X Axis Stepper Motor jamming

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
GaryBarnes

X Axis Stepper Motor jamming

Post by GaryBarnes » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:38 am

The X (left / right) axis stepper motor on my Up Mini 2 is intermittently jamming. This is resulting in the printing moving to the right until finally the print is entirely printed on the extreme right hand side. I think the printer is probably now outside of it's warranty period. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement stepper motor for the Up Mini 2 and / or a suitable repair place in Australia that could fix it?

bjorn

Re: X Axis Stepper Motor jamming

Post by bjorn » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:21 am

Are you certain it is the motor that is the issue? They're generally the most robust component in there.

Motors had no markings, and only data i could measure what the phase resistance of around 22 ohm. For mounting you just need to match the correct Nema XX size which defines the mounting holes and faceplate. Then the current and torque rating more or less determines the length of the motor. Output shaft can vary a little, get the correct diameter and flat/D shaft.

I'm intending to examine the board to see if I can determine what current Tiertime has configured the steppers to use, but not sure when I find the time.

You could swap the X and Y motors to test your theory btw - just swap the blue and red connectors on the board and try to home the printer. (Swap both the 2 and 4 pin connectors otherwise it will hit the limit switch and keep crashing).

bjorn

Re: X Axis Stepper Motor jamming

Post by bjorn » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:50 am

Oh, and mentioned before - DO NOT connect and disconnect motors when motors have power supplied. (Printer sleeping is okay, off better)