How much glue to use for ABS? Print methods?

Share your experience with UP300!
cj7hawk

How much glue to use for ABS? Print methods?

Post by cj7hawk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:13 am

Hi All,

With your UP300's ( and I assume the UP box ) - How much glue should be used for reliable prints without rafts in ABS?

I've been trying different amounts, and the answer seems to be "Quite a lot" and also "Put it on when the bed is warm/hot".

Also, how many prints should you leave the glue on for? And how should it be removed when it's time for cleaning? ( And how best to clean glass? )

There are two build trays that come with the UP300, and one has a perfboard, and the other doesn't. I've been trying the perfboard model with the perfboard down and glass up to start, and results are good so far, but is this the right way?

And what is the plastic-looking surface intended for printing? Or is that only for putting face-down on the hotplate?

It's great that they provide these printers with all of the stuff that experience shows works - Kudos to Tiertime for that, but for those who haven't had a lot of experience with this model, what is the best way to get the best prints? Any suggestions?

Thanks
David

cj7hawk

Re: How much glue to use for ABS? Print methods?

Post by cj7hawk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:21 am

OK, I just spoke to the seller ( who is a 3D printing expert ) and he said the glue was for PLA, not ABS... But... It works so well for ABS...

So I get the feeling no one else has tried this in an UP300... All I can say is that if the glue is quite thick, it works great !

David

Pawly

Re: How much glue to use for ABS? Print methods?

Post by Pawly » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:57 pm

I have been using glue since the fourth print on my 300. The first two prints did not go so well (lifting issues), the third and fourth a little better. I use the glue that came with the 300. It does work well and I use it all the time now. I do find every now and again I get a little warping but it is not much. Mainly on tall skinnier prints, i.e. 25mm wide, 90mm high.
I normally print in ABS. My models are components for 1/72 scale warships. Australian, American, Russian.