How to change filament?

Share your experience with UP mni 2!
Grudunza

How to change filament?

Post by Grudunza » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Hey all. Enjoying my new printer. Already made a bunch of nice little things. But at this point, I'm thinking I'd like to try some other colors than the provided white. So I go to change the filament to a yellow I bought and realize, wait, I don't really know how to do that. The manual only seems to describe changing during a print, and even then, doesn't describe very much. But what about just changing any time?

Regardless, I figured I'd just try to follow what it says for changing during a print, so I paused during a print, pressed Withdraw, but then what? I didn't see the old filament coming out. I tried lightly pulling on it after the noise ended and the arrow button seemed to stop moving, but it was still very snugly in there. I didn't want to forcibly pull it out. Or is that what you need to do?? This printer is great, but I've found the instructions to be just a little bit lacking, where they tell you most things, but leave out a couple of details here and there, or assumes you know certain things as a given.

So anyway, can someone please give me a detailed, "For Dummies" description of what's supposed to happen when you change filaments?

Thanks!

TiertimeBrook

Re: How to change filament?

Post by TiertimeBrook » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:55 am

Hello,
You can just do it in a simply way, cut the current filament and leave a short of it on the extruder, and then put the new filament when the old material reaching run out ,push the new material by hand to keep the printing continues when the new material goes into the extruder tube,then the new material printing starting , make sure use the same material type, PLA or ABS.

Brook

Grudunza

Post by Grudunza » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:40 pm

What if you want to change to PLA?

Grudunza

Post by Grudunza » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Side note: I'm getting a message that says "almost out of material," when there's plenty left. I click to print it, anyway, but presumably that message shouldn't come up, right?

TiertimeBrook

Post by TiertimeBrook » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:18 am

when got message"almost out of material" you need reset the material weight ,you can choose 0.5kg or 1 kg for a new spool,
The printer cannot change the material like from ABS to PLA during the printing, because when imported the model, the parameters of the model are fixed like the layer, material and temperature etc, So it cannot change the material type.