Problems Sticking to Bed

Share your experience with UP300!
RichScan

Problems Sticking to Bed

Post by RichScan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Been using the printer for a month or so with great success, but I'm now having all kinds of trouble getting stuff to stick to the boards for the entirety of the print. I've leveled the plate and set the nozzle height with the updated software (recent update to UP Studio requests use if manual adjustment after automated process). The print starts and the raft looks fine but a few layers into it and the raft starts detaching or pulls free of the board resulting in ball of extruded filament. I typically use perf board on ABS and flex board with PLA. reached a point where it seems I can't get anything to print now. I suspect it has to do with the nozzle height but adjusting up/down in small measure doesn't seems to help. Any advice? Do the boards need to be periodically cleaned? If so, what solution?

bjorn

Re: Problems Sticking to Bed

Post by bjorn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:17 pm

I use(d) flex board for both abs and pla, despite what tiertime said I found it to work better. I wipe it with isopropyl alcohol every few prints. Do not use Acetone on the flexboard, will destroy it.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 am

I've used acetone on both my TT flex board and "easly peelzy" surface and the results were great. Very small amounts used though, just a wipe over. This made the difference between failed prints and nicely stuck rafts.

As far as the perf board goes I've noticed new boards are far more likely to have raft problems than old ones. I've not tried but wondered about roughing up the surface a little?

Owen S.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:31 pm

Are you sure its acetone, and pure? Could be the flexboard i got with my UP Mini 2 is different, but one I wiped with acetone deliberately, but as I saw the paper came off black I knew that was a mistake; it instantly became very brittle and the surface cracked on the next print.

The second I was stupid enough to just place a 20ml beaker with acetone and clogged nozzles in on top of the hotbed set to 40C, with a scrap bcp as a lid. The minute amounts of acetone that evaporated and condensed against the pcb and flowed down the beaker to touch the bed did the exact same thing to a small circle around the beaker.

I would certainly try acetone on a very small section of a corner before wiping the whole thing, if it takes off the texture then maybe reconsider.

I lightly sanded the surface after the first acetone incident as it became totally smooth, and it did help with adhesion, but pieces of the black stuff came off with every print so short lived success.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:23 am

Hi bjorn. Ouch that sounds nasty.

Yes definitely pure acetone, though on UPBox boards in my case. I'd seen Angus do it on Maker's Muse and thought I'd try it. You can defiantly feel it dissolve the surface and then evaporate away. I'm not sure if it removed a top layer of "bad" surface or if the coating just dissolved in the acetone and then reformed as the acetone evaporated off. Either way the result was great and I've not had a dislocation since.

One other weird thing I'll mention in passing.
I'd used the auto level on the Upbox and the rafts were still failing. Nozzle too close on one area of the board such that it couldn't even lay down the initial layer, but elsewhere on the board it was perfect. (As it was PLA with the PLA extruder the nozzle didn't jam so it just missed this part of the raft and laid down layer 2 onto that part of the bed so the print would complete OK) The 9 point cal showed a max deviation of 0.6mm across the build plate so it should have handled this just fine. Repeated auto cal, no change. Deleted the cal values with the "reset" button in studio. Repeated auto cal. It put all the same values back in, but this time the raft was perfect.

Undersides of rafts, before on left, after on right, both have the same 9-point cal values. Hmmm?
Rafts.png
Rafts.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 434 times
Cheers, Owen S.

MWShawn

Post by MWShawn » Thu May 02, 2019 2:10 am

Hmmm, just did the reset of the cal values on our printer and all of a sudden we're back in business printing again. there seems to be a bug with the calibration on ours at least, you can run 2-3 prints just fine then reprint exactly the same thing and it will fail with the raft not adhering or air printing. recalibration has generally worked until last night when it just wouldn't print at all. Resetting the calibration values using the reset button in software seems to have helped and I now have a print on that looks fine.