR

Post by JuanCR » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:57 pm

Great and awesome job!