Looking at buying UP300 but support?

Share your experience with UP300!
nzrnd

Looking at buying UP300 but support?

Post by nzrnd » Tue May 14, 2019 3:03 am

Hi,
we are looking at getting an UP300 where I work but just looking through the forums there seems to be a lot of outstanding issues with no comment from Tiertime about a possible fix timeline or even acknowledgement of issue.
Is this just because the UP300 is new or is this the norm?
To be honest, the UP300 was top of our list until I had a look around here.

cj7hawk

Re: Looking at buying UP300 but support?

Post by cj7hawk » Sat May 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Tiertime makes a nice printer. The biggest problem at the moment is the walls not sticking to the infill on one side, which is a pretty major bug. Aside from that, the machine works great. I really like the quality of the prints and it's fast and accurate, and if they get that one bug fixed, I'll be pretty happy with my purchase.

I want to put some trust in Tiertime, that they will fix the wall-infill-gap bug and will include G-Code and other capabilities that they have said they will support on high end models. They've been around for a long time, and these sort of actions are necessary to stay around for a longer time still, and I don't think they are fools.

Sure, I wouldn't recommend jumping in and getting one while the problems are still present if those problems are likely to get in our way, since there's no timeline for a fix. You might be waiting a few months, but in all likelihood, it will take more than a year to fix all the problems in the software and get the bugs out.

But that doesn't mean it won't get fixed. Tiertime still has a history of releasing versions and fixes. The support is slow, but it is present. I'm hopeful that the next version will address some of the more serious bugs and also provide G-Code support.

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Sat May 25, 2019 10:08 pm

I'll second what cj7hawk has said.

For me it is a great machine, but the walls not sticking to infill bug has put a serious damper on my use of the machine. If GCODE support would be added I could make all these issues go away by using Simplify3D or Slic3r, Cura, etc.. I filed a ticket essentially explaining, that as is, its problematic for me, and I asked them to add gcode support, a lot of back and forth later they said it will be supported in the next release. The next release rolled around a week or so later with no fix. I guess it didn't make it into that development cycle.

3 months later, I've filed another ticket to get gcode support added, to which their response is as per below:

screenshot1.PNG
screenshot1.PNG (45.36 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

The link to their new slicer has a download on the page. That software is SO far away from being finished. I'm not impressed, its unusable. Missing key features.. 80% of the user interface isn't there! The last software update release schedule was botched for the first day, doesn't inspire confidence. Also again, "soon". The last "soon" was 3 months ago and still haven't delivered! C'mon guys.

When I first bought it I was under the impression that gcode support would be there. Its not, don't count on it being there any time soon. I've considered trying to return the machine or dispute the transaction via my bank to return it since I cannot get strong parts out of it and now I'm not using it anymore. I'm using my old 3D printer again because this one doesn't work well enough for structural parts that need some strength. For the price, 100%, you should get more. Hardware side is good, but on the software side, when a new open source controller costs so little these days its hard to justify a proprietary system. I've considered taking out the controller in there and putting in a duetwifi or smoothieboard.

Don't buy this machine unless you don't mind not being able to tweak (what to me are) essential settings. (number of perimeters, infill to perimeter overlap for proper adhesion are the key settings). When it works, its fantastic. But when you hit a limitation in the system, you can't do anything about it because its a proprietary system.

cadcam

Post by cadcam » Sun May 26, 2019 8:46 am

The worry over access to software parameters is very worrying. The isssue re wall thickness etc is a long standing issue (I had email conversations with Tiertime 5 yrs ago) and there has been little movement. This is a great shame the hardware is excellent and for a little change in some functionality and the reviews/feedback would be so much better. The contining lack of access to functionality to improve strengths of models, especially on machines producing such high quality surfaces, must be reducing sales. Or is there an issue that increasing the number of perimeters and/or overlap with infill have a significant negative effect on the surface finish and precision.

bond87

Post by bond87 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:22 pm

I think by contacting the manufacturers they can be able to solve this challenge of UP300

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:20 am

Its now september (in my timezone as of 12hrs ago) and they said they'd have the next preview out in august.. don't hold your breath.