Up! Software new releases for both Windows and Mac

Official Announcement from UP team
roller

Re: Up! Software new releases for both Windows and Mac

Post by roller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 am

Actually, I suspect it's putting something on the SD card since someone reported using the Windows version in a VM to calibrate platform height fixed their Mac version. I have previously opened the platform calibration in Windows using the beta version. I can't see how it would help running the VM otherwise - so perhaps it is a simple file create issue and we can touch the required file onto the SD directly.

benglish

Post by benglish » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:56 am

Hi!

Thanks for the Update! I'm printing out a test object now and look forward to seeing the improved fill spacing.
Do we need to update the ROM for this new update?

I just bought my second Up! printer as a backup for the first.

Sometime in the future can you please add the ability to disable supports completely during a print? There are many times I wish I could have done this. I know it will cause some prints to fail, but others become very difficult to remove the support material without damaging the print. How about adding a 0 degree or "No Support" option to the pull down tab where you set the maximum support angle?

Here is an example of something which would really benefit from having the option to disable support material:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12108
http://www.thingiverse.com/derivative:30644

I printed it on my rep-rap before I got the UP! so I know it's doable. I printed it on the UP as well, but the supports were difficult to remove, and in this case unnecessary.

Thanks. The Up! is a great product and I recommend it to all who ask.

+Blake

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:18 am

benglish wrote: Sometime in the future can you please add the ability to disable supports completely during a print? There are many times I wish I could have done this. I know it will cause some prints to fail, but others become very difficult to remove the support material without damaging the print. How about adding a 0 degree or "No Support" option to the pull down tab where you set the maximum support angle?
But you can disable it! :lol:
in the print dialog under "Preferences" in the "Support" section change the "Angle<:" down to "10 Deg" and the "Area>:" to "20mm2" and you should see almost all support off. :D

I am assuming we are talking Windows here, I do not support Mac, sorry. :(

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

benglish

Post by benglish » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your response, and your helpful posts all over this forum. I appreciate it/them. Windows. I'm aware of the support settings dialog, but even with the Angle set at <10 and the Area set to >20mm2, I get something like this:

There is also a whistle that I'd love to be able to print on the UP!
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1046
I was able to print this on my RepRap, but don't think it will work on the UP because of the support material that would be assigned to the insides!. Has anyone tried this?

In addition, PP3DP, thank you for moving the info box to the top of the window! Before when you'd click on a part to move it, the info box would pop up based on where the mouse pointer was and prevent you from moving the part to right/down. Thanks!

+Blake

DrewPetitclerc wrote:
benglish wrote: Sometime in the future can you please add the ability to disable supports completely during a print? There are many times I wish I could have done this. I know it will cause some prints to fail, but others become very difficult to remove the support material without damaging the print. How about adding a 0 degree or "No Support" option to the pull down tab where you set the maximum support angle?
in the print dialog under "Preferences" in the "Support" section change the "Angle<:" down to "10 Deg" and the "Area>:" to "20mm2" and you should see almost all support off. :D

Regards
Drew

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:43 pm

The info box problem was one of the reasons I did a lot of printing with 1.15 so great this was changed in 1.18.

Have you tried printing the whistle like this one below, we always print it during 3d print demos (the kids love them!) and with support on 10 degrees it prints fine. Or in Dutch ''een fluitje van een cent''.
whistle.JPG
benglish wrote:Hi Drew,

Thanks for your response, and your helpful posts all over this forum. I appreciate it/them. Windows. I'm aware of the support settings dialog, but even with the Angle set at <10 and the Area set to >20mm2, I get something like this:

There is also a whistle that I'd love to be able to print on the UP!
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1046
I was able to print this on my RepRap, but don't think it will work on the UP because of the support material that would be assigned to the insides!. Has anyone tried this?

In addition, PP3DP, thank you for moving the info box to the top of the window! Before when you'd click on a part to move it, the info box would pop up based on where the mouse pointer was and prevent you from moving the part to right/down. Thanks!

+Blake

DrewPetitclerc wrote:

Regards
Drew

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:30 am

You are right I missed the part about when learning to print with the UP you will learn through experience to rotate a model in the build envelope to get the best result of the least amount of support and what side of the part should have the best finish.
I take it for granted I have so much experience in the 3D modeling and CNC machining so I forget to mention these points sometimes to newer users.

Think about your models and what is the best orientation to get the desired results, that's why I love the rotate commands, you can go in any axis direction, it can even give you unexpected surface finishes that can be cool.
Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:18 pm

I am finding the full layer infill in this version to be poor compared to 1.3/1.17. The infill is not reaching the perimeter on curved surfaces. I've done a few examples and it seems pretty consistent. Square objects seem better than earlier versions that I've tried but curved edges seem to really confuse it. See below - I've tried this same print previously with earlier software and it was touching on the edges at least. Is this a flaw in the new software?
Attachments
IMG_0943.jpg
Infill Gaps
IMG_0943.jpg (83.72 KiB) Viewed 17537 times

benglish

Post by benglish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:59 pm

Indeed, rotating the models for the best print, and designing the parts themselves for manufacturability, in this case with the UP! 3D printer is second nature. However, I am confused as to why everyone is fighting so hard to keep this limitation and not have an option to disable supports entirely, so you wouldn't have to worry about an un-expected internal support...etc. The two specific examples I listed were only examples. There are always work-arounds for specific parts and processes (like the whistle), but that is not what I am (my intention is politely) asking PP3DP to consider. However, saying that a optional setting is not needed because we can come up with ways to work around one of the example seems a little short sighted. I'm not trying to start a "Give us control of the extruder temperature" rant here, just requesting a minor and (probably) easy software change for an optional setting. It's not like PP3DP, especaially after all the great decisions they've made, to not include a 0degree/No Support Setting.

