ABS warping on the larger build plate.

Share your experience with UP300!
cj7hawk

ABS warping on the larger build plate.

Post by cj7hawk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 am

So I am doing some experimental printing at the moment, seeing what works, and noticed that the ABS prints on larger objects ( fully side to side on the plate, but narrow in depth ) with raft beneath them tend to warp even if the plate is set to preheat at 100% and the plate is cleaned with alcohol prior to printing.

It seems the most likely cause was the excessively straight supports coming up from the raft which curved upwards as the hot plastic on top cooled. This doesn't usually happen if the plastic is thicker, so I think the thin straight lines are the cause.

Is there any way to set the maximum, support length before it installs a bridge or other component to make warping less possible? I think if the maximum straight section of a support was around 30mm before a break, then warping on the raft probably would not occur as the forces would be distributed differently on the raft on the plate.

Has anyone else noticed this also?

Thanks
David

cj7hawk

Re: ABS warping on the larger build plate.

Post by cj7hawk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:45 pm

OK, might be related to poor calibration. I checked the factory calibration, and the actual point where the raft was lifting was supposed to be around 0.14 and should have been around 0.3 to 0.4. I'll try another large print tomorrow and see what happens.

David.

TiertimeBrook

Post by TiertimeBrook » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:10 am

Hi David,
You can also try adjust the material Peel ratio to a higher value by add new material and test the result.

Regards
Brook

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 am

Hi Brook,

Is there anywhere where I can find out what each of these settings do, and how changes affect the setting?

Thanks
David

TiertimeBrook

Post by TiertimeBrook » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:33 am

Hi David

In our latest version UP Studio, the Material Profile Manager is in Maintenance and the choose the material,then go to customized material,then you can add and edit the material and setting these functions.

Regards
Brook