Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
ahd71
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by ahd71 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:24 pm

I didnt use connectors (but that would be better). I used standard 2.54mm breakaway pins (male and female resp. like the ones used on arduino shields if you are familiar with thoose)

ktronik
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:52 am

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by ktronik » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:00 am

ichbines wrote:Nice and usefull Mod!

Can anyone me say how these connectors named. Where can I by them in Europe?

Sorry for my bad English.
JST XH 3S 11.1v Lipo Balance Wire Extension Lead, I use these for my lipo batterys...pretty sure they are the same...or just search '3S balance lead' on Ebay...

I have not done the mod, and only know what the plug looks like...

marto
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by marto » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Finally did this today. And the results with generic filament are almost flawless. Its still not quite as good as pp3dp stuff but for the price you can't argue.

In Australia I am finding it hard to get rolls for < $65 (after postage) so when I can get $40 filament which is 1kg not 700g its hard to say no.

Steve

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by roller » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 pm

marto wrote:Finally did this today. And the results with generic filament are almost flawless. Its still not quite as good as pp3dp stuff but for the price you can't argue.

In Australia I am finding it hard to get rolls for < $65 (after postage) so when I can get $40 filament which is 1kg not 700g its hard to say no.
Indeed, it's a bit hard when there is a supply monopoly. I really wish we could buy from overseas - it would be so much cheaper even after postage.

arifemre
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by arifemre » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Idea note_20140216_012915_02.jpg
Values
Idea note_20140216_012915_02.jpg (153.3 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
Idea note_20140216_012915_03.jpg
Pcb
Idea note_20140216_012915_03.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
Idea note_20140216_012915_01.jpg
64 choice temp mod
Idea note_20140216_012915_01.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
I made temp mod of 32 low temperature 32 high temperature choices acording to all information given here. It works great thanks all (i will send photos soon)
The values are theoretical. After measuring Each mod i can find exact temperature values.
The card can be simplified if anyone wants 5 degrees steps or more

arifemre
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by arifemre » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 pm

ichbines wrote:Nice and usefull Mod!

Can anyone me say how these conectors named. Where can I by them in Europe?

Sorry for my bad English.
I made connectors with standard pinheaders which you can find any store. 4male and 4 female you will neef

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by roller » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 am

I once went the dipswitch method (both cascade and a mixed) and found it too tedious because for the former I had to flick switches while in motion (or pause) and the latter had to look up the values on my table. That's why I went with the simple pushweel/thumbwheel and a series of 3.7ohm resistors giving nice 10C steps ... in fact you just subtract the pushwhell value x 10.

mr6k
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by mr6k » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 am

an easy way to measure the effect of the resistor change, if the exact values are unknown is as follows.
with a cold intilasied up, without doing anything to turn on extruder or platform heaters, just open maintenance window, set your resistor switch to original unmodded position, now note the extruder temperature, it should be around ambient, any difference is due to the combination of machine tolerances. note this temperature, now switch to or through your resitor settings, you will see the extruder temperature change instantly. . As you switch in lower extruder settings you will see the displayed temperature increase and vice versa.
To calculate the temperature that will apply to each resistor setting, subtract the new temperature from the ambient without the added resistors, now subtract this difference from the normal up extruder temperature. This gives an accurate indication regardless of actual resistance values.

cheers

Peter

(i believe this explanation has been given elsewhere , but it does no harm to repeat information)

roller
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Up! Mini - Extruder temperature mod

Post by roller » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 am

mr6k wrote:an easy way to measure the effect of the resistor change, if the exact values are unknown is as follows.
with a cold intilasied up, without doing anything to turn on extruder or platform heaters, just open maintenance window, set your resistor switch to original unmodded position, now note the extruder temperature, it should be around ambient, any difference is due to the combination of machine tolerances. note this temperature, now switch to or through your resitor settings, you will see the extruder temperature change instantly. . As you switch in lower extruder settings you will see the displayed temperature increase and vice versa.
To calculate the temperature that will apply to each resistor setting, subtract the new temperature from the ambient without the added resistors, now subtract this difference from the normal up extruder temperature. This gives an accurate indication regardless of actual resistance values.

cheers

Peter

(i believe this explanation has been given elsewhere , but it does no harm to repeat information)
I used the resistance table to get the correct values and built a spreadsheet for doing exactly what you are describing ie put in start temp before resistor added and then after. I think this spreadsheet should still be linked somewhere on forum. Anyway, I did this because I was using a trimpot to set my temp at the time. This was a fine experiment and proved one thing... this method doesn't work all that well mostly because we are extrapolating and multiplying the error of a small variance in resistance. The maintenance window also seems to be updated irregularly (maybe some fuzzy or debouncing logic applied) because it would take a while for that value to settle on what it should be. It's an ok method but not reliably accurate (better than 10C but often worse than 5C).

I'll repost a link the the proper resistance table when I find where I hid it from myself.

Post Reply