They are willing to give their users the new "Shell" function which will cause many prints to fail, especially without proper understanding of what the software and printer are doing. However, with the proper understanding of the Shell function, it gives the user another tool for creating prints that they might not have been able to do otherwise. Some prints will still fail, however, that the user will learn from that. That's OK, and part of the process for a designer/engineer/creator/maker...etc. I have tested the shell function, and it worked with some pretty substantial unsupported areas. What I'm requesting is minor compared to that. I'm not even asking for an adjustable wall thickness (digital, I'd imagine, because they've calculated the ideal spacing for each layer height setting...maybe in "Lines") for the shell function.

I have printed many many objects on my UP! and always found ways to work around any limitations when they come up. However, they are still limitations, and this one seems like an easy one to fix. PP3DP has asked for comments and suggestions, this is my request. Please allow the user to disable support material use if they want to. Thank you.

Thank you for replying to my posts, Drew.

+Blake

DrewPetitclerc wrote:You are right I missed the part about when learning to print with the UP you will learn through experience to rotate a model in the build envelope to get the best result of the least amount of support and what side of the part should have the best finish.
I take it for granted I have so much experience in the 3D modeling and CNC machining so I forget to mention these points sometimes to newer users.

Think about your models and what is the best orientation to get the desired results, that's why I love the rotate commands, you can go in any axis direction, it can even give you unexpected surface finishes that can be cool.
Regards
Drew

benglish

Post by benglish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 am

I'll love to try to print that, but printing a whistle is not my ultimate goal here.
Can you give me a link to the whistle file?
Thanks,

+Blake

[quote="pp3dp.nl"]The info box problem was one of the reasons I did a lot of printing with 1.15 so great this was changed in 1.18.

Have you tried printing the whistle like this one below, we always print it during 3d print demos (the kids love them!) and with support on 10 degrees it prints fine. Or in Dutch ''een fluitje van een cent''.
whistle.JPG

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Oh sorry, I saw the whistle you would like to print but missed the point you were trying to make (I'm all for new options in the software too!). I believe the whistle in the example was this one:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16286

Perhaps if more people ask for this feature they will add it to the new version.
benglish wrote:I'll love to try to print that, but printing a whistle is not my ultimate goal here.
Can you give me a link to the whistle file?
Thanks,

+Blake
pp3dp.nl wrote:The info box problem was one of the reasons I did a lot of printing with 1.15 so great this was changed in 1.18.

whistle.JPG

benglish

Post by benglish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 am

One more thought, if you'll humor me.

When printing multiple parts during the same build, if the parts are moved closer together than the autoplace places them, their rafts overlap. There is still plenty of clearance between the parts, but when printing the rafts, the printer prints both rafts and overlaps them, depositing double the plastic in the overlap areas. In some future update, could you add something that checks to see if the rafts overlap each other and take the unnecessary steps to prevent double-printing. According to the update info for 1.18, you now do this for the edges of the print bed, and I was reminded of this (minor) issue.

I've attached a photo of the rafts overlapping. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the finished parts on the build tray or a screenshot of the software. The parts were cylindrical for the most part and had plenty of clearance.

Thanks again,

+Blake
RaftOverlap.JPG
RaftOverlap
RaftOverlap.JPG (108.09 KiB) Viewed 17494 times

LonV

Post by LonV » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:58 am

I think if you run Edit -> Merge...it'll create one raft for them all.

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 am

Lonv is right onto it.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

benglish

Post by benglish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 pm

LonV wrote:I think if you run Edit -> Merge...it'll create one raft for them all.
Fantastic! I'll try it out.

Thanks!

LonV

Post by LonV » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

One raft to rule them all!

DytHlt

Post by DytHlt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:19 pm

LonV wrote:One raft to rule them all!
And on the platform BIND THEM!

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 am

haha

benglish

Post by benglish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:51 am

Hi Guys,

Another question about version 1.18:

Running Windows. Up! Plus.
The pause function. I paused the print to take a look at something. However, when I went to resume the print nothing happened. I hit the button (resume I think) and nothing happened. The print nozzle tem didn't change. I waited a for a few minutes (way longer than normal extruder warmup time) and decided something was wrong. I was going to stop the print and start over, but got distracted. About 5-10 minutes later the UP! started printing again. This has happened once before, but I didn't give it as much time.

Is this normal?

Addition:
At the end of the 4-hour print the platform lowered, then the extruder went to it's home position, then started wiggling back and forth quickly before going to the center and diving straight into the newly finished print! It melted a hole in the top before I could turn it off. I'm guessing this is related to the pause thing because it's never done this before. Thoughts?

+Blake

Oral

Post by Oral » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:31 am

Hi,

First of all i like the new version of Up software . Nevertheless i have an issue with it. I couldn't make "set nozzle height" adjustment. Even though i could make platform adjustment well. The "set nozzle height" button should have redirected a question to user like that "Do test to confirm the setting?" and after "yes" clicked it should have asked "is the platform below the nozzle 0.2 to 0.8 mm ?" The new version doesn't give these questions. And the procedure(set nozle height) can't be done.

What should i do ?

DytHlt

Post by DytHlt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Oral wrote:Hi,

First of all i like the new version of Up software . Nevertheless i have an issue with it. I couldn't make "set nozzle height" adjustment. Even though i could make platform adjustment well. The "set nozzle height" button should have redirected a question to user like that "Do test to confirm the setting?" and after "yes" clicked it should have asked "is the platform below the nozzle 0.2 to 0.8 mm ?" The new version doesn't give these questions. And the procedure(set nozle height) can't be done.

What should i do ?
It does not ask the questions like you say, but It does change the nozzle height.
Just to see it work, do a drastic change, like set the platform to 90, then click "set nozzle height".