CPU upgrade for older models

Official Announcement from UP team
7Schlaefer

Re: CPU upgrade for older models

Post by 7Schlaefer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:02 pm

What are the advantages with the new board?

In the store i can only see latest software, and enjoy the features like Wi-Fi, APP on iPhone and iPad, Blackout recovery, and more.

What is "and more" excactly?

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:04 pm

You can not use th older software with the new CPU, only Up Studio.. As I still use version 2.18 I put the old CPU back in, Wifi does not work for me anyway - the Up Box will not show up in my network.

espinetegg

Post by espinetegg » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:24 pm

snakesrules wrote:Hi there,
nice surprise to have to pay about 35$ more for custom taxes :cry:
me too :cry:

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:58 am

I had to pay about the same amount of taxes as the whole package was worth. Tiertime stated that the value was 71 dollars (50 plus 21 shipping) but the shipping has to be declared separately according to customs/DHL. Now I had to pay €48,49 to get the parcel.

They say that if Tiertime provides the right invoice I can ask for a refund but first I had to pay :( nice from DHL

alcrp

Post by alcrp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:43 am

Liova wrote:Will it be possible to use 2.18 software after CPU upgrade for Up BOX?
Same question, any idea of whether it would be possible to still print with the software 2.18 after the CPU upgrade ?

snakesrules

Post by snakesrules » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:47 am

Hello,
what i can say is that it's not possible anymore to use 2.18 version with my Up mini 1st gen , only Up studio ...
As i was not able to use preheat in Up studio , i decided to put the old cpu back and make an " wifi sharing box " with an Orange Pi mini computer and now i have my up mini shared by wifi , with all the old functions back :D

realrouge

Post by realrouge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:30 pm

realrouge wrote:
tegregg wrote:
realrouge wrote:Got mine last week (also order new nozzle heater V5) for Up! Mini mk1
All installed fine but wifi is not working....no network is showing up...
Within software I also don't see any changes.....so far I just have a bought spare cpu :)
Did you follow the instructions about registering the wifi with it connected to usb first? Mine didnt show up until I did this.
Yup....always connected with usb. Now in contact with support....send pictures of the cpu with which led's are on/off/blinking....
Will send serial number 2 as you suggested in other post. Because I also have a no activation error

cheers
Update: Roman from Tiertime contacted me directly after mail to support and in the end he send me a new cpu.
This one is now working with activation (don't know what it brings me) and with wifi connection working.
Pitty the app is iphone only so no advantage for me there yet.

I hope they will introduce more features in the future like lower layer setting for example.

NB. temp setting is working fine...but that was a software setting right? :)

arhi

Post by arhi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:47 pm

snakesrules wrote: what i can say is that it's not possible anymore to use 2.18 version with my Up mini 1st gen , only Up studio ...
hm so this "upgrade" brings
- bed heater no longer properly works on number of printers
- slicer that works and has years of experience in it is no longer supported
- only the slicer that requires "top of the line" hardware and software on your slicing computer, internet connection, live servers somewhere in PRC generates closed source code sent to a new closed source firmware on "hidden" cpu

I'm not getting it? PRC gov decides to block another segment of internet and we lose printing capability ?! ... the only real thing this brings is wifi but so will the 20$ openwrt device ?! and will work with 2.18 that actually works

i really don't get it :(

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:23 am

Thanks to some friendly USA company and their lawyers, we have to make some change to the slicers :lol: .

The server is not located in China, its is amazon cloud.

vale_sarbu

Post by vale_sarbu » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 am

Also received my CPU upgrade, the value declared was 50$ but DHL takes a customs processing fee.
Real taxes were just 10$ (VAT), DHL adds ~22$ for making the import documents.

First time booting it beeped differently, seems to have a slightly modified init movement pattern? (maybe the axes moved during cpu swap and tricked me). But I like the led's automatic turning on, usually I would struggle to get the right double click to turn them on.

Board activated instantly as soon as I clicked the activate button and also printed 2 test prints.
Glued the WiFi antenna on the plastic part of the top, outside of the reach of the X carriage, near the corner.

My Wifi is channel 13 which is unsupported (have about 30 wifi's around me), and mine is the only one on 13.

Board contains a scratched out microcontroller, 1 wire secure eeprom, flash memory and a ESP wifi chip.
Seems to be hand soldered at least partly (around the ESP mostly) I think they use the old stencils for the main cpu and other identically placed components , and hand solder the rest.

arhi

Post by arhi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Tiertime-Jason wrote:Thanks to some friendly USA company and their lawyers, we have to make some change to the slicers :lol: .
details, details, details....
Tiertime-Jason wrote: The server is not located in China, its is amazon cloud.
why the hack is it so slow then? (or you are talking only about the slicer auth server and not everything else?)

motdari

Post by motdari » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:43 am

So the Up Mini Upgrade costs $250, plus 19% tax, plus customs, plus DHL handling charge.
I paid €350 for the Up Mini and have to pay about as much for the little piece of PCB ???
I was happy to hear about UP3D supporting "old" customers, but am bitterly disappointed.

tel

Post by tel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:31 am

The upgrade was $50 for the firs few weeks but has since gone back up to what can only be described as a grossly overpriced price. If the could initially be sold for $50 how can 5 times that price be justified?
Luckily I got mine early, but if anything goes wrong I will just be putting the old one back in at this price.

motdari

Post by motdari » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:36 am

$50 would have seemd quite a bit for a little piece of pcb, but at least somewhat reasonable...

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 am

£421 for the UP box CPU upgrade. Are you actually kidding me...

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 pm

UP_3DWP wrote:You can not use th older software with the new CPU, only Up Studio.. As I still use version 2.18 I put the old CPU back in, Wifi does not work for me anyway - the Up Box will not show up in my network.
Hi, is this confirmed to be the case?

My UK re-seller has stated that I'll be able to use 2.1x via USB just fine on the BOX+, and that it's only the wifi that won't work. Is this not the case?

The CPU upgrade price seems like a joke but I'm considering some UPBOX+ units for our company, but not if we have to use Studio.

Cheers.

tel

Post by tel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:56 pm

I am connected over USB and after the CPU upgrade you are only able to use Up Studio. I can start Up 2.18 and initialise the printer, but when it comes to printing you are not able to select the printer. It has a message saying you need to update the App.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Not good news, unless Studio has got a lot better in the last few months? (I've not been on here for a while. I'd reverted back to 2.17 as that was the only software that worked properly with my UpBox.)

Cheers, Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vmstech

Post by vmstech » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:32 pm

OwenSparks wrote:Thanks for the confirmation. Not good news, unless Studio has got a lot better in the last few months? (I've not been on here for a while. I'd reverted back 20 2.17 as that was the only software that worked properly with my UpBox.)

Cheers, Owen S.

Hi Owen,
I'd done exactly the same as you - given up with Studio. However, I downloaded the new version today and loads has changed, it has a lot more features now and is working a lot better, so I'd say its worth giving it another shot (version 1.6.1.2).
Heather

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 am

Hi Heather, good to hear from you.

Improved Studio sounds welcome. I'll have a look.

I can't try it at the moment as my printer is kaput. Have had support ticket open for nearly 7 weeks now and counting :evil: I stripped a lot of the printer down yesterday to try to get to the bottom of it and was shocked at the number of things wrong with it. :shock: Looking for a strong response from TT support before escalating.

Thread here:-
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=55840

How are you getting on with yours?

Cheers, Owen S.