Anyone useing a wired Newtork connection / LAN

Share your experience with UP300!
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Anyone useing a wired Newtork connection / LAN

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 am

Hi folks.

Is anyone using a wired network connection to drive their UP300? I'm keen to know it works before buying.

Cheers, Owen S.

TiertimeBrook

Re: Anyone useing a wired Newtork connection / LAN

Post by TiertimeBrook » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 am

We tested with the LAN network connection sucessfully , and will waitting here to see others sharing the experences.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks, I expected to hear the manufacturer say it works, but I'd like to hear from a customer too.

I'm looking to move some printers out of our office and into a workshop so if the LAN doesn't work then my manager will think I'm an idiot for promising something, spending a lot of money, and then failing to deliver. The history with Tiertime and WiFi is mixed at best so as this stage I mean no offense but I'm not willing to believe what I read in a advert.

Cheers,
Owen S.

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:30 am

Sorry for such a late response - Just saw this.

I've been using Ethernet exclusively for some time now. I had both ethernet and USB for a while, but managed to break my USB cable, so now just use Ethernet.

Problems exist with first recognition of the cable, and sometimes I have to click on "add printer" twice at startup for some reason, but that's about it. When it fails, the options shows up but is greyed out the first time. It's not much of an issue so I don't really consider it a problem.

Speed is good, picking up an address is quick, and while I haven't tried sending information from off-network, I don't think it would work - That's a major deficiency in the ethernet implementation, that you can't manually add a printer by IP address as you can with Windows, so it's not going to work extra-segment even though theoretically it should. That's a software related problem though, and not a hardware one.

I connect to an auto-detecting switch, and no problems there. I think they use a common standard ethernet module that does most of the work. I've never tried sniffing the traffic, so I don't know what ports it uses, but since you need to be on the same segment, and support broadcast/multicast (layer2) protocols for it to work, which is default for most switches, that's not an issue for me.

If you've used wireless, then you know how the ethernet interface works as well - it has the same strengths and weaknesses, and to be honest, I'd really prefer it if it worked like a normal network device, and not some "smart" broadcast device, because all the tests I've completed so far confirm it doesn't work with Cisco related Wifi equipment, which is a LOT of places, but I don't think it has any problems with Cisco switches, though I didn't specifically plug it into a Cisco switch to check ( I use a netgear switch ).

As an added note, I'm a network engineer. I've been designing Internet services for more than 25 years, and work professionally as a network troubleshooter, so I tend to notice network related issues, and aside from the few above, it's been all good for me - I've gone through about 3 upgrades of firmware, and ethernet works as of the latest beta also without any experienced issues, aside from the occasional air printing, but that's not network related.

Printer monitoring over ethernet has never failed ( eg, watching temperature etc ) so no disconnects or related issues have been experienced.

So ethernet is still my chosen interface of choice, and I work around the limitations of Up Studio as per the above. If wireless worked a little better, I'd use that also. If I had to give a score to the implementations;

1) USB - 8 out of 10 - points lost for failing to include on-board memory management tools.
2) WiFi - 6 out of 10 - Points lost same as USB + fails to work with common Wifi systems that don't support multicast.
3) Ethernet - 8 out of 10 - Less likely than Wifi to fail, and still loses points as USB does, but gains a point for convenience.

Hope this helps -
David.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 am

Hi David.

Great information, many thanks for putting the time in, it's much appreciated.

Thanks,
Owen S.