ABS warping on the larger build plate.

Share your experience with UP300!
cj7hawk

ABS warping on the larger build plate.

Post by cj7hawk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 am

So I am doing some experimental printing at the moment, seeing what works, and noticed that the ABS prints on larger objects ( fully side to side on the plate, but narrow in depth ) with raft beneath them tend to warp even if the plate is set to preheat at 100% and the plate is cleaned with alcohol prior to printing.

It seems the most likely cause was the excessively straight supports coming up from the raft which curved upwards as the hot plastic on top cooled. This doesn't usually happen if the plastic is thicker, so I think the thin straight lines are the cause.

Is there any way to set the maximum, support length before it installs a bridge or other component to make warping less possible? I think if the maximum straight section of a support was around 30mm before a break, then warping on the raft probably would not occur as the forces would be distributed differently on the raft on the plate.

Has anyone else noticed this also?

Thanks
David

cj7hawk

Re: ABS warping on the larger build plate.

Post by cj7hawk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:45 pm

OK, might be related to poor calibration. I checked the factory calibration, and the actual point where the raft was lifting was supposed to be around 0.14 and should have been around 0.3 to 0.4. I'll try another large print tomorrow and see what happens.

David.

TiertimeBrook

Post by TiertimeBrook » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:10 am

Hi David,
You can also try adjust the material Peel ratio to a higher value by add new material and test the result.

Regards
Brook

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 am

Hi Brook,

Is there anywhere where I can find out what each of these settings do, and how changes affect the setting?

Thanks
David

TiertimeBrook

Post by TiertimeBrook » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:33 am

Hi David

In our latest version UP Studio, the Material Profile Manager is in Maintenance and the choose the material,then go to customized material,then you can add and edit the material and setting these functions.

Regards
Brook

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:51 am

Hi Brook,

This isn't so much about removing material ( which I've played with and seems great even though I haven't had to use the feature yet ) but more that when a part is very long, rather than have support material run as a single segment, if you segmented it so that the maximum length of support material was, say, 2cm, then you could have multiple columns build up and then run a bridge over all of them so that the force was distributed in the upper support structure, rather than at the raft level, which leads to lifting.

Does that make sense or did I do a poor job describing it - I can draw a diagram if that helps?

Thanks
David

TiertimeBrook

Post by TiertimeBrook » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:19 am

Hi David,
The peel ratio not only works with removing the prints, sometimes it works with the prints wrapping issue due to the not perfect material parameter. if you have a diagram on it, I would like to check ,that will helps on solving the problem.

Brook

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:24 am

Try increase heatbed temperature to 120c, and let it preheat for a long time. Ideally you'd have ambient temperature really high, some people put a towel over it to increase internal temperature. When its 27c in my printing room, and its preheated for a long time, 120c, ambient inside is 60c.

EDIT: correction, I was using 110c. If you try set 120c in the software, it will just use 90c.

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:11 am

Another method I've found is ABS juice (acetone + ABS to make a slurry). Not thick, it should be thin so don't add too much filament. Then put a teaspoon of it on the perf board. Spread it using the spatula/scraper tool. Rafts will stick like a :twisted: but still be removable and all the crap scrapes off just fine after the print. No more sticking issues! 110c on the heatbed and preheating for an hour, like I mentioned in my last post helps a lot too.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:16 am

I'd caution against using acetone on the flex board, i tried cleaning it with acetone and acetone disolves the material, and also made it very brittle so it cracked on the next print. Isopropyl alcohol is fine.

Perfboard is ok as JothamB describes, just not the flexboard.

fastm3

Post by fastm3 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 am

bjorn wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:16 am
I'd caution against using acetone on the flex board, i tried cleaning it with acetone and acetone disolves the material, and also made it very brittle so it cracked on the next print. Isopropyl alcohol is fine.
I always have been using abs juice on my perfboard of my zortrax M200s. The current one should have about 2500 hours and still ok.
Arghh, I've only probably 200hours with my new up300 using the same method. So far , so good as I don't clean the board between the prints but I should probably buy one spare more quickly if material is damaged by the acetone. Thanks for the warning.
I can live with that is price of spare flexboards is not high.
Sure Alcohol is ok but it won't never clean a plate with abs juice on it. And ABS juice is really mandatory if you need to print large abs parts.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:29 am

You can always remove the "buildtak" style surface and use the flexboard as a perfboard once its past its prime, natural causes or otherwise.

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:09 am

I might put a PEI sheet on my one to replace "buildtak" type surface at some point if I don't like the buildtak for PLA (I have yet to test it). My Original Prusa i3 has PEI on the bed and its a delight for PLA.