Extruder stepper makes chugging sound

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
mazerial

Extruder stepper makes chugging sound

Post by mazerial » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi, I've been having trouble with my up mini 2.

I bought my first one off of Amazon, and had the same trouble, so they sent me a replacement. After about a spool of filament, the same issue is showing up. So this is round two.

What happens (both times, essentially) is the printer printed beautifully for about 1 spool. Then I got a jam in the nozzle. I removed the jam, and tried to recalibrate the nozzle height (in case it was slightly different) and ever since I've had issues. It seems that the material is coming out unevenly, and the extruder stepper starts to make a chug, chug, chug noise.

However, when I run the extrude filament function, it seems fine and no noise.

I've also noticed that sometimes the bed seems too close to the nozzle, but other times it does not. Of course if I see that, I re-calibrate with the little card.

I can't find any spalling or chipped filament in the extruder gears (that's absolutely clean).

I'm currently running Amazon basics ABS at 250C (per their specs) and was using that for awhile with no issues until this happened. If I run it at the temp for the Tiertime ABS, it seems too hot, and I run into issues separating the raft and supports. However they've been breaking off perfectly at this setting, so I'm reluctant to change.

It seems too soon to need to replace the stepper, but I'm willing to go there, and not sure where else to look at this point. However the bed height not seeming to stay consistent is also worrying. But as I've indicated, it seems that this chugging noise happens either way. Sometimes the print will start ok for a few layers, and then start. Sometimes it starts from the beginning of the print.

I've spent a couple days working on this, this time around. So I thought I'd see if anyone else had similar experiences, or a fix.

Thanks!

Trav

Re: Extruder stepper makes chugging sound

Post by Trav » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:15 am

Hi. I assume you are discussing the up mini 2 and not the ES.
I bought the up mini 2 for my teen son several years ago and we couldn't be more happy with it. The first thing we did was ditched the spool holder with plastic tubing and installed an external spool holder right on top of the box.This eliminated some friction on the filament being pulled by the extruder. This one worked best for us with a few modifications.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2302267

we printed a new top and made modifications to it that allows for the filament to go to the extruder.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1966769

We print most of the ABS prints on the PLA board with no raft because it's easier. To do this we need to make careful bed calibrations and adjust temperature to a good flow, and we almost never use manufactures recommend temperatures.
When we print PLA we always leave the top panel off otherwise the extruder will make the pla filament to soft for the extruder gear to push.

Remember to purge your nozzle with high temperature setting after switching different types of filaments.

bjorn

Post by bjorn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:21 am

If you dissasemble the extruder and try extruding filament without the heater and nozzle attached you can get a feel for how strong the motor is, just take care to not let the loose heater burn you or anything else as it needs to be attached to allow the extruder to turn after its reached printing temperature.

(Unless Tiertime can suggest some custom g-code to allow cold extruding?)

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:34 pm

I'd go back to basics first. TT fillament melts at higher temps than other ABS brands so is less prone to heatsoak in the extruder causing jams. I'd remove the nozzle, extrude genuine TT filament through it (still without a nozzle) and if that is OK fit a new nozzle and try a couple of prints. Then if all that goes well then try to tune in aftermarket filaments.
Cheers,
Owen S.