Filament coming up during printing

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
BrianLas24

Filament coming up during printing

Post by BrianLas24 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:24 pm

My Up Mini 2 is about 15 months old. No real problems until now. Using PLA (Tiertime Premium PLA) I start a print job and the filament does not stay put, and gets stuck to the extruder. It ends up sort of "balling up" at the extruder.

bjorn

Re: Filament coming up during printing

Post by bjorn » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Try cleaning the nozzle and tell printer to extrude into air. If the plastic doens't extrude straight down but still curls up it could be indicative that the orifice of your nozzle is damaged, or hard to clean.

JothamB

Post by JothamB » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:51 pm

Have you cleaned the print surface with 100% acetone or isopropyl alcohol? Its essential it is clean, don't get fingerprints on it.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:29 am

I know others have success with acetone, but I wrecked my flex boards for the Up Mini 2 with acetone - so try a small area in a corner first if you use acetone on the flex board. The perfboard can take it no problem. Both are okay with Isopropyl alcohol

BrianLas24

Post by BrianLas24 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks for the replies.

When I extrude filament, it comes out pretty straight, looks normal.
I ran a print job using ABS and it seemed to go flawlessly.

I have not cleaned the Flex board yet, but I had two and the issue started just recently and occurs on both boards. I will look at cleaning them (I have not in the 15 months I have had them) and see what happens.

How do you clean the nozzle?
Do you remove it? How do you remove it?

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:08 pm

If the plastic comes out straight I doubt there is a problem that is solved by cleaning. Unless reduced flow is the culprit.

In any case just unscrew the nozzle with the wrench included in the box. Should be a spare nozzle as well, the old can be easily soaked in Acetone to remove ABS or Ethyl Acetate to remove PLA. If you go mechanical, try to avoid the actual orifice as its easy to change the shape or dimensions with abrasion.