Can third party filaments be used on a Mini 2 ES?

Share your experience with UP mni 2 ES!
rslaufer

Post by rslaufer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:14 pm

I can print with Tiertime's PLA and ABS without any problems, BUT when I tried a silver colored pure PLA type filament I found on Amazon, I get through a few layers of my print and then my nozzle gets clogged and I need to extract the filament and cut the frayed gear marked end and re-insert it for another try.

I've used the filament manager - I've adjusted the heat up as well as down without any consistent effect. I have tried the filament speed as well, without any consistent benefit.

Is this just the way it is with the Mini 2 ES - am I locked into Tiertime filaments, or is there something that I am missing when attempting to "dial in" a third party filament???

I could really use some wisdom, regarding this problem.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: Can third party filaments be used on a Mini 2 ES?

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:47 am

Hi.

Yes, you can use non TT filament.

Sorry but your post doesn't give nearly enough to work with:-
First thought is what have you actually bought?
Is it a reputable material?
If so it should come with a datasheet giving a decent starting point for print settings. If it's not then throw it away, it's not worth your time.
What settings are you using, what exactly did the prints look like?
Is it dry?
Is the nozzle just clogged and the material has nothing to do with it...
etc. etc.

I'm sure someone will help.
Cheers,
Owen S.

rslaufer

Post by rslaufer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks for the reply!

I bought it from Amazon: Silk Silver PLA 1.75mm 3D Printer Filament 1KG (2.2LBS) Printing Materials Silky Shiny PLA Metal Silver Like CC3D.

I don't see any "data sheet", but their Amazon entry recommends: Recommended Printing Temp: 195 - 230 °C Recommended Printing Speed: 30 - 60 mm/s Heated Bed: Not required but can be used (up to 60 °C)

I have tried printing temperatures all the way from 195 to 230 in 5-degree increments, I have dialed down the extrusion speed to as low as 20.

It came sealed airtight with a desiccant in place - I have read that PLA isn't particularly hygroscopic.

The nozzle continues to work great for any Tiertime ABS or PLA that I try, but this stuff only works for a few layers (5 or 6?) and then very little gets extruded, and finally, nothing gets extruded. In order to try again with this filament I have to extract the filament, cut off the "chewed on" portion from the gear attempting to extrude it, and re-insert the filament, then the same thing happens after a few layers, but if I use my Tiertime stuff it will print for hours and hours without any clogging at all!

I will try another manufacturer's brand ("Tianse") to see if is just CC2D or this particular roll, but I would really like to try other brands with different colors, etc.

ethanbayne

Post by ethanbayne » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 pm

I've been having a horrendous time myself with 3rd party filaments on the Mini 2 ES. The drive gear keeps clogging on the stuff. I've tried Innofil PET and Formfutura Premium ABS and have not had one successful print. Funnily enough, the other Formfutura ABS I have -- Formfutura ABS Pro -- has had no issue whatsoever with the standard ABS profile. :?

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:07 pm

I've used 3-4 different PLA brands, but primarily Wanhao branded PLA and lots of Wanhao branded ABS. I have the plain Mini 2 though, shouldn't be much differences.

Flashforge PLA fits in the caddie and works well, the Wanhao almost fits, but creates too much drag; so external spool holder is required for anything over 5-600g spools I would say. Have bought PETG and TPE to try, but printer has been broken down for months while waiting for replacement so don't know if they work yet